Video stuttering in Firefox

Peat Moss

Gawd
For the past 6 months I've noticed that embedded videos (on websites) are really laggy and stutter in Firefox. I've tried turning on (and off) hardware acceleration, but it makes no difference. I've tried tinkering with other settings, but nothing seems to help. I've been researching this problem for several weeks now.

Brave, MS Edge, and Chrome do not have this problem, only Firefox.

I don't really want to give up Firefox as it's my default browser, but this video problem is really driving me crazy. Is this a known issue? Does Firefox use more RAM on embedded videos?

Any suggestions?

Have you looked into task manager? Maybe it's a bug and hardware acceleration is still active or the setting gets overwritten. In this case you could try resetting the options or reinstalling it in general. I don't know whether there is an option to keep all your cookies etc but it may be worth trying.

Recent Firefox's enable "cool stuff", like trying to take advantage of HW acceleration, etc.

Sometimes "cool stuff" isn't so cool though.

You could try disabling all of that. You can try unclicking using the recommended performance, and unclicking the HW acceleration.

See if that helps.

Recent Firefox's enable "cool stuff", like trying to take advantage of HW acceleration, etc.

Sometimes "cool stuff" isn't so cool though.

You could try disabling all of that. You can try unclicking using the recommended performance, and unclicking the HW acceleration.

See if that helps.

Yup, already did.

I haven't ran into this one (yet). Do you use any extensions for FF? Like a video downloader?

Does it happen right out of the gate from a boot up, or when you have a lot of tabs opened for an extended period of time?

Maybe try an extension called h264ify

According to the description, it only works for Youtube. If Youtube was stuttering before and it doesn't after using this extension then your problem with embedded videos might be an issue with what they're encoded with.

You said you're using Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset integrated graphics (circa 2009). That means you're probably using a Core 2 Duo or Quad which is a bit lacking in CPU prowess for modern video standards. Since you don't have a dedicated video card to offload video decoding your CPU might not be up to the task. If that's the issue see if there are any other extensions that can force playing older encoding standards or find a somewhat modern cheap video card to do the decoding for you. I know you said other browsers work without issue, maybe Firefox got rid of using older video encoding standards by default. I don't know if the extension method is the only way or if there's an option in Firefox to change that. I wish you luck, good for you for keeping that system still in use!

Maybe try an extension called h264ify

According to the description, it only works for Youtube. If Youtube was stuttering before and it doesn't after using this extension then your problem with embedded videos might be an issue with what they're encoded with.

You said you're using Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset integrated graphics (circa 2009). That means you're probably using a Core 2 Duo or Quad which is a bit lacking in CPU prowess for modern video standards. Since you don't have a dedicated video card to offload video decoding your CPU might not be up to the task. If that's the issue see if there are any other extensions that can force playing older encoding standards or find a somewhat modern cheap video card to do the decoding for you. I know you said other browsers work without issue, maybe Firefox got rid of using older video encoding standards by default. I don't know if the extension method is the only way or if there's an option in Firefox to change that. I wish you luck, good for you for keeping that system still in use!

Yeah, thanks. It makes me wonder if Firefox is doing something different with older codecs.

Back