Valve Index In Stock at 10am PDT 3/9

capnstabn

Gawd
Going to sell out very quickly because Coronavirus is as bad for virtual reality, as it is for reality reality.

trying to get controllers. Cant even get past address validation screen.

I didn't get a chance to see when my estimated ship date was based on the submitted order, but looking like 10 weeks+ for some items now? Won't be playing Index until Half Life 3 is out.

I refreshed the page the second it cut over and the Index kit was already 5-7 weeks, so I don't think there was any real chance of getting it before HL:Alyx launch. Sucks for people who wanted to play it on launch and don't already have a VR system.

Hopefully those estimates are really wrong.

But look in line with "Valve Time" heh.

I refreshed the page the second it cut over and the Index kit was already 5-7 weeks, so I don't think there was any real chance of getting it before HL:Alyx launch. Sucks for people who wanted to play it on launch and don't already have a VR system.

Yeah it does. Did you already get billed? I did and it seems a bunch of people didn't until it gets closer to the ship time.

Yeah it does. Did you already get billed? I did and it seems a bunch of people didn't until it gets closer to the ship time.

No, it said I was getting a separate email closer to the estimated shipping date which would allow me to make the payment or cancel.

Oh they got their money out of me. Already hit the card.

EDIT: But I only ordered controllers to go with my wireless Vive.

Have any of you considered the PiMax 5K Plus? I recently got one and wow what a difference in games it makes. The enormous FoV is really game changing in VR. It doesn't feel like you're stuck looking through a pair of binoculars as much as you are just looking around in real life. The 5K Plus is also 120Hz however it does require a very beefy GPU to push. I wouldn't bother with anything less than a GTX 1080 Ti or a RTX 2080.

Have any of you considered the PiMax 5K Plus? I recently got one and wow what a difference in games it makes. The enormous FoV is really game changing in VR. It doesn't feel like you're stuck looking through a pair of binoculars as much as you are just looking around in real life. The 5K Plus is also 120Hz however it does require a very beefy GPU to push. I wouldn't bother with anything less than a GTX 1080 Ti or a RTX 2080.

If I had a better rig and $700 to burn, maybe. How high does the IPD go on the PiMax? I have to max out the Vive and even then I don't think it's quite right for me.

Seems like you sort of "pre-order" them because it says 5-7 weeks for Index kit shipping, 2-4 weeks for Index Controllers.

As of nearly 6PM central time...
Base stations out of stock.
Controllers ship in 4 to 6.
Whole kit "after" 8 weeks.
Headset + controllers "after" 8 weeks.
Headset 8 to 10.

Guess I'll wait for a 2080ti successor at those wait times.

If I had a better rig and $700 to burn, maybe. How high does the IPD go on the PiMax? I have to max out the Vive and even then I don't think it's quite right for me.
There is actually 2 settings to adjust IPD on the PiMax, there is a scroll wheel on the side of the headset and software setting in the PiMax Tools app.

I ordered a full Index Kit at 1 PM eastern, 10 AM pacific just as the site came live.
I got an email shortly after that.
It seems that I'll be billed as the time approaches for the kit to be shipped.
My account page says shipping in 2-4 weeks.
oh well. gives me time to set up the basement for the whole deal.
I said I'd never do this. But Alyx roped me in, I hope the game is worth the investment.

I ordered a full Index Kit at 1 PM eastern, 10 AM pacific just as the site came live.
I got an email shortly after that.
It seems that I'll be billed as the time approaches for the kit to be shipped.
My account page says shipping in 2-4 weeks.
oh well. gives me time to set up the basement for the whole deal.
I said I'd never do this. But Alyx roped me in, I hope the game is worth the investment.

I was the same way until I got to play with one for a bit. Alyx is going to be cool but a ton of the cheapo games are surprisingly fun.

Plenty of other games to make it worthwhile.

Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is pretty awesome.
Boneworks is cool if you can handle the locomotion (I couldn't, it made me nauseous)
Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (H3VR)
Beat Saber
The Gallery games
Other titles ported to VR (Skyrim, Fallout 4, No Man's Sky, SUPERHOT)
Tons of little "experiences" and stuff

Plenty of other games to make it worthwhile.

Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is pretty awesome.
Boneworks is cool if you can handle the locomotion (I couldn't, it made me nauseous)
Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (H3VR)
Beat Saber
The Gallery games
Other titles ported to VR (Skyrim, Fallout 4, No Man's Sky, SUPERHOT)
Tons of little "experiences" and stuff
Cockpit games, too. Elite Dangerous, DCS World, racing games, et cetera.

IMHO, cockpit games are the real killer app. Assuming you can set up the wheel/pedals/joysticks setup somewhere, they play really well to the current strengths and limitations of the technology.

My kit is going to be here Friday. Guess I got lucky!
I would like to join your club, alas I have not yet been invited.

Did you receive email regarding shipping or did you have to check status @steam/valve?

I would like to join your club, alas I have not yet been invited.

Did you receive email regarding shipping or did you have to check status @steam/valve?

I got an email just now asking for my address and payment details.
I confirmed my payment card and my order status was updated to "processing for shipping".
Yahoo.:)

I got an email just now asking for my address and payment details.
I confirmed my payment card and my order status was updated to "processing for shipping".
Yahoo.:)

Wow that is awesome. Looks like they might over deliver on the estimated shipping.

I just got the email allowing me to confirm shipping details and pay for the controllers. Does that indicate it should be shipping soon?

I just got the email allowing me to confirm shipping details and pay for the controllers. Does that indicate it should be shipping soon?
Mine was the same.
I think the rate limiting step now is just how long it takes to pack the item and print the label.
I'll be excited if I get mine by the end of next week!
Alyx doesnt release until 23rd anyway.

Yeah it seems they only ask for the money when the items are ready to go. I could be wrong but everyone who has payed has their shipping process moving along.

My Index kit shipped today.
Arrival Monday!
I am almost set with the physical layout.
As with everyone, looks like the next month is going to be cancelled, so let the games begin.

Controllers are prepping to ship, got tracking info. Would love to see them this weekend but probably not.

EDIT: Supposed to show up Tuesday. In time for Alyx at least!

Last edited:
From 3/9 to 3/14. Not too bad after waiting months for stock.
IMG_20200314_123616274.jpg

Viveport service is pretty cool if you are wanting to try and bunch of different games, and has a 14 day free trial. Pistol Whip is pretty fun.

What I want to know.....
Can you charge the controllers with a phone charger?

Back