Visual and Performance issues after 4 different PC builds with different parts over 4 months (Need Help!)

Yes sir all the same Lian Li Lancool Mesh 2 Performance Case. It did cross my mind is there some way for the case to wreak havoc? Board is on all ATx stands but IDK. Yes i've benched all of the builds with 3d mark and heaven mostly. 3d mark im usually pretty close or right under average. Heaven score at my friends house last night was 2728. The scores seem to be close to fine its just what things visually look like and random frame drops sometimes.

Ya i heard that with a 3070 you shouldnt even really use G sync but with the frametime issues i had before g sync i keep that baby on no matter what.
not benchmark, bench test, parts out of the case.
edit: also, have you tried dropping the settings, make sure its not a post processing/hbao issue or something like that.

not benchmark, bench test, parts out of the case.
edit: also, have you tried dropping the settings, make sure its not a post processing/hbao issue or something like that.
OH, Test Bench. Personally i haven't but Micro Center claimed to pull the board out of the case and have it running well. I'll probably end up doing that very soon if i decide to replace the RAM since its stuck behind the cooler.

I have turned off most settings within games and turned them on to see if it would change anything and it didn't, also did this forced through n control panel. I will try that again tomorrow though. I remember with VR games i did a ton of tweaking when it came to post processing since it can make or break those experiences.

I'm pretty intrigued by this, I don't think different ram is going to make a difference as your problems are with the visual part of games, bad ram would make your whole computer unstable even to the point of beeing unusable but stranger things have happened.

if possible can you post some pictures of the inside of your pc or check everything is plugged in correctly?

drive back to your friend's house and try a bench test. Try one of his DP cables. Try his RAM.

also, you realize you can screen record with a press of keyboard keys?! Not sure why you think your phone is faster...

drive back to your friend's house and try a bench test. Try one of his DP cables. Try his RAM.

also, you realize you can screen record with a press of keyboard keys?! Not sure why you think your phone is faster...
Eliminates the possibility that it's the screen - although if a screen recording is clean, but the screen itself isn't, that says something.

I'd definitely do this on a bench - build it all on a piece of cardboard and see how it runs (motherboard box works great for this). If it's clean, the issue is the case (which yes, I've had, seen, and experienced).

Looks like a beauty. Would you guys go for replacing the ram sticks with lets say corsair vengeance first or buy the UPS (how long does the battery last in terms of lifespan?)
My 1350 lasted 7 years, just replaced them for $35 a piece.

Eliminates the possibility that it's the screen - although if a screen recording is clean, but the screen itself isn't, that says something.

I'd definitely do this on a bench - build it all on a piece of cardboard and see how it runs (motherboard box works great for this). If it's clean, the issue is the case (which yes, I've had, seen, and experienced).
This would answer important questions with the screen capture idea.....is the picture good at a certain point? Cause if it wasn't then that's important to know

I've had issues like this when overclocking too much so I was thinking it was power or GPU related, but you already replaced your GPUs twice and your PSU once so I guess we can rule that out. I think the UPS option is your best bet to try now. You can run those RAM tests for free in the meantime. If you don't want to fork over $200 for the UPS that you know will isolate the problem, if you need a UPS for something else around the house anyway you could try a cheaper one from microcenter for $30-50 before pulling the trigger on the more expensive one.

I would also try running an OS from a thumb drive just to rule out the SSD (although as others have mentioned, it's probably not the SSD). I would just throw linux mint or something on it, load up a compatible game from your steam library, and see if the issue repeats. This way you rule out any windows software or driver issues and the SSD in one go.

This would answer important questions with the screen capture idea.....is the picture good at a certain point? Cause if it wasn't then that's important to know
Totally AGREE, Just so everyone knows where im at im currently encoding screen captured footage through windows since i did not know windows had it built into the game bar. I found out the hard way though bringing it into premiere that the video is half green at the bottom for some reason so im going to re record the clips real quick with g force exp or something and post that along with all my BIOS settings tonight!

I will also post pictures of my PSU setup and what it looks like inside the case!

Wanted to add the MOBO code sometimes lands on 40 for my x570 gaming E dont know if that helps? Read it had something to do with fast boot and cache?

EDIT: Lol will have new stuff uploaded in the morning PST this render of screencapture is taking forever to keep the original source clean!

Last edited:

I will definitely bring the build to my friends house when hes around again and pull the PC out of the case to rule it out! Thanks for the INFO.

Ok after rendering for hours haha. Heres Some Footage with notes and i also recorded 3d mark so all can see. Watch in 1440p.

EDIT: SO JUST WATCHED THE VIDEOS ON MY SECOND MAC WITH A HIGHER RESOLUTION AND THE ISSUES ARE MUCH MORE APPARENT, SO TAKE WHAT I SAID BELOW, WHICH WAS NOTES ON MY OTHER MAC, WITH A LOWER RESOLUTION, WITH A GRAIN OF SALT (TRY AND WATCH ON 1440p FULL SCREEN TO SEE PIXELIZATION AND ALL OF THAT IN FULL GLORY) (IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO UPLOAD ORIGINAL VIDEOS SOMEWHERE INSTEAD OF YOUTUBE LET ME KNOW!)

Is this all linked to games not being able to handle high resolutions? Is there a way to reap the benefits or high resolution without running into all of these visual inconsistencies?

Anything i circle with the mouse during video I’m personally seeing heavy pixelization, aliasing, artifacting or just ugly textures on the PC. Now i can see in the recorded video some of the stuff doesn’t exist for me when looking at it on my Mac while others are still there.

