VideoCardz: AMD to introduce Zen3 on October 8, Radeon RX 6000 series on October 28

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Yesterday, Frank Azor of AMD, tweeted there would be something today. That something was announcing the dates, for the announcements of Zen3 and RX 6000

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-to-introduce-zen3-on-october-8-radeon-rx-6000-series-on-october-28

AMD today announced it will host two separate events in October. The first event will cover Zen3 architecture and most likely Ryzen 4000 series processors codenamed Vermeer. This event is scheduled for October 8th. The name of the event is ‘Next Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors’.

On October 28th, AMD will showcase its Radeon RX 6000 graphics cards (the name has been confirmed in a tweet). These graphics cards are based on RDNA2 architecture. This event is called ‘Next Generation Radeon Graphics

Seems like they might want to "leak" a bit more info before the RTX 3000 launch if they want to scoop up some of those sales.

Yeah I can wait but October is a long time considering I am ready to get a 3090 like right now... hrrm...I must heed my own advice and wait however.

The bastards....
I need to have the money for my upgrade project spent by Nov 11, so if they don’t have a solid launch by then NVidia gets my money.

The only way I'm waiting is if I can't get a RTX 3000 card on launch. Which is...possible, considering the alleged supply issues.

Can't really loose sales if you dont have the product to sell. Lets be honest the launch for the 3080/3090 is going to be VERY VERY limited supply. If anything AMD has a chance to sell more GPU's since its on the TSMC node which has better yields.

The dates are probably set that far out because that's when they'll have product to launch - or closer to it, at least.

It would probably be worse if they did the full press thing right now, reviews came out and all that, and then you couldn't buy anything until November or whatever anyways.

The dates are probably set that far out because that's when they'll have product to launch - or closer to it, at least.

It would probably be worse if they did the full press thing right now, reviews came out and all that, and then you couldn't buy anything until November or whatever anyways.
Yeah paper launches are the worst.

November and December are the big sales months. Fans and some enthusiasts might want hardware on day one but big sales start during Cyber Week.

Also a lot of people skipped the 2000- and 5000-series altogether along with the current gen of Intel CPUs and Zen2 for all kinds of ecosystem reasons. Truth is that the current generation across the board is a half step in between more significant generational milestones.

Even if these cards were available today a bunch of people are going to wait for more opportunistic sales events in the near future or for the full spread of next-generation options to be available before going all-in on a new system built from the ground up. I don't expect to see that until next year, not for AMD, Nvidia, or any of their partners.

They probably want to reveal at the same time as the launch to make sure Nvidia doesn't have time to undercut them with a price drop.

November and December are the big sales months. Fans and some enthusiasts might want hardware on day one but big sales start during Cyber Week.

Also a lot of people skipped the 2000- and 5000-series altogether along with the current gen of Intel CPUs and Zen2 for all kinds of ecosystem reasons. Truth is that the current generation across the board is a half step in between more significant generational milestones.

Even if these cards were available today a bunch of people are going to wait for more opportunistic sales events in the near future or for the full spread of next-generation options to be available before going all-in on a new system built from the ground up. I don't expect to see that until next year, not for AMD, Nvidia, or any of their partners.
But consumer sales months, but unless they have solid availability shortly there after they are going to miss out on any year end purchasing from enterprise.

6+ Weeks After 3080 is at Newegg ? with Cyberpunk 2077 just a few weeks later? 5 week wait after 3090 is on sale?!

An announcement, of an announcement ?!

edit: You know what? this AMD announcement of an announcement might be a great thing,as many looking to save a few bucks will wait,making it easier to snag the card I want. :)

Gotta wonder who in China is actually going to work and make these graphic cards during this COV19 pandemic?

Reactions: File
like this
I think its mostly back up and running. Gamers Nexus did an expo of what asain tech companies are doing during covid, thought it was pretty interesting. Granted that was a few months ago.

I’m getting a RTX 3080 no matter what even if the AMD card is close. They still can’t compete with the reliable drivers. Also if you can get your hands on one at launch you could always sell it for a profit If you choose to go with AMD later.

I also don't trust AMD's drivers. Completely undermines their cards.

