VIA VB8001 Motherboard; available now?

Nobu

[H]F Junkie
I found a site which appears to be selling the VB8001(-16). I don't know if they really have it, or if they're a reliable store to be buying from(I just found them in a search for "VB8001" in Google's "Product Search".

Just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone's interested. If anyone knows the credibility of that store, that'd be nice to know. It's currently listing the motherboard for US$216, but I read here that it may be available for less(don't know if I believe them, though).

Shane McGlaun over at ars technica has posted about the board. ("VIA unveils first mini-ITX motherboard for Nano processor")
The VIA page with specifications is here.

By the way, is this news worthy material?

Ah, apparently it's "*OUT OF STOCK" and will be "Available December". XD

Anyway, just a heads-up.

Is this a dual core chip?
I would assume that it is not. They don't mention it in the specifications and I don't think VIA has started making dual-core processors yet(I believe it is in the plans, though). I'm anxious for one too, but they'll probably not make those until they start making 45nm processors.

Is this a dual core chip?

No it is not. However, there was a video of it playing crysis released by via a while ago, so it appears to be fast enough without that. I wouldn't expect to see a dual core version any time soon either, since via has never done that before, and they generally stick to the ultra-low power areas. However, since its TDP is 5-25W, it is not unthinkable. Wikipedia mentions multiple cores in the future as a possibility.

I am interested in one of these mainly because it would use less power and be more powerful that the P4 1.4GHz system that I use for my Endian Firewall. The key feature is that it has a PCI-E slot so I could use a dual or quad-nic card that could actually have enough bandwidth with the system unlike a regular PCI version.

Back