ViewSonic XG321UG 32" Issues

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
I've really liked the monitor but this week it started to go to a black screen randomly and and back. Most always just for a second but some times for longer and once it got stuck and I had to power it off. I thought it was just the game at the time I had just started Death Stranding. It was only happening in the menus. Today I started "A Plague Tale: Requiem" and it just did it. :(

I just got the 4090 a few mouths ago and there was a new firmware for having black screens but maybe it was not 100% fixed by the fix? But the second display never goes black. ??? :(

Another thing I don't like it the power LED indication. If the monitor is not on before the PC the display will not work until in Windows and sometimes not even then. The older Dell display is always ok. But there is no LED color when the monitor is on. If you turn on the PC the LED goes blue if the monitor is on or off or something like that. there is also an amber color.

Switch the cable between the two monitors and check if the issue is appearing on your secondary monitor.

I will try that but its a pain as I've run the cables on the arm and zip tied them.
I've underclocked the RTX4090 to limit fan noise but I never saw this issue until Death Stranding. In "A Plague Tale: Requiem" I see the the frame rate in the menus drops to 30fps, wondering if the card is not dealing with the low power mode or something when you go in and out of game menus.

It can be a Power Supply Printed Circuit Board can be weak. It could take weeks until it finally goes BLACK and never comes on again. A replacement of the Power Supply Board does the trick. Swelled capacitors to a FET transistor that finally goes bad and a cold dead monitor.
Crack it open by wrestling with it, lifting the frame on top front middle and prying it open when it splits like a clam shell.
Get the numbers off of the Power Supply and google search it, to see if anyone has it on ebay or otherwise. A complete new one from a parts picker or someone repairing them, is not too expensive as a new monitor would be.

THEN quality of text and contrast comes back as if it was new. No adjustments needed when you just turn it on and it is just fine as if it was new.

I have had this monitor since 3/2022 and love it. I have had the issue where the monitor will go blank and I had to unplug power source and restart, but this happens very rarely (maybe twice since I bought it - and I use it every day as my main monitor). I cannot recall why it happened.

As far as the power LED indicator, you can toggle it on or off in the UI. If on, it will turn blue when it is receiving a signal and amber when in low power state. If you turn the monitor off using the little switch underneath, you do have to power it on before it will activate. Also if you have the auto-switch feature off you have to manually switch between inputs so make sure you have it on if you don't like to do that. Since I have a Amazon Fire connected to the HDMI, I leave it off b/c the Fire TV likes to divert the input constantly. Overall, it's an amazing monitor IMO but it has some annoying design decisions I agree. But the overall raw picture quality is second-to-none.

I have had this monitor since 3/2022 and love it. I have had the issue where the monitor will go blank and I had to unplug power source and restart, but this happens very rarely (maybe twice since I bought it - and I use it every day as my main monitor). I cannot recall why it happened.

As far as the power LED indicator, you can toggle it on or off in the UI. If on, it will turn blue when it is receiving a signal and amber when in low power state. If you turn the monitor off using the little switch underneath, you do have to power it on before it will activate. Also if you have the auto-switch feature off you have to manually switch between inputs so make sure you have it on if you don't like to do that. Since I have a Amazon Fire connected to the HDMI, I leave it off b/c the Fire TV likes to divert the input constantly. Overall, it's an amazing monitor IMO but it has some annoying design decisions I agree. But the overall raw picture quality is second-to-none.
For every monitor there is a CAPACITOR REPAIR KIT. Google seach and find your monitor and the 1000 microfarad 16 volt capacitors are in the kit. Also the 830 microfarad 25 volt capacitors. A switching power supply does not work well when the capacitors are leaking. 105 centigrade temperature is on them. That is about the temperature your forehead has when you have a fever. Not very hot. A high frequency & low impedance capacitor may be all that is the problem after its life of 5000 hours they vent.

sghill99

The capacitors may have discharged and as many as 4 or 5 can be found popped with the monitor still working with a few problems or all the way to a black screen and the power button not working.

Just get that kit and solder in the new capacitors and remove the discharged popped ones.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's new with a warranty, not sure why I'd be trying to replace capacitors and I don't think that is the issue.

I also like the quality of the display. It's the first time I could see the HDR doing something. Puts my LG 77 C9 to shame.

I hate the power LED setup. It turns blue when it gets a signal but it's not on. It's also blue when it is on so I always forget and end up turning it on and off a few times when booting up the PC.

As for the main blank screen issue. I'd not seen it until Death Stranding and it would have fits where it was do it a lot but only on the menus. No other game until that and now I've seen it on "A Plague Tale: Requiem" but this is also my work station and so far, it's neve done it while working 8+ hours most everyday.

I'm thinking it's the underclocking of the GPU and or the power and frame rate drop when in menus.

I may try and post in the GPU forum.

Last edited:
I've really liked the monitor but this week it started to go to a black screen randomly and and back. Most always just for a second but some times for longer and once it got stuck and I had to power it off. I thought it was just the game at the time I had just started Death Stranding. It was only happening in the menus. Today I started "A Plague Tale: Requiem" and it just did it. :(

I just got the 4090 a few mouths ago and there was a new firmware for having black screens but maybe it was not 100% fixed by the fix? But the second display never goes black. ??? :(

Another thing I don't like it the power LED indication. If the monitor is not on before the PC the display will not work until in Windows and sometimes not even then. The older Dell display is always ok. But there is no LED color when the monitor is on. If you turn on the PC the LED goes blue if the monitor is on or off or something like that. there is also an amber color.
mine XG321ug does the same with my 4090fe. it seems to stop when i turn of Display Stream compression on the monintor settings. but it limits the fps to 120hz instead of 144. have you figured out anything since January?

mine XG321ug does the same with my 4090fe. it seems to stop when i turn of Display Stream compression on the monintor settings. but it limits the fps to 120hz instead of 144. have you figured out anything since January?

Cable quality matters at 4K high refresh rate. The one in the box is usually not sufficient. If you have HDMI 2.1 available, get a good 8K rated cable and try that.

I'm not sure yet but my black screen issue seems to have been tied to a corruption issue with the MB or CPU. After getting a new AM5 MB and CPU I've not seen the issue. Again, with the needed bandwidth being the same at all times, I only saw a black screen in games and 99% of the time it was when going into menus. Maybe it was just a driver update or it will start doing it again at some point. ???

As far as the power LED indicator, you can toggle it on or off in the UI.
I want the power indicator I just don't think it should say the monitor is on (LED Blue) when it is not.

Also, a few times it's not come back from Windows power saver and I have to unplug the power to it, to get the desktop back.

Back