As a long time user of both cards... I really don't get this sentiment.
I have had zero issues with my 5700 XT... no crashes, no drops in games, no odd FPS drops. Now I know there was a couple drivers there where some people where reporting black screens and crashes. Which isn't good of course.... but it got sorted pretty quick. And sure if it effects you that is annoying. However lets all stop pretending Nvidia is bullet proof. Their drivers are no better.... in fact between the two I will take AMD any day.

I think the last AMD driver redesign rubbed a few people the wrong way and there constant gripping has swung a disproportionate amount of opinion among NON AMD owners. Most AMD users I know are in general happy with AMDs drivers.

For every game someone can point to and say look took AMD 2 months to fix that one... we can do the same with NV. Just 5 days ago NV released a hot fix which fixed crashes in Marvel Avengers... and dropped FPS in Call of duty. They still have multiple current issues with RDR 2 that include blank screens and desktop crashes. Studdering over 60fps in WOW, black strips on screen in forza. Yet no one is saying NV drivers are garbage.

IMO both have mulitple issues at all times that may or may not effect you. All that matters is are they fixing them in a timely manner. IMO AMD and NV have been dead even there for a few years. AMD just caused themselves a few more issues the last couple years with radeon software redesigns. Having said that... this might not be a popular view, but Radeon software has grown on me. I find myself liking it much more since I upgraded this machine from a 570 to the 5700 XT I find myself popping it up a lot more to adjust settings for Radeon Chill and image sharpening ect.

As a long time user of both cards... I really don't get this sentiment.
I have had zero issues with my 5700 XT... no crashes, no drops in games, no odd FPS drops. Now I know there was a couple drivers there where some people where reporting black screens and crashes. Which isn't good of course.... but it got sorted pretty quick. And sure if it effects you that is annoying. However lets all stop pretending Nvidia is bullet proof. Their drivers are no better.... in fact between the two I will take AMD any day.

I think the last AMD driver redesign rubbed a few people the wrong way and there constant gripping has swung a disproportionate amount of opinion among NON AMD owners. Most AMD users I know are in general happy with AMDs drivers.

For every game someone can point to and say look took AMD 2 months to fix that one... we can do the same with NV. Just 5 days ago NV released a hot fix which fixed crashes in Marvel Avengers... and dropped FPS in Call of duty. They still have multiple current issues with RDR 2 that include blank screens and desktop crashes. Studdering over 60fps in WOW, black strips on screen in forza. Yet no one is saying NV drivers are garbage.

IMO both have mulitple issues at all times that may or may not effect you. All that matters is are they fixing them in a timely manner. IMO AMD and NV have been dead even there for a few years. AMD just caused themselves a few more issues the last couple years with radeon software redesigns. Having said that... this might not be a popular view, but Radeon software has grown on me. I find myself liking it much more since I upgraded this machine from a 570 to the 5700 XT I find myself popping it up a lot more to adjust settings for Radeon Chill and image sharpening ect.

The issue is that Nvidia is the defacto "norm" when it comes to drivers.

I design and sell "whitebox" PCs. If we sell something with an Nvidia card, and that card has issues: its a faulty card, Nvidia is the standard, if their card has problems, then that's just unavoidable, these things happen from time to time: we replace the card, test, and the customer understands "this was a single faulty card"

If we sell something with an AMD card, and that card has issues, its because we chose the "alternative brand", and could have chosen the more "normal" brand, but we chose the "cheap" option and we made that decision explicitly, as Nvidia is the standard, anything else is a deliberate deviation from the standard. The customer sees "We tried to save money using the cheap card and it backfired"

This is why nobody gets fired for choosing Nvidia.

