Videocardz: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 pictured? (now thats different)

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
This is an interesting design, still dual fan, but one fan is on the front side and one is on the backside. I think I would like it more if this is push-pull...
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pictured

untitled-2.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080.jpg

Also interesting is that it looks like the Fan blades are different twist on each side. Maybe that is a sign that it is a push-pull design.

With the older designs the air doesn't really circulate anywhere except though the heatsink fins on the top and bottom so the cooling may not be very good.

Interesting cooling solution. Time will tell if this is what we get in the final product. If it works well, why not? We shall see.

I would think I'd want the fans the other way with the "bottom" fan in the rear of the card and the "top" fan near the front. In smaller cases, the front fan can be tight to a power supply or something while the rear one is usually open. Also, the front "rear" fan would theoretically send heat behind the CPU closer to a rear exhaust rather than right into the air intake of a CPU air cooler.

I would think I'd want the fans the other way with the "bottom" fan in the rear of the card and the "top" fan near the front. In smaller cases, the front fan can be tight to a power supply or something while the rear one is usually open. Also, the front "rear" fan would theoretically send heat behind the CPU closer to a rear exhaust rather than right into the air intake of a CPU air cooler.

It's likely a fail for a lot of small ITX cases that have some kind of solid backing near the back (PCB/backplate side) of the card, where they are assuming that is just solid, like it has always been. This will block that backplate side fan.

This really looks like it will work better in conventional tower cases. Assuming push-pull where once it's in a traditional case, it will pull air from below the card, near the bottom of the case (as normal), but then exhaust it up the case. It looks like it should do a better job of getting hot air away from the card. Though it does nothing for case cooling. It will be pushing that air toward the CPU.

Though it may not be push pull. It might be dual chamber cooling. With the fan nearest the connectors, working like a blower card and exhausting out the back of the cage, while the other fan pulls air through the second chamber and up...

My take is that this is probably real. Fakers usually don't have enough imagination to come up with something original.

Going to be an interesting PCB layout then, or you have a card with a significantly larger shroud.

Found an image of what some are assuming the air flow would be. Note in this image, the card is upside down from what it would be in a typical tower case. This kind of flow through seems like it would be fantastic for cooling:
174239vr70d9ct7c0rg69t5jqc.png

But looking at the fans in the actual pictures, the scooping of the blades suggest they are both intake fans.

Make these both intake fans, and I see no point at all for this design. You would be better off with a conventional design if the are both intakes.

Definitely an interesting design in need of more information.

So either Nvidia has gotten a LOT better at making smaller PCB's or they are just saying screw it?? I mean maybe there was a lot of junk space on older PCB's just to hold spacing and shrouds?

Also exactly how much heat is this recirculating back into the case anyway?

Looks real to me. Guess we're getting them a little sooner than expected! Wonder how long the card is.... I can only fit 11" :(.

Found an image of what some are assuming the air flow would be. Note in this image, the card is upside down from what it would be in a typical tower case. This kind of flow through seems like it would be fantastic for cooling:
View attachment 251182

But looking at the fans in the actual pictures, the scooping of the blades suggest they are both intake fans.

Make these both intake fans, and I see no point at all for this design. You would be better off with a conventional design if the are both intakes.

Definitely an interesting design in need of more information.

So fans on both side? Very interesting.

Dam that is ugly, who was on the test panel for design.

The fans defiantly look like dual intake, spread that heat all over the case instead of out the back.

Reactions: noko
like this
Every reference card has been 10.5" long for a good while now.
Yeah, the ones that haven't (GTX680 comes to mind - though that was really the first time Nvidia used a midrange chip as the flagship), have been smaller than 10.5".

So either Nvidia has gotten a LOT better at making smaller PCB's or they are just saying screw it?? I mean maybe there was a lot of junk space on older PCB's just to hold spacing and shrouds?

Also exactly how much heat is this recirculating back into the case anyway?
Nvidia PCBs, at least until ~Pascal or so, were rather cheap affairs; a serious effort in cost cutting. Since the FE lineup started, they are more of an exercise in excess, leaving the AIB vendors to cost cut.

With modern axial fan cards (basically everything not blower or water) all of the heat is recirculating back into the case, anyways. Often with half going into the side of the case, with the other half going right into the motherboard PCB (usually a M.2 card right below the GPU, nowadays).

