Via, Dual-core/64-bit

Nobu

[H]F Junkie
I did a little searching because I was interested in finding out if there were any dual-core or 64-bit Via processors.

I found an article here about a 64-bit processor they were planning and one here about a "twin-core" processor, but both were outdated(2004) and I didn't see any others except a few that basically said the same thing in the same year.

What I was wondering was if they are still planning on making multi-core/64-bit processors, server or otherwise, since that would be a real good incentive for me to get a Via computer in the future(Who wouldn't want a 64-bit/dual-core processor that uses less than 40 watts of power?). ^.^

I don't think they're doing much to go forward with 64 bit support or dual core.

As for dual core, 64 bit, and under 40 watts, it's already possible. Mobile Core 2 Duo is 64 bit, dual core, and pulls about 25 watts. Quite possible to do a full system around the 40 watt mark. Built one myself. I could get better if I went to a laptop hard drive, but 50 watts under a full load is good enough for me.

A nice system, to say the least. Nice looking box as well. ;)

I was thinking about heat as well, though, since it seems Via does well to keep heat low(Although that may be a byproduct of the low power consumption) as well, and it would be nice to save on heating and cooling.

About how much did that system cost, btw?

Too much. ;)

All total I think it ended up being close to $800, although the majority of that went into the board and CPU. The 500GB drive was pulled for another system and replaced with a spare 80GB I have. It's also been upgraded to 2GB of RAM.

Not much heat off this, either. the single large fan and mesh sides do a hell of a job of keeping air moving.

Via does have it beat on price, the board cost as much as two ITX boards. Performance isn't even close, Via doesn't compete in the same game, let alone the same playing field.

Back