Vmware and NFS

Liquidkristal

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, I'm a massive fan of iSCSI, but I'm evaluating a couple of qnaps that we picked up for cold storage if you will (files, stuff thats not accessed that often), the qnaps were selected for their replication tools (specifically RRTR).

Now from my experiences yesterday it seems that vmware is more than happy to play with NFS (and its nice and straight forward to setup). The 1 thing I seem to be missing is the ability to attach the NFS share as a RDM (iSCSI can do this).

is NFS purely a place to stick VMDK's (Which by all accounts will make RRTR pointless) or am I missing something really simple.

Plan B is to go back to iSCSI (so it fits in with the rest of the platform and point our veeam server in its direction and use replication on a continuous cycle)

so its like a windows share, you can't do anything other than put a VMDK in it if you're using Vmware?

Correct. Well, not just vmdk - I mean if you create a guest, vsphere puts the vmx, vswp and all the other files there.

Looks like Plan B is the way to the future, as they don't support incremental LUN backups.

And Synology supports remote replication too. It's called Synology High Availability.

Very few good reasons to use RDMs anyway... NFS is very popular in the vSphere world.

Well the NFS mission is driven by trying to utilise the RRTR functionality that comes with the QNAP's, the current idea (not favoured by me at all) is to mount the NFS inside the windows VM, so we are storing small files in there so the RRTR works.

In my mind disks are controlled by the host and are added to machines at the host level to maintain a clear security / configuration boundary.

I've only just got the last MS iSCSI drive removed and now its NFS time.

We have a 2 RDM's running, and both of those are to provide 3TB volumes for larger clients, but with 5.5 supporting 62TB VMDK's that will not be a problem by the end of the year

Back