cageymaru

Fully [H]
VLC lead developer Jean-Baptiste Kempf gave a talk at FOSDEM 19 where he discussed new features that are coming in the open source VLC 4.0 release. The VLC development team reverse engineered the VR headsets on the market to add support via OpenHMD. Support for HDR, a new video filter API, new UI, clock, 360 degree video and 3D audio are planned for VLC 4.0. Support for older OS platforms will be phased out such as Windows XP and Vista. Phoronix also found the slide deck and a video of the talk from FOSDEM 19.

VLC lead developer Jean-Baptiste Kempf talked about their plans for version 4.0, codenamed Otto Chriek. For VLC 4.0 they want a new playlist, a redone user-interface, a new video output architecture that supports VR/3D content, and removal of old platforms. They also want support for 360 degree video, 3D audio, support for desktop VR head-mounted displays like the HTC Vive and Oculus via OpenHMD. Other video output work also includes better high dynamic range (HDR) support and a video filter API.

One of the more unique uses of my Vive is buying discount 3D blurays to watch in a simulated theater. Works amazing for watching movies in 3D.

One of the more unique uses of my Vive is buying discount 3D blurays to watch in a simulated theater. Works amazing for watching movies in 3D.

I have thought about doing that with my rift, but would need to get an external drive as I have a small case with no optical drive. What program do you use to play the video?

side note:

would really wish they would fix the broken .ogm support.
sadly i have alot of files in that format from when its was suppossed to be the new shit

This is huge.
It would be great to see high resolution 360* camera go mainstream and more refined "viewer" HMD.

VLC is such a legendary tool. At first glance it looks like the most bullshit nonsense media player on the planet. But the GUI only really covers about 40% of what it can actually do via the CLI. Its CLI syntax can be confusing but Its actually documented pretty well. I was very active on the support forums for a few years, and even communicated with the lead developer. Its amazing what what those guys have done with it. Super happy for them. My goto media player of choice.

VLC is not my preferred player. But 360 video support was useful. They added it back in 2017 in 3.0 beta. I thought it long since went into the release version.

Otherwise VLC just never felt right to me. And most of the time didn't work well either. I'll continue using MPC-HC as long as possible.

Back