I design and sell "whitebox" PCs. If we sell something with an Nvidia card, and that card has issues: its a faulty card, Nvidia is the standard, if their card has problems, then that's just unavoidable, these things happen from time to time: we replace the card, test, and the customer understands "this was a single faulty card"

If we sell something with an AMD card, and that card has issues, its because we chose the "alternative brand", and could have chosen the more "normal" brand, but we chose the "cheap" option and we made that decision explicitly, as Nvidia is the standard, anything else is a deliberate deviation from the standard. The customer sees "We tried to save money using the cheap card and it backfired"

I can understand that point of view. Its just disappointing to see it so widely held in a forum like [H]. Where I have to believe after years of gaming everyone of us has experienced a NV driver issue... and or a AMD one depending which cards we have been loyal to. I get only a handful of us really go back and forth. But I really have had more driver issues with NV the last few years. I know that is a product of game choices... and I guess my mix of played games might be odd. Still I guess that is why warehouse deals on NV cards can sometimes be good scores lol... they get returned for driver issues just as often I would assume. But folks at the store are more likely to just return them then actually ask the customer if they installed the latest drivers. ;)

Gotta wonder who in China is actually going to work and make these graphic cards during this COV19 pandemic?

Its already back to normal in China. Doubt AMD will see any supply constraints. Nvidia may see some due to Samsung yield.

Agreed.

Sad part is, if you talk about your own poor experiences with AMD, you will get someone writing a novel about how they never had a problem and youre holding it wrong..

Luckily we have choices.

Nah, that does not happen, typically, but Nvidia users tend to think that the drivers are of the immaculate conception. :D The real issue tends to be when an AMD thread is started, ever single person that has ever had an issue with an AMD card comes out of the woodwork to complain, regardless what the thread is really all about. :)

I also don't trust AMD's drivers. Completely undermines their cards.

And I have yet to have issues with the AMD drivers, in the 14 years I have been using their cards from then until now. Heck, I remember having an issue with Skyrim and all I had to do is DDU the driver, reinstall and everything worked great. :) I do not personally use Nvidia stuff in my computers but, I have no issue with using in something I build for others.

Basically, I think we have something coming that will at least pleasantly surprise us.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
like this
I can understand that point of view. Its just disappointing to see it so widely held in a forum like [H]. Where I have to believe after years of gaming everyone of us has experienced a NV driver issue... and or a AMD one depending which cards we have been loyal to. I get only a handful of us really go back and forth. But I really have had more driver issues with NV the last few years. I know that is a product of game choices... and I guess my mix of played games might be odd. Still I guess that is why warehouse deals on NV cards can sometimes be good scores lol... they get returned for driver issues just as often I would assume. But folks at the store are more likely to just return them then actually ask the customer if they installed the latest drivers. ;)

This "standard" mentality also goes into Driver features and bugs. Nvidia drivers have issues, but those issues are "standard" IE they're PC issues, not "PCs with Nvidia cards" issues. MOST PCs have these issues. that makes them standard. The fact that AMD cards don't have those issues makes them features, not "lack of bugs". And thus, any issues the AMD drivers have are "AMD issues". So you have "Normal PC Issues" and "AMD issues". You don't have "Nvidia issues", as the standard line of quality is measured by Nvidia.

I would wonder more about who's feeding your customers this garbage info about there being "standards"

I would wonder more about who's feeding your customers this garbage info about there being "standards"

That's just the world, my friend. These customers have friends who they play online with. They have youtubers they watch, They have streamers who they look up to, They have IT departments who advise them.

If you're a kid who gets a new PC as birthday present, and All your friends run Nvidia cards, and YOU run an AMD card, and when joining your friends online in a game, and YOU crash and nobody else has difficulty: You're going to get shit on by your friends for being poor and getting the poor man's computer with tons of issues. If your friends have issues and you don't: you're just lucky.

If you're an adult who has maybe two hours a WEEK to game and you just want something that is ready to go, and you see on youtube people talking about 5700XT black-screen issues: what are you going to choose? Yeah, these issues are almost all resolved
but Nvidia cards never had these issues. You don't want to spend those precious few hours you have troubleshooting. So when you buy a new PC (something you may do only every 5-6 years) you go with the thing that you feel will give you the LEAST amount of grief for that half-decade you're going to be stuck with it.

Face it. The only way AMD can win in this environment is by being perfect. anything less than 100% perfection will be met with distrust.