Video compression really helps the issues as it kind of muddies things up. Like text on my screen is super jagged but I’m not sure if the text is softened by the compression of the video or a monitor pipeline issue on the PC side.

Doom Eternal Pixelization is way less pronounced in the recorded footage. Is this because Geforce experience isn’t recording the full bit depth? The video is definitely softer than the actual experience, but i actually prefer how the video looks because what i see is much more jagged and ugly and less fluid.

If you pause when the Doom Demons flash orange you can see that it still shows up in the footage but its just way toned down compared what you’ve seen in the videos of what i see visually.

Doom footage also when you see me aim at the sky with the scope you can see the sky break apart and pretty bad banding on the edges of the Sniper scope.

Everything seems a bit jumpy to me with what looks like not the best frame times? What do you guys think?

So while i think the gameplay looks better in the video recording watching it on my other computer, artifacting of the rocket launcher smoke still exists, and a feeling of slushee gameplay feels like motion blur making up for stutter when i play.

L4D2 has pretty bad banding in the skyboxes and this still came through in the footage. Also loading screens look like 480p or something.

Prodeus Shimmering and aliasing and pixelization of smoke and lava is still there but somehow it is much less eye gouging. Softer image with detail is just better than a hyper jagged image.

Star Wars Squadrons: You can see the bizarre macro blocking in the opening EA video. I was on my PC seeing pixelization in the clouds and the two circular HUD things within the x wing cockpit (extremely apparent on my end). Also all the menu text I’m clicking on is super jagged, blurry and easy to spot but in the video it appears more like it should or was smoothed out from compression. Also some frame time issues when i nose dive up and down?

Overwatch: Screen tearing is extreme as i viewed it and recorded it but watching the video back there is no screen tearing!? Now geforce recorded the video at 60fps not the 144 that is set in monitor and game and i don’t know if that would effect the recording of screen tearing, but it is interesting that is just flat out doesn’t show up, and it was extreme screen tearing on that metal pole.

On the edges of each card for each character there were no straight lines just jagged step like jaggies around the rim of each plaque.

Loading screen for practice range on my monitor looked like 480p blown up but in the recording it does look a bit better i think.

At the end the guys youtube video, in his control panel, the text is unreadable for me its just overly sharpened and dances around. Which it does still slightly move , if you look close at the text on his control panel. Could this be trans-coding smoothing out his video a bit? I doubt it because it was unreadable.

Now I’m watching this footage on my macbook pro which has much deeper blacks, I’ve noticed, and that helps hide things a bit also, but I’m very curious to see what you guys think.

Its obvious that many of the issues still exist like in the Doom footage with pixelization, artifacting of the smoke, banding of skyboxes (L4D) and Sniper Scope having banding on the edges. While problems that are very visible in Star wars Squadrons are much harder to see in the recorded video and at the very least dampened by atleast 50 percent to my eye on the big monitor. (ON 2nd HIGHER RESOLUTION MAC WAS EASIER TO SEE VISUAL ISSUES)

As i was doing all of this the Coil Whine was squealing all over the place also.

So still curious about those voltage drops in GPUZ and stress on the PSU and GPU (making me lean towards trying that UPS, even though my friends house was similar to mine).

Onto 3d Mark:

3d mark looks pretty decent. The Aliasing on all of those metallic crystal things is worse on my monitor, but still present in the recordings.

What do you guys think about the frame times am i crazy? I still think in lateral moves and certain areas it chokes a good bit, which i see in Doom and other areas also. (Screen capture was happening at the same time i know, but even with Screen capture turned off its around the same. Slightly higher end score without screen recording on though.)

I'm pretty intrigued by this, I don't think different ram is going to make a difference as your problems are with the visual part of games, bad ram would make your whole computer unstable even to the point of beeing unusable but stranger things have happened.

if possible can you post some pictures of the inside of your pc or check everything is plugged in correctly?
Thanks for the interest! Ya im just trying to get to the bottom of all of this. Has been such a long journey. Heres a couple quick pics of inside of my PC and PCIE cables run to the PSU as i was building it. Will try and get some more high quality pictures ASAP.

Also, figured it would be smart to drop all the BIOS settings here also, and how asus has it pre setup. DOCP is on but turning it off doesnt change anything.

EDIT: Also all the PSU cables are provided by Corsair so the two 8 pin connections you see going into the graphics card are not the pig tails, they are the two main 8 Pin PCIE, ziptied together. Will be really happy to repalce that big mess of cables in the future once everything feels stable.

Attachments

• 167592433_1652526591605357_5396840800819655187_n.jpg
    167592433_1652526591605357_5396840800819655187_n.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 166311713_2169933073183997_8540873324931284615_n.jpg
    166311713_2169933073183997_8540873324931284615_n.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0
  • 167399315_823143941893339_1891411468588275383_n.jpg
    167399315_823143941893339_1891411468588275383_n.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 168100031_3816451335129144_5349072801582694685_n.jpg
    168100031_3816451335129144_5349072801582694685_n.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 0
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Thanks for the tip! I used the gamebar to capture the new footage but it came out all garbled or wouldnt read properly in premiere pro. So all footage captured i used the newly installed nvidia experience. I think it only recorded it at 60p though when everything was set at 144hz.

I will go over there and see if he'll let me swap parts. The local computer shop gave me another DP cable to try, but it didn't change anything. Not sure what brand it is though. I think theres a couple things going on between those voltage drops one one end and on the other end some form of scaling issue because watching the footage back on a lower resolution monitor makes some of the problems harder to see, which makes sense, but 1440p should give me a richer more detailed image not a overly sharpened, jagged image. Detailed, but smooth as butter.

