Valve Steam Pal

IMO, they'd be better off doing some agreement with Nintendo on the Switch. I'm sure they think they can make more money, but I just don't see them moving more units compared to what they could get on the Switch if they worked with Nintendo to get some special implementation on there for Steam.

https://videocardz.com/newz/valve-steampal-handheld-gaming-console-rumored-to-feature-amd-apu

Just when you thought the PSP and
Game Boy color era was over with. This would be nice for all thiose side scrollers on Steam. Unless thus thing is a serious powerhouse.

What do you mean "over" with? It's still going strong. Sure SONY shit the bed on it, as did SEGA as did the SNK NEOGEO Pocket, as did Atari, as did multiple PC based hardware attempts from various companies but it never ended. Nintendo went strong. GameBoy Color > GameBoy Advance > GameBoy Advance SP > Nintendo DS (various versions) > Nintendo 3Ds (various versions including a 2D one lol) Nintendo Switch. These pocket based devices are cash cows that sell insane amounts of units at a profit for Nintendo, are easy to develop for because they aren't a PC with all the massive problems for that platform, are cheap to develop for as they don't try to go for AAA console titles really, and they sell game units like gang busters. The Nintendo Switch already has all those side scrollers from Steam on it, as well as a slew of other Steam games you wouldn't expect and a lot of Nintendo and other exclusives.

There really isn't a point for this. If it's a PC it's doomed because it will have the boat anchor and cancer of the PC platform. Not straight to the metal, OS and other bloat, along with drivers and games having to support all sorts of hardware. That's the worst possible situation for a game platform that you can overcome on a PC simply by throwing more cash and electricity at the problem. For a mobile gaming solution you can't actually do that so that will kill it Steam Library or no Steam Library. If it's not a sort of PC then what is it and what is Valve doing? If it's some sort of streaming device that's interesting but most of those have crashed and burned as well. If it's their own console and a real console than they are going to crash and burn like everyone else did.

IMO, they'd be better off doing some agreement with Nintendo on the Switch. I'm sure they think they can make more money, but I just don't see them moving more units compared to what they could get on the Switch if they worked with Nintendo to get some special implementation on there for Steam.

Nintendo does not need or want them, this would be stupid for Nintendo. All those side scrollers and things on Steam, yeah those are all on the Switch already. Plenty of good modern stuff as well that is fully optomized for it as well. Steam would be a negative for Nintendo in every way.

What do you mean "over" with? It's still going strong. Sure SONY shit the bed on it, as did SEGA as did the SNK NEOGEO Pocket, as did Atari, as did multiple PC based hardware attempts from various companies but it never ended. Nintendo went strong. GameBoy Color > GameBoy Advance > GameBoy Advance SP > Nintendo DS (various versions) > Nintendo 3Ds (various versions including a 2D one lol) Nintendo Switch. These pocket based devices are cash cows that sell insane amounts of units at a profit for Nintendo, are easy to develop for because they aren't a PC with all the massive problems for that platform, are cheap to develop for as they don't try to go for AAA console titles really, and they sell game units like gang busters. The Nintendo Switch already has all those side scrollers from Steam on it, as well as a slew of other Steam games you wouldn't expect and a lot of Nintendo and other exclusives.

There really isn't a point for this. If it's a PC it's doomed because it will have the boat anchor and cancer of the PC platform. Not straight to the metal, OS and other bloat, along with drivers and games having to support all sorts of hardware. That's the worst possible situation for a game platform that you can overcome on a PC simply by throwing more cash and electricity at the problem. For a mobile gaming solution you can't actually do that so that will kill it Steam Library or no Steam Library. If it's not a sort of PC then what is it and what is Valve doing? If it's some sort of streaming device that's interesting but most of those have crashed and burned as well. If it's their own console and a real console than they are going to crash and burn like everyone else did.

Nintendo does not need or want them, this would be stupid for Nintendo. All those side scrollers and things on Steam, yeah those are all on the Switch already. Plenty of good modern stuff as well that is fully optomized for it as well. Steam would be a negative for Nintendo in every way.
Not if Nintendo is taking a 30% cut of everything anyways.

Not if Nintendo is taking a 30% cut of everything anyways.

The amount of the cut is really not even the main point. If you own or make a console platform you do not need or want a PC gaming client. To start off there aren't any good ones, they all suck to various degrees and only exist because the PC is an open platform so there is no one company that's going to step in and end the madness. They are all bug ridden messes, that publish bug ridden messes (and I'm even talking of the exact same games) that would never fly on a consoles distribution service, on a platform that is famous for being the most bug ridden mess there is for gaming.

Nintendo has a perfectly working distribution service and vastly better quality control and standards than Steam.

As neat as a portable gaming PC sounds, it's a walking disaster looking for something to screw up, ditto with Steam. That's probably going to stay that way. The closest sort of solution that "might" work is Microsoft cleaning up their store and xbox game pass and releasing some sort of surface device. But even that is going up a track record of fail.

There's no way Nintendo would agree to this. There are plenty of titles on both Steam and Switch. I know plenty of people who double dip just to play games thye already own on the go. Switch users being able to play Steam games would absolutely cut into their sales.

I'm all for it. I use my switch a bunch in both handheld and fullscreen play and there are a ton of games that I have on PC that I would love to play handheld.

Nintendo won't use an X86 processor for multiple obvious reasons, but i'd buy the hell out of a dedicated handheld device that allows me to play most of my steam games. Not even all of em, i'm not looking for cyberpunk on handheld, but many of the more lightweight stuff? Hells yeah.

Even if its just a mostly dumb handheld that uses a better version of Steamlink to stream things. I'm all for it.

Back