This "standard" mentality also goes into Driver features and bugs. Nvidia drivers have issues, but those issues are "standard" IE they're PC issues, not "PCs with Nvidia cards" issues. MOST PCs have these issues. that makes them standard. The fact that AMD cards don't have those issues makes them features, not "lack of bugs". And thus, any issues the AMD drivers have are "AMD issues". So you have "Normal PC Issues" and "AMD issues". You don't have "Nvidia issues", as the standard line of quality is measured by Nvidia.

Nvidia has Nvidia issues.
The following all effect Nvidias current driver....

[World of Warcraft Shadowlands]: When run at frame rates greater than 60 FPS with high display settings, moving characters display minute twitching/stuttering. [200647563]
[Sunset Overdrive]: The game may display random green corruption if Depth of Field is enabled from in-game settings. [2750770]
[VR}: HDCP errors occur with Valve Index VR. [2967616]
[Call of Duty: Modern Warfare]: Game may randomly show large frame rate drop with ray tracing enabled [3050468]
[Forza Motorsport 7]: The curb may display a black strip during a race on certain tracks. [2781776]
[Fortnite]: Blue-screen crash occurs pointing to nvlddmkm.sys when playing the game at 4K resolution. [200645328] To work around, set the resolution to lower than 4k.
Video playback on the secondary display lags/freezes while playing a game on the primary display if Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling is enabled [200586262]
[Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. [3009452]

I just cherry picked a few that can easily lead to people returning "defective" cards.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-45206-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/
I don't know looking through the 452.06 thread... I would swear that NV drivers are just complete and utter garbage. ;)

Based on what I’ve read, it seems like AMD cards are much more sensitive to instability such as from overclocks or power delivery. I’ve seen a decent amount of issues “fixed” by replacing PSU’s or backing off an overclock. The problem is that these issues don’t seem to show up on Nvidia as often. My last AMD card was an HD7950 and I honestly can’t remember any specific issues but I’ve also never had any issues I can remember with my 1050Ti, 980Ti or 1080 in the past 3 years.

Can't really loose sales if you dont have the product to sell. Lets be honest the launch for the 3080/3090 is going to be VERY VERY limited supply. If anything AMD has a chance to sell more GPU's since its on the TSMC node which has better yields.

Pretty sure Kyle said the 3080 will be plentiful and the 3090 hard to find.

But I also think the demand for the 3080 will be insane. Maybe 5% of the people I know cared about Turing. Practically everyone I know is fired up for a 3080/3090.

Nvidia has Nvidia issues.
The following all effect Nvidias current driver....

[World of Warcraft Shadowlands]: When run at frame rates greater than 60 FPS with high display settings, moving characters display minute twitching/stuttering. [200647563]
[Sunset Overdrive]: The game may display random green corruption if Depth of Field is enabled from in-game settings. [2750770]
[VR}: HDCP errors occur with Valve Index VR. [2967616]
[Call of Duty: Modern Warfare]: Game may randomly show large frame rate drop with ray tracing enabled [3050468]
[Forza Motorsport 7]: The curb may display a black strip during a race on certain tracks. [2781776]
[Fortnite]: Blue-screen crash occurs pointing to nvlddmkm.sys when playing the game at 4K resolution. [200645328] To work around, set the resolution to lower than 4k.
Video playback on the secondary display lags/freezes while playing a game on the primary display if Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling is enabled [200586262]
[Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. [3009452]

I just cherry picked a few that can easily lead to people returning "defective" cards.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-45206-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/
I don't know looking through the 452.06 thread... I would swear that NV drivers are just complete and utter garbage. ;)
Yes, but as these are issues affecting MOST PCs, these are 'normal' and aren't issues with Nvidia's products, they're just "issues"

Pictured here, beats 3090 series' Triple slot by 2 slots

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6000-big-navi-graphics-card-pictured-16-gb-gddr6-memory/

1599695965018.png

They still have multiple current issues with RDR 2 that include blank screens and desktop crashes.

Thats likely RDR2, since the 7/28 patch the game has been all kinds of unstable, especially online. Its better now but I've had random crashes for over a month now with 3 different Adrenalin drivers from AMD. This was a forced update by RDR2 to the 2020 AMD drivers too.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Back