What do you see that is wrong with that last overwatch picture?
I thought maybe roadhogs belly had bad low poly textures? Thinking back on that specific picture though blizzard aint that good with high detail, since they prefer those cartoon WoW type characters so every PC can run it. So maybe his belly was suppose to look like that.

All the text to in motion is somewhat jagged around the edges, looks worse in motion.

My 1350 lasted 7 years, just replaced them for $35 a piece.
Very high chance within the next week, i will purchase the one you guys showed me. Even if it doesnt fix the issue i like the idea of clean waves going into my PSU. Does it generally help with coil whine in anyway because mine has been pretty angry lately?

I've had issues like this when overclocking too much so I was thinking it was power or GPU related, but you already replaced your GPUs twice and your PSU once so I guess we can rule that out. I think the UPS option is your best bet to try now. You can run those RAM tests for free in the meantime. If you don't want to fork over $200 for the UPS that you know will isolate the problem, if you need a UPS for something else around the house anyway you could try a cheaper one from microcenter for $30-50 before pulling the trigger on the more expensive one.

I would also try running an OS from a thumb drive just to rule out the SSD (although as others have mentioned, it's probably not the SSD). I would just throw linux mint or something on it, load up a compatible game from your steam library, and see if the issue repeats. This way you rule out any windows software or driver issues and the SSD in one go.
Good mention on running the OS from the thumb drive, thats one i haven't tried yet. My window to replace the SSD has expired with Micro Center atleast so i just left it alone, but i havent been able to rule that out entirely yet.

On the Ram side i did run Mem test a few times always netting 0 errors at the end, so i dont think its the ram, but just so i can say i replaced everything i might go nab 32 gb of corsair veangence insteal and sell the gskill.

Lastly, the UPS sounds like a great idea and after i've done all the troubleshooting i will buy one within the next week or so for sure. I like the idea of clean waves coming into my PSU.

Let me know what you think about the new footage and BIOS stuff, if you've got time.

What do you think of those GPUZ graphs? Are those little white line drops in the 12v PCIE normal? I'm not entirely sure how to process that.

Good mention on running the OS from the thumb drive, thats one i haven't tried yet. My window to replace the SSD has expired with Micro Center atleast so i just left it alone, but i havent been able to rule that out entirely yet.

On the Ram side i did run Mem test a few times always netting 0 errors at the end, so i dont think its the ram, but just so i can say i replaced everything i might go nab 32 gb of corsair veangence insteal and sell the gskill.

Lastly, the UPS sounds like a great idea and after i've done all the troubleshooting i will buy one within the next week or so for sure. I like the idea of clean waves coming into my PSU.

Let me know what you think about the new footage and BIOS stuff, if you've got time.

What do you think of those GPUZ graphs? Are those little white line drops in the 12v PCIE normal? I'm not entirely sure how to process that.
Borrow you friend's RAM for a couple of hours and see if it makes a difference. If your Gskill is in fact bad, you shouldn't sell it until you get an RMA.

Borrow you friend's RAM for a couple of hours and see if it makes a difference. If your Gskill is in fact bad, you shouldn't sell it until you get an RMA.
Thanks chameleoneel! Ofcourse i'd never sell ram that is potentially bad (only after RMA). The ram is only 16 gb two 8 gb sticks btw do you think going for 32 would make any difference in gaming? If i do go down that road? I read that past 16 doesn't net much and the speed of the ram means more.

I will try and convince him to let me try. Lets call him a civilian so he might be freaked out if i pull his computer apart, but i'll give it a shot. If not i'm sure we can find a good link online and return to a reseller if it doesn't work.

Lastly are there any more pictures that would help everyone? Do you want to see how i have Nvidia Control Panel set up? (did try stock settings also which didn't change anything though).

Its hilarious right now i'm talking to Asus tech support and they are trying to tell me that the rocket laucher smoke artifacting on my PC doom eternal clip was programed that way for the game........ had to go on youtube and find evidence.
PC Ultra at 2:03:37 is how a rocket laucher shot should look like in Doom Eternal.

Thanks chameleoneel! Ofcourse i'd never sell ram that is potentially bad (only after RMA). The ram is only 16 gb two 8 gb sticks btw do you think going for 32 would make any difference in gaming? If i do go down that road? I read that past 16 doesn't net much and the speed of the ram means more.

I will try and convince him to let me try. Lets call him a civilian so he might be freaked out if i pull his computer apart, but i'll give it a shot. If not i'm sure we can find a good link online and return to a reseller if it doesn't work.

Lastly are there any more pictures that would help everyone? Do you want to see how i have Nvidia Control Panel set up? (did try stock settings also which didn't change anything though).

Its hilarious right now i'm talking to Asus tech support and they are trying to tell me that the rocket laucher smoke artifacting on my PC doom eternal clip was programed that way for the game........ had to go on youtube and find evidence.
PC Ultra at 2:03:37 is how a rocket laucher shot should look like in Doom Eternal.

Asus tech probably thinks your totally crazy for calling them anyway.....I think a few different things are going on here and some of the issues have nothing to do with each other. AMD and Nvidia are not perfect with their drivers or hardware to begin with. I think some of your issues would disappear by switching to new module AMD card. But then we would would be hearing about a hole different list and thats just the way it is. Swapping anything but the video card is waste of time at this point and even then i likely swap to AMD side because i think you super sensitive to game/driver issues that some might not even notice. Put your effort into getting a msrp priced 6800 series card. Some games just look a certain way on nvidia or amd do to how the drivers work.

