Videocardz: Intel teases Xe-HP graphics processor – ‘Father of All’ GPUs

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Intel is teasing the Xe-HP package with a massive heat spreader. Definitely multiple chips under there, probably including memory and multiple GPU chips/chiplets. Probably Pro only device with 4 digit pricing:

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-teases-xe-hp-graphics-processor-father-of-all-gpus
Intel Graphics tweeted a series of pictures with Jim Keller, Raja Koduri and a mysterious looking processor.

Intel Xe-HP
The tweet by Intel Graphics presenting Jim Keller (Intel’s senior VP in Technology, Systems Architecture and Client Group and general manager of Silicon Engineering Group) on one photo and Raja Koduri (senior video president, chief architect, general manager for Architecture, Graphics and Software at Intel) in another photo, has generated a lot of attention. The third photograph shows a mysterious looking processor, with a package size estimated at 3700 mm2. That’s a huge device more than likely featuring multi-chip design (chiplets).

INTEL-Big-GPU-Tease.jpg

Gosh that's a lot of pin pads.

By the looks of it, either two normal sized dies under there or 8 very small GPU dies. Since one of the photos comes by way of Jim Keller, we can assume it is more than one die since he specializes in interconnect design.
The packaging is pretty weird though, you dont normally have IHS on a GPU. Almost makes it seem like this is a very special purpose datacenter GPU not going into a standard PCI-E AIC form factor. Like it will be going on some sort of supercomputer daughterboards.

Chip like that is an MCM chip for sure, guarantees it’s going to be Datacenter part for now. That thing is probably an AI monster card to compete against the Huawei Atlas series cards and give an alternative to the Titans for anybody who doesn’t want to use a Huawei product.
I do look forward to when we can start seeing MCM chips for residential use but the software isn’t quite there yet probably not going to see it until PCIE 5 is more mainstream.

Gosh that's a lot of pin pads.

By the looks of it, either two normal sized dies under there or 8 very small GPU dies. Since one of the photos comes by way of Jim Keller, we can assume it is more than one die since he specializes in interconnect design.
The packaging is pretty weird though, you dont normally have IHS on a GPU. Almost makes it seem like this is a very special purpose datacenter GPU not going into a standard PCI-E AIC form factor. Like it will be going on some sort of supercomputer daughterboards.

Makes me think of the direction they took with the phi/larebee releases

I know it's not a retail product, but the LGA/socketed approach to graphics excites my watercooling fantasies. 12 combined power phases makes me wonder how thirsty the chip is. Hopefully Intel can get their software team fully on board. Without any of that "fine wine" bullshit.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

I love that guy, he's done all sorts of hilarious fake video card reviews. Two of my favorites were the Voodoo5 9000 and the Bitchin' Fast 3D 2000. I remember seeing that maximum PC article in the late 90s with the Bitchin' Fast 3D 2000, it was hilarious. Someone making a mock up card 20 years later was icing on the cake.

At first I thought the cards were done with video effects, but nope, he made real mock up cards. Of course they don't actually work, but it's the effort that counts.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back