I think blower is the way to go, mates!
Expel that hotness outside!

Depends if you care more about CPU or GPU cooling.

Pretty much ever test I have seen shows that open air coolers are better for GPU cooling.

If you have a small, poorly ventilated case, then Blower is better for CPU cooling.

If it is a push-pull design, then doesn't that mean the cooler is on backwards on the bottom card? You can't have a fan on the bottom side there, the PCB is in the way. Gonna say it's fake because of that goof.

(edit) Nm, I thought both cards were resting on the PCB, looks like I was wrong about the bottom card though; it's actually flipped and resting on its shroud.

Last edited:
If it is a push-pull design, then doesn't that mean the cooler is on backwards on the bottom card? You can't have a fan on the bottom side there, the PCB is in the way. Gonna say it's fake because of that goof.

The PCB is allegedly only half the length of the card.

whatever it is, its a dummy card. theres no fingers on the pcie tab.

Actually, just low quality photo. Zoomed in I can see the edges of fingers in places.

Look closer. The back side photo clearly shows that the PCB has a V-shaped notch.

Look closer. The back side photo clearly shows that the PCB has a V-shaped notch.

You misunderstand me. Look at the position of the X-ray view, then translate that to the position of the bottom card. The fans aren't even the same spot. In the X-ray view, the bottom fan (by the V-shape cut-out) is not in the same spot as the bottom card. If we're to assume the X-ray view represents the fan positions of the bottom card, then the "top" fan should actually be where the RTX 3080 badge is, and the bottom fan should be where the PCI-E power connectors are. It's backwards.

1591547058702.png

The top sample is in the correct orientation. The top fan should be closest to the IO plate, and the bottom fan would then clear the PCB. I think the V-shape cut-out you see is actually the shroud and not the PCB itself.

(edit) Nm, I thought both cards were resting on the PCB, looks like I was wrong about the bottom card though; it's actually flipped and resting on its shroud.

Last edited:
You misunderstand me. Look at the position of the X-ray view, then translate that to the position of the bottom card. The fans aren't even the same spot. In the X-ray view, the bottom fan (by the V-shape cut-out) is not in the same spot as the bottom card. If we're to assume the X-ray view represents the fan positions of the bottom card, then the "top" fan should actually be where the RTX 3080 badge is, and the bottom fan should be where the PCI-E power connectors are. It's backwards.

View attachment 251505

The X-Ray view is made by someone one the internet. It's not a reference diagram. The only reference is the photos themselves.

The X-Ray view is made by someone one the internet. It's not a reference diagram. The only reference is the photos themselves.

Fair enough, but one of the physical card samples here have its shroud on backwards, assuming they're the same shroud. Look at the position of the IO plate in relation to the fan. The top card has its fan next to the IO plate (like it does in the X-ray diagram), but the bottom card has its fan toward the PCI-E power connectors, like a traditional blower style cooler. If this is the same card with the same shroud, someone goofed on one of these.

1591547912879.png

Last edited:
Fair enough, but one of the physical card samples here have its shroud on backwards, assuming they're the same shroud. Look at the position of the IO plate in relation to the fan. The top card has its fan next to the IO plate (like it does in the X-ray diagram), but the bottom card has its fan toward the PCI-E power connectors, like a traditional blower style cooler. If this is the same card with the same shroud, someone goofed on one of these.

View attachment 251511

Nope if you rotate the bottom card to match the orientation of the IO plate it will end up just like the top card.

Rotate 180⁰ clockwise then flip over.

Nope if you rotate the bottom card to match the orientation of the IO plate it will end up just like the top card.

Rotate 180⁰ clockwise then flip over.

Ah, so what you're saying is the bottom card is resting on its shroud, but the top card is resting on its PCB? That would make sense actually. (y)

Ah, so what you're saying is the bottom card is resting on its shroud, but the top card is resting on its PCB? That would make sense actually. (y)

Yep, that's exactly what the pics show. You can tell from the orientation of the IO plate.

So you can zoom in a blur and deduce PCI fingers but couldn't do the same with the photo under discussion? ZOOM IN. You can see the fingers fading in and out on the poor quality image:

View attachment 251520
those are the "groves" the fingers are supposed to go in. the tab is one consistant color all the way across. combine that with the other irregularities, im saying fake.

Back