Asus tech probably thinks your totally crazy for calling them anyway.....I think a few different things are going on here and some of the issues have nothing to do with each other. AMD and Nvidia are not perfect with their drivers or hardware to begin with. I think some of your issues would disappear by switching to new module AMD card. But then we would would be hearing about a hole different list and thats just the way it is. Swapping anything but the video card is waste of time at this point and even then i likely swap to AMD side because i think you super sensitive to game/driver issues that some might not even notice. Put your effort into getting a msrp priced 6800 series card. Some games just look a certain way on nvidia or amd do to how the drivers work.
Ya i can hear you there. Although remember what i see on the 27 inch monitor looks bad enough to go through all the trouble of multiple builds and posting on a forum for the first time in my life ha.

Something I'm not sure i mentioned earlier that has sort of scarred me through this process is the first PC build after a month of play totally died. Turned it off one night, tried to turn it on the next day and it wouldnt boot. Brought it back to Micro Center and they replaced everything and told me both the PSU and the MOBO had both fried and nothing had been built wrong or anything like that. So i get a little jumpy when i see similar stuff going on with a 2 thousand dollar computer.

The computer is mostly for work, as i work as and editor and colorist and have been on Mac for years which has been nothing but a joy in terms of how things should look they look (and i know PCs can do the same im just not smart enough to figure out how to get it there). I built it with VR and horsepower in mind as things advance with unreal and stuff like that, as it creeps into the film space. Macs generally run on AMD cards lately i think, and currently im able to play all the same games on my Macbook pro 16 inch in bootcamp Windows 10 without any of these visual oddities.

So drivers it could be but stuff runs without visual hiccups there. Also I dont see much onlline of people with these issues on streaming or anything, but hey, idk, came back to the PC space after leaving a decade ago. Still had a blast building the thing, just want it to last a good 5 6 years and give me basic visual performance (screen tearing, banding, pixelization so i dont think my footage is corrupted or something).

I do agree though i do read horror stories on the Nvidia forums about visual oddities and both my 1070 and 3070 show the same stuff. Just remember the videos i just posted look leagues better than what im seeing on screen, maybe i should do a side by side recording of the monitor and screen capture itself? And i'll post my Nvidia Control Panel settings?

Something I'm not sure i mentioned earlier that has sort of scarred me through this process is the first PC build after a month of play totally died. Turned it off one night, tried to turn it on the next day and it wouldnt boot. Brought it back to Micro Center and they replaced everything and told me both the PSU and the MOBO had both fried and nothing had been built wrong or anything like that. So i get a little jumpy when i see similar stuff going on with a 2 thousand dollar computer.

Heres the thing if you see artifacts in your recorded video then it has to be the video card or the video cards driver or just a game bug that nothing can be done about. Power supplies, especially the cheap ones go bad and burn up the stuff their connected to all the time. I have had one very high end one go up in smoke as well but didnt damage anything. Because of this i never even consider going cheap on supplys, even if its a name brand one. My money if one the graphics card and driver.....all the other ideas of motherboard, cpu, ram, ssd, hard drive make zero sense to me. You keep complaining about coil whine coming from your graphics card and the only thing that can help that is a different card and or in limited cases a different better power supply. If you putting this together for work id be using all high end parts anyway

Last edited:
The rocketlauncher smoke looks like a LOD (level of detail) or other filtering issue. Could you try restore default settings in the nvidia control panel and then to set negative LOD bias to clamp and texture filtering to high quality in the nvidia control panel?
1617545400159.png

Image below shows the output settings. RBG would be 4:4:4 and 8bpc would be HDR off. Try with G-SYNC off at the monitor level and in drivers and with v-sync on along with refresh rate at 60hz, color bit depth 32, output color depth 8bpc, format RBG and output dynamic range full.
1617546072859.png

Are your games on a fresh config or downloaded from cloud? If the latter, try reverting graphics settings to default and see if there is still an issue (possibly going as far as deleting the graphics config for the game before launching).

Heres the thing if you see artifacts in your recorded video then it has to be the video card or the video cards driver or just a game bug that nothing can be done about. Power supplies, especially the cheap ones go bad and burn up the stuff their connected to all the time. I have had one very high end one go up in smoke as well but didnt damage anything. Because of this i never even consider going cheap on supplys, even if its a name brand one. My money if one the graphics card and driver.....all the other ideas of motherboard, cpu, ram, ssd, hard drive make zero sense to me. You keep complaining about coil whine coming from your graphics card and the only thing that can help that is a different card and or in limited cases a different better power supply. If you putting this together for work id be using all high end parts anyway
Totally agree. I tried to do my due diligence and the first PSU i landed on which was the RM750 Corsair, the very week i built the machine i brought it to the local professionals who said they thought the PSU was ok. The following week it passed away haha. RIP.

I replaced it with another 80 gold, and then the following two 80 golds after, doing as much PC building research as i could on the highest rated PSU units (in the price bracket). It seemed it always came down to Corsair Rm850x, EVGA 850 G3 (but people complain about the noise) and Seasonic PSUs. Now these dont go up to 1000w or run higher cert ratings, but just makes me feel at this point that something outside of power supplies is effecting them. Leading my mind to Motherboard as it controls everything? With my basic knowledge.

My goal was to stay in the 2000ish budget bracket as i sold my 5k IMAC for work. This computer has surpassed what that computer costed in pure diagnostic fees and time. Now this is my fault of course not being entrenched in PC building for a long while.

*Would buying a UPS if there's dirty power going on in my area clear out the coil whine and keep the PSU happy (if it was power noise)?
*Thinking about buying the full 3d mark suite? Would the shader tests help us with testing artifacting at all unlike the base free test?

I can live with the Coil Whine, its just all the cards had the loud squealing and it makes me nervous, thinking something is amiss voltage wise. Been talking to EVGA as this forum goes along also and they said they havent had to many reports so far from the 3000 series of coil whine so they are working with me. Right now they have had me download Precision X 1 and want me to update the VBIOS, and my motherboard doesn't support it for some reason so gonna see if that helps at all once i figure it out.

Still curious what those GPU Z voltage drops are as that could answer alot if they mean anything or if thats just how it should look.

I agree with you though I've replaced almost everything in the PC, i doubt replacing the RAM will fix it, and since i went to my friends house and experienced identical performance, i doubt UPS in the end will help, but being out of options i get the feeling i should atleast try them all out, while keeping in mind this is most likely a mixture of driver, software, Mobo Voltage setup, parts not commincating properly with one another. I don't think the graphics card itself is damaged or faulty, its how things are being scaled or interpolated, that is the issue i need to figure out.

Thanks for all your input, you guys alone have given me wayyyyy more input and ideas than all of the manufactures boiler plate emails.

The rocketlauncher smoke looks like a LOD (level of detail) or other filtering issue. Could you try restore default settings in the nvidia control panel and then to set negative LOD bias to clamp and texture filtering to high quality in the nvidia control panel?
View attachment 345052
Image below shows the output settings. RBG would be 4:4:4 and 8bpc would be HDR off. Try with G-SYNC off at the monitor level and in drivers and with v-sync on along with refresh rate at 60hz, color bit depth 32, output color depth 8bpc, format RBG and output dynamic range full.
View attachment 345053

Are your games on a fresh config or downloaded from cloud? If the latter, try reverting graphics settings to default and see if there is still an issue (possibly going as far as deleting the graphics config for the game before launching).
Awesome, thanks! I will try this out tonight and get back with how it goes afterwards.

I will also show you how i had my contol panel setup as of late. Once again base config also showed same issues.

I will plug in all of these stats and drop the hz rate.

I agree to, looks like an LOD issue, on the 27 inch monitor its like watching fireworks go off and not in a good way haha.

My games were all installed from steam. I don't have a CD drive and dont have any games loaded onto usbs. If thats what you mean with fresh config and cloud. I will see if i can go into the files and get rid of the config file for all the steam games and see if that fixes anything!

Thanks so much for the help, getting so much more useful info from you guys over the official technicians through boiler plate emails. I will get back to you as soon as i test all of this!

View attachment 345052
View attachment 345053

Ok, after some work I have some interesting results after trying what you very well explained. I recorded footage of all of this also when it came to the LOD issue.

Heres what i tried during these tests:

If i change the HZ rate from anything besides 60hz the issue comes back. Basically if i strayed anywhere from base settings and what you exactly suggested it would show up again. I did get alot more frame stutters for some reason at 60hz and pixelization and the rest was still there, but the rocket launcher smoke was fixed in DOOM and Overwatch.

If i turned off Vsync no matter what, the issue would come back. Along with flickering in menus. (Isnt a 3070 capable of more than 60hz without Vsync? Also doom feels a bit less like playing a slushee with Gsync disabled. The trade off is all the frame drops its hiding show up.)

Coil Whine was especially annoying tonight and weirdly would become much much louder when Vsync was off and then when i'd enable Vsync it would get closer to silent. G sync was off too.

This might be placebo, but every-time i would weapon mod switch on the rocket launcher it would sort of bring the issue out if it was hiding a little bit.

So basically what was necessary was: High Quality, Clamp, 60hz, Vsync (Everything else at stock including things like max performance which is a shame). (Even if i changed monitor values in another panel it would come back EX. NO SCALING set to GPU instead of display.)

The Video Shows all of this way better, just keep in mind the recording is 60p so when i switch to 144hz , the monitor always look worse than the footage, but still you can see the changes. Also I threw in a coil whine Vsync test (louder in person than video) , Menu flickering without Vsync and running Prodeus at 1080p at very low settings that exhibited extreme screen tearing.

Thanks for your help. Seriously I appreciate it! This suggestion actually lead to some results.

Im going to attach my OLD Control Panel settings and GPUZ voltage graph (taken during the test).

Also for anyone out there, i have the GPUZ Sensor Log thats been recording since i built this PC let me know if posting that would be helpful!

Attachments

• Screenshot (58).png
    Screenshot (58).png
    196.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (59).png
    Screenshot (59).png
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (60).png
    Screenshot (60).png
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (61).png
    Screenshot (61).png
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (62).png
    Screenshot (62).png
  • Screenshot (63).png
    Screenshot (63).png
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (65).png
    Screenshot (65).png
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (66).png
    Screenshot (66).png
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (67).png
    Screenshot (67).png
    153 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (68).png
    Screenshot (68).png
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (69).png
    Screenshot (69).png
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (70).png
    Screenshot (70).png
  • Screenshot (71).png
    Screenshot (71).png
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (72).png
    Screenshot (72).png
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (73).png
    Screenshot (73).png
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (74).png
    Screenshot (74).png
  • Screenshot (75).png
    Screenshot (75).png
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (76).png
    Screenshot (76).png
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (77).png
    Screenshot (77).png
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (78).png
    Screenshot (78).png
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (79).png
    Screenshot (79).png
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (78).png
    Screenshot (78).png
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (77).png
    Screenshot (77).png
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (76).png
    Screenshot (76).png
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (74).png
    Screenshot (74).png
  • Screenshot (75).png
    Screenshot (75).png
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (73).png
    Screenshot (73).png
  • Screenshot (72).png
    Screenshot (72).png
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (71).png
    Screenshot (71).png
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (69).png
    Screenshot (69).png
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (70).png
    Screenshot (70).png
  • Screenshot (68).png
    Screenshot (68).png
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (67).png
    Screenshot (67).png
    153 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (66).png
    Screenshot (66).png
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (65).png
    Screenshot (65).png
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (63).png
    Screenshot (63).png
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (62).png
    Screenshot (62).png
  • Screenshot (61).png
    Screenshot (61).png
  • Screenshot (60).png
    Screenshot (60).png
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (59).png
    Screenshot (59).png
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (58).png
    Screenshot (58).png
    196.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Doom recording nothing then Prodeus and record.gif
    Doom recording nothing then Prodeus and record.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
The coil whine when disabling vsync is a common thing. Vsync basically throttles the card, so it acts as a power limiter.

Are you using any scaling, gaming, or HDR settings in windows? And I may have asked this, but GF Experience or third party apps like Afterburner or RGB stuff? And did you ever try things on a different monitor with different connection? Like DP instead of HDMI or visa versa? I am thinking you have a power issue for one thing, and a display handshake for another.

Last edited:
The coil whine when disabling vsync is a common thing. Vsync basically throttles the card, so it acts as a power limiter.

Are you using any scaling, gaming, or HDR settings in windows? And I may have asked this, but GF Experience or third party apps like Afterburner or RGB stuff? And did you ever try things on a different monitor with different connection? Like DP instead of HDMI or visa versa? I am thinking you have a power issue for one thing, and a display handshake for another.
I truly do think there is some scaling issue going on as certain assets in games appear low resolution while other appear nice and crisp. As far as scaling things in windows, i pretty much flushed it out in the beginning using settings i found online, but scaling is just at 100 percent i believe and at native resolution and frame rate. Past that i don't think i messed with too much. I did apply No scaling in the Nvidia Control panel though (have also tried with it set to default setting which didnt change anything though).

Are there any settings in windows that I should look out for that control scaling in a more fine tuned way?

I have bought and returned 4 monitors now and used the cables provided and my own third party DP and HDMI cables. IPS monitors unfortunately leave something to be desired as the blacks are so washed out on all of these the macro-blocking is real. Coming from Mac where blacks are nice and deep and the screen is 10 bit, might throw me off in some ways. I can tell you this watching recorded game play from the PC on the Mac-book Pro looks instantly better in many ways due just to black level and textures don't seem as rough. Although its 16 inch mb pro vs 27 inch IPS monitor which is much larger. All of the stuttering and visual stuff persists in recorded footage as seen in the videos though, so not saying the monitor is the issue.

If you have a DP cable you can recommend to try i will buy it and give it a shot (Vesa Certified that can rune 144hz 1440p 1ms)!

So I've reinstalled windows fresh many times and always try things out bare bones first. Meaning no MSI afterburner, no geforce experience or any 3rd party apps. After experiencing these issues after awhile though I installed them to record footage and watch frame times. Having the 3rd party apps on and off though maybe makes a 2 percent difference on my PC after watching things closely. I have tried many times just running everything stock just to be sure i wasn't running something or changed something that could cause all of this.

Back on the connection though i just recorded a new video more based on stuttering and frame drops. This video has all 3 in it from third party DP and HDMI cables to both the cables that came with the LG monitor. Videos a bit long and there's some just general gameplay in there where nothing bad is happening just so the viewer can get a vibe of what its like. You can see though with MSI open how bad my frame rates are and frame times (same result with MSI and geforce off too).

On a side note my bench mark scores in 3dmark timespy, firestrike, geekbench, cinebench, cpu z, userbench all seem to be on the very low end of the 3070s capablities and the scores have gone down since i purchased it which worries me a bit.

Let me know if there's anything you want me to take a look at! Thanks for the help!

Make sure to watch at 1440p 60p full screen to see stuttering and visual things closest to as i see them (Geforce records at 60 and i play at 144hz and in my opinion 60p looks less stuttery than my 144hz, but problems are still recognizable):

Not sure what you are experiencing. Besides a few drop outs in Halo and one other game, I am not seeing much wrong there. Frame drops are not unusual to online games or poorly optimised games that stream off your drive with complex AI and such. If there is blurring or smearing, artifacting or pixelation, (besides the stuff at the end) it's not coming across in the video, and it's hard to see stuff like that with Youtube's compression and filtering algos. Now those long pauses around the 16min mark are not normal at all, and seems like a serious issue. I just tested the screen flicker on the system info window, and mine does the same thing, if you find another window it does it on, I'll test that too. The video drop out seems like networking, which could also cause that in online games. The screen tearing can just be a game not using nvidia's settings if you are not forcing vsync, unless the tearing is in the capture, which would be wierd as hell.

I would be curiuos to see what your CPU si doing during all of this. Is Windows "game mode" disabled, and all the Xbox Live BS and services disabled? It's hard for me to compare sice I strippe down Windows so much.

Also, did you ever get that UPS? Since you use it for work, it's a good investment, especially with the death of the previous rig. And about the scaling thing, if you r.click on an executable or shortcut to one, click properties then compatibility tab, there is a change high DPI settings button. There are some overides in there and stuff, I have to use them on some games to prevent them from sending HDR to my TV (f'ing hate HDR in windows and this Sony X800H). You will also see a little link there for advances scaling options, where you can make sure to turn off windows "auto scaling".

Last edited:
A few thoughts.
1) Bad CPU RAM will almost always end with BSODs. The PC will eventually get bad data back from the memory and it will crash the PC. This is done by design of the x86 system.
2) Bad GPU RAM will not always crash the computer. The memory is primary used for output to a screen, and sometimes you will only see the artifacts on the screen with bad GPU memory.

Have you tried underclocking the memory on the GPU? If the memory is underclocked and you stop seeing these artifacts it would prove that the memory is faulty.

I truly do think there is some scaling issue going on as certain assets in games appear low resolution while other appear nice and crisp. As far as scaling things in windows, i pretty much flushed it out in the beginning using settings i found online, but scaling is just at 100 percent i believe and at native resolution and frame rate. Past that i don't think i messed with too much. I did apply No scaling in the Nvidia Control panel though (have also tried with it set to default setting which didnt change anything though).

Are there any settings in windows that I should look out for that control scaling in a more fine tuned way?

I have bought and returned 4 monitors now and used the cables provided and my own third party DP and HDMI cables. IPS monitors unfortunately leave something to be desired as the blacks are so washed out on all of these the macro-blocking is real. Coming from Mac where blacks are nice and deep and the screen is 10 bit, might throw me off in some ways. I can tell you this watching recorded game play from the PC on the Mac-book Pro looks instantly better in many ways due just to black level and textures don't seem as rough. Although its 16 inch mb pro vs 27 inch IPS monitor which is much larger. All of the stuttering and visual stuff persists in recorded footage as seen in the videos though, so not saying the monitor is the issue.

If you have a DP cable you can recommend to try i will buy it and give it a shot (Vesa Certified that can rune 144hz 1440p 1ms)!

So I've reinstalled windows fresh many times and always try things out bare bones first. Meaning no MSI afterburner, no geforce experience or any 3rd party apps. After experiencing these issues after awhile though I installed them to record footage and watch frame times. Having the 3rd party apps on and off though maybe makes a 2 percent difference on my PC after watching things closely. I have tried many times just running everything stock just to be sure i wasn't running something or changed something that could cause all of this.

Back on the connection though i just recorded a new video more based on stuttering and frame drops. This video has all 3 in it from third party DP and HDMI cables to both the cables that came with the LG monitor. Videos a bit long and there's some just general gameplay in there where nothing bad is happening just so the viewer can get a vibe of what its like. You can see though with MSI open how bad my frame rates are and frame times (same result with MSI and geforce off too).

On a side note my bench mark scores in 3dmark timespy, firestrike, geekbench, cinebench, cpu z, userbench all seem to be on the very low end of the 3070s capablities and the scores have gone down since i purchased it which worries me a bit.

Let me know if there's anything you want me to take a look at! Thanks for the help!

Make sure to watch at 1440p 60p full screen to see stuttering and visual things closest to as i see them (Geforce records at 60 and i play at 144hz and in my opinion 60p looks less stuttery than my 144hz, but problems are still recognizable):

Do you have a second monitor? I had that issue with halo - shutting down the second monitor fixed it.

Not sure what you are experiencing. Besides a few drop outs in Halo and one other game, I am not seeing much wrong there. Frame drops are not unusual to online games or poorly optimised games that stream off your drive with complex AI and such. If there is blurring or smearing, artifacting or pixelation, (besides the stuff at the end) it's not coming across in the video, and it's hard to see stuff like that with Youtube's compression and filtering algos. Now those long pauses around the 16min mark are not normal at all, and seems like a serious issue. I just tested the screen flicker on the system info window, and mine does the same thing, if you find another window it does it on, I'll test that too. The video drop out seems like networking, which could also cause that in online games. The screen tearing can just be a game not using nvidia's settings if you are not forcing vsync, unless the tearing is in the capture, which would be wierd as hell.

I would be curiuos to see what your CPU si doing during all of this. Is Windows "game mode" disabled, and all the Xbox Live BS and services disabled? It's hard for me to compare sice I strippe down Windows so much.

Also, did you ever get that UPS? Since you use it for work, it's a good investment, especially with the death of the previous rig. And about the scaling thing, if you r.click on an executable or shortcut to one, click properties then compatibility tab, there is a change high DPI settings button. There are some overides in there and stuff, I have to use them on some games to prevent them from sending HDR to my TV (f'ing hate HDR in windows and this Sony X800H). You will also see a little link there for advances scaling options, where you can make sure to turn off windows "auto scaling".
Been awhile! Thanks for the help again. I got a bit fed up with the PC and ended up just collecting dust in the corner of my room for the past few months so I could attend to other things. Now im back and continuing the testing.

So to answer your last question. I looked into the UPS link provided, but amazing doesnt have a return policy for it. Can you provide a good UPS Sine wave cleaner that i can return if it doesnt end up fixing the issues? The one linked looked amazing and i tried looking on all other websites, but amazon was the only place with them in stock and no return policy.

Now onto what I've done upon returning testing wise. I've gone out and bought some Gskill Trident Z neo 3600mhz CL16 32gb ram to replace the Ripjaws V 16 gb i had in hopes that it might be faulty ram. I Spent the last two days installing the new ram sticks and then also at the same time removing the MOBO and PC from the case so i could Bench Test the whole PC to rule out the case as was previously stated.

The results of all of this? Well ram replacement didnt fix the issue and neither did bench testing the pc outside of the case. This leaves me with only one part left in the pc from the original build which is the m.2 SSD. I will send this back to samsung and get an instant replacement although i highly doubt its the issue. I did notice the Gpu near the center had pretty loud buzzing outside of the case. I also feel like i smelled a slight melting plastic smell upon turning it off although it wasnt too strong and you woudnt smell it unless you got your nose close to the GPU.

I then also tried the second PCIE slot with the 3070 to see if that fixed the mushy image or frame hangs (that appear way to often) and i think there were faster load times and maybe less pop in but the image itself wasnt fixed. Remember that on my monitor the image looks about 10 times as bad as the internally recorded footage (nvidia only records up to 60p also). When i review the footage on a 10 bit Macbook screen it looks just as it should minus the pixelization and smearing and frame hangs that remain, but the detail isnt mushy as you can see in the vides.

Now the last update is over the past couple weeks i also recorded 2 new videos that are shorter with new footage and new games to further show the choppy gameplay and smearing in a much easeier to see video. The problem is youtube really compresses the video and helps the image alot in the end so just take my word on a 27 inch it looks god awful and is basically unplayable and definetly unusable for professional work. Its got to be something between BIOS and the GPU just pushing it way to hard and choking it somehow as none of the parts are faulty as theyve all been replaced unless the PC has damaged the second 3070 over time. Let me know which UPS to buy and try and if you have any further ideas. Anways heres the videos (frametimes dont look too clean either):

Smearing/Pixelization/Muddy Imagery/Banding/Stuttering:​

Warzone Frame Drops/Freezes/Micro Stuttering/Pop In/Muddy Image​

A few thoughts.
1) Bad CPU RAM will almost always end with BSODs. The PC will eventually get bad data back from the memory and it will crash the PC. This is done by design of the x86 system.
2) Bad GPU RAM will not always crash the computer. The memory is primary used for output to a screen, and sometimes you will only see the artifacts on the screen with bad GPU memory.

Have you tried underclocking the memory on the GPU? If the memory is underclocked and you stop seeing these artifacts it would prove that the memory is faulty.
I havent tried underclocking the GPU or tried overclocking due to my fear of breaking something. If you have a good guide or something i can follow to give it a try i will do it and report back the findings. Also check out these new videos and let me know if that points towards something! In the above post I added the newest updates on what i've tried and videos. Thanks a bunch for the input and help.

Do you have a second monitor? I had that issue with halo - shutting down the second monitor fixed it.
I don't have a second monitor, but i've bought and tried 5 now 1440p 144fps monitors. All of which look like complete garbage with my pc. You think going up to 4k 10 bit Dell Ultrasharp or something even with the lower refresh rate would possibly create a less completely gross mushy image. Obviously this wouldn't fix screen tearing, smearing, pixelization, but maybe 10 bit with higher pixel density might make the image better? I still feel 1440p should have been enough though (although i came from a 5k Imac which was leagues ahead in visual acuity compared to any of these 1440 monitors). Check out the new videos i just posted above as they have a bit more specific examples and might lead to a diagnosis? Thanks a bunch for the input!

I don't see a damn thing wrong with any of these screenshots. Everything taken that close to the screen looks strange. *shrugs*
Ya the screenshots weren't the best examples compared to the footage. Should have posted something better. I made a couple new videos over the past few weeks as i got back to trying to fix this pc. Remember also the image looks about 10 times worse on the monitor vs the internally recorded footage, but even then the freezes, smearing, pixelization, muddy imagery and the rest can be seen in the internal footage also, in my opinion (make sure to set it to 1440p and full screen for youtube to somewhat represent the original footage haha).

Smearing/Pixelization/Muddy Imagery/Banding/Stuttering:​

Warzone Frame Drops/Freezes/Micro Stuttering/Pop In/Muddy Image:​

Screen Tearing.Freezes.Teleporting Ect.

Last edited:
Just search your available stores for Simulated Sine Wave UPS. That particular model has been replaced with a newer one, I don't know how well the new one performs or how reliable it is. But as I said before, even if it doesn't solve your problem, it's a good idea to use one.

Just search your available stores for Simulated Sine Wave UPS. That particular model has been replaced with a newer one, I don't know how well the new one performs or how reliable it is. But as I said before, even if it doesn't solve your problem, it's a good idea to use one.
Thanks Vick,
Will look into it some more. I was looking into best buy as they are the only ones i could find quickly that have a good return policy on batteries. Also I've never had a UPS before do they all clean the sine waves or do i need the similar to the specific one you showed me before?

Let me know if you think of anything else i can try.

Thanks Vick,
Will look into it some more. I was looking into best buy as they are the only ones i could find quickly that have a good return policy on batteries. Also I've never had a UPS before do they all clean the sine waves or do i need the similar to the specific one you showed me before?

Let me know if you think of anything else i can try.
No they don't all have simulated sine wave functionality. It should be in the specs and marketing of the model you purchase. Standard UPCs have a square wave output when under battery load, and can damage PFC capable PSUs.
Again, why do you need to return it, it's a good idea to use one, especially if it's for a productivity machine.

No they don't all have simulated sine wave functionality. It should be in the specs and marketing of the model you purchase. Standard UPCs have a square wave output when under battery load, and can damage PFC capable PSUs.
Again, why do you need to return it, it's a good idea to use one, especially if it's for a productivity machine.
Totally 100% agree, more just a monetary issue at this point since the original pc was 2k and its upwards of 4 at this point with new parts and technician fees. So trying to weed things out and do my best to stop bleeding haha. For safety its a really good idea though. After trying a few more things (including UPS) i'm going to sell off all the parts that are good and go buy a laptop or iMac again as its been such a mess and time pit and i've given the pc every possible chance to work and nothing got it up and running.

Back