Valheim

yea, that's what it looked like. I got swamped by little goblin things there. need to work on defenses and stuff. perhaps build a wall or corral to filter them through into a hole.

What's awesome is that repairs are free.

I have my main base surrounded by spiked walls in the black forrest, and during an attack I'll just sit there with my hammer repairing as they attack the walls. After a few hits, they just run back as if I'm not there any more lol.

They'll probably fix that, because it's really impossible for them to break in if you do that.

I have my main base surrounded by spiked walls in the black forrest, and during an attack I'll just sit there with my hammer repairing as they attack the walls. After a few hits, they just run back as if I'm not there any more lol.

They'll probably fix that, because it's really impossible for them to break in if you do that.

Our coastal base we dug a moat around the outside of the wall. Now, nothing even touches it wall to damage it, its pretty great.

Will they actually start attacking your home? So, walls, moats, and other things are necessary then, huh?

Our coastal base we dug a moat around the outside of the wall. Now, nothing even touches it wall to damage it, its pretty great.

Got a pic for reference? I'd like to see what you did.

Just got raided by 3 trolls. Raids are getting more intense.

Is there any way to play this on open servers? I played it the other day but every server on the search list was password protected and it seems like you need to coordinate with friends in advance to make one to play on.

Is there any way to play this on open servers? I played it the other day but every server on the search list was password protected and it seems like you need to coordinate with friends in advance to make one to play on.

Doubtful to find a decent server that's not password locked. I could see hackers being a huge problem if servers weren't locked.

All of those servers(except for official if there are any) are player bought servers.

Just go to the discord channel and see who's inviting to play with. You should get a password in no time.

New beach house in the works.

4b6wke5.jpg

zZ16yPw.jpg

[Spoiler Alert]
A bit on the cheating side... But this may help a ton.

Personally, I don't have the need for this yet as I'm still finding ores in the area around my base.

this game makes me want to break my EA (early access) policy.
The only concern I have is the developers screwing up the design by "tweaking" things too much. It feels like minecraft at release in a lot of ways. The basic stuff is all there, it works, and you can dump tons of hours into it having fun in all different ways. They could always keep adding different levels of armor and weapons, different materials, etc. but none of it would fundamentally alter the game. Or they could do whacky off-the-wall ideas we haven't thought of and that might destroy the fun. Who knows. For that reason it might be worthwhile holding off, but as-is I think it's worth trying it if you think you'd like minecraft with a touch of survival play.

A couple of friends bought this and got a server so I ended up getting it. Seems okay so far, basically Minecraft but third person and blurrier textures, lol.

Long shot here, but has anyone else seen a sort of grim reaper type ghost spawn in the meadows at night? I just saw it and a moment later it poofed in a puff of smoke. Totally different than the ghosts in the tombs. It looked like a grim reaper without a scythe. Really creepy.

A couple of friends bought this and got a server so I ended up getting it. Seems okay so far, basically Minecraft but third person and blurrier textures, lol.
Let's set up a trade route! If you guys need anything, let me know!

Long shot here, but has anyone else seen a sort of grim reaper type ghost spawn in the meadows at night? I just saw it and a moment later it poofed in a puff of smoke. Totally different than the ghosts in the tombs. It looked like a grim reaper without a scythe. Really creepy.
Yes. He pops in and out at random. I've tried shooting him, or getting close.

I don't think any one really knows who he is or what he does.

Could be just a cool way of creeping us out, lol

Furthermore -

Got attacked by a serpent this last time out on the ocean, nearly died and lost all my crap. I think I'll be sailing near the coast lines for now on, just in case he attacks and I die.

Swimming is a real pain in the ass in this game.

It's good but it's intentional blur like those god rays not to deconstruct the game but I just think people want a good game to jump on.

It's good but it's intentional blur like those god rays not to deconstruct the game but I just think people want a good game to jump on.
But you've said many times realistic games suck because of uncanny valley or something like that.. lol

Personally I like the art style a LOT. It's kind of a PS1 aesthetic but with the modern trappings of a beautiful lighting and shader system. I've always thought that when it comes to art design in any game, shaders and lighting is BY FAR the most important aspect, compared to asset quality (models and textures.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
like this
Is the LODbias setting in the console command something that would fix the blur?

Personally, I don't see the blur as a huge inconvenience. You can still see animals and creatures and few hundred yards out.

Depth of field causes the distant blur... it's recreation of the effect of a camera focusing on something near to it where things in the distance become blurred. I love the effect, it's working as intended, but toggle it off if it bothers you

Depth of field causes the distant blur... it's recreation of the effect of a camera focusing on something near to it where things in the distance become blurred. I love the effect, it's working as intended, but toggle it off if it bothers you
Yes, and when implemented well it can look quite nice. Its not in this game, it just smears things in vaseline.

Then what's the LODbias setting do?

I've changed it multiple different number and am not seeing anything.

Default is 5

Helps that the game is so cheap. For more than $20 I probably wouldn't have bothered.

My "server" is my old 2700x/16GB RAM desktop now running Ubuntu Server. Overall I see 3-4% CPU usage and currently 2GB of RAM used by the server with 4 people playing concurrently.
Using the repo you linked to, I got it up and running on my Synology 1618+ and it's at about a similar load right now with just me running around.

I feel the scale feels off or something. My Viking warrior feels like he's 3ft tall running through the grass then massive once inside...also is there anyway to make it easier to see stuff? Everything looks blurry or something.

Like the gameplay overall though it could definitely use some tweaks making it less grindy.

Also how do you repair equipment?

This game is grindy as shit, and really does seem like it's balanced to be done co-op. Some of the enemies are extremely tanky and it's kind of a chore kiting them around waiting for your stamina to regen.

This game is grindy as shit, and really does seem like it's balanced to be done co-op. Some of the enemies are extremely tanky and it's kind of a chore kiting them around waiting for your stamina to regen.

Upgrade your weapons. Get the finewood bow, upgrade it and you use at least flint arrows... They destroy all adds. Also use parry. Parry stuns pretty much anything of your size, and you'll get a free critical hit right after.

Once you hit bronze, the enemies are pretty easy even soloing.. until further levels like the swamp and plains

Last edited:
So I've been playing solo mostly. Tried joining one server but I was never really on at the same time as everyone else. Anyway, it feels a lot more like minecraft when playing solo once you get used to the mobs. I've gotten to the swamp but my main base is still in the black forest. The swamp was pretty annoying at first with the high poison damage and tons of mobs everywhere. It does feel grindy to an extent. You're basically just repeating the same thing in each biome. I like the art style though and I think with a group of friends playing together it'd be much more fun on the exploration side. Right now I'm trying to build stuff and in that sense it feels very similar to minecraft but with some "realistic" architectural limitations that you have to work around, which is fun in its own way.

rpztfo.png
dlwa9f.png

Here's a picture of the moat I started building around my base and the bridge I'm working on to cross the channel where my base is situated. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to protect my boats when they're not in use. Mobs will come from either side of the forest and swim to the boats, eventually destroying them.

Small patch this morning -

* Disable google analytics
* Updated Unity engine
* Forest crypt fixes
* Credits updated
* Save system returned to old-new
* Pickables sync fix (stones,carrots etc)
* Dedicated server CPU usage fix (Framerate limiter)
* Hearth smoke building fix
* Save system tweaks
* Console "save" function can be used remotely if player is added to admin list
* Autosave every 20min (instead of 30min)
* Manual join IP function (dedicated servers only)
* Extra tombstone checks ( to prevent them from disappearing )
* Better broken world handling ( crash/exit instead of loading an empty world )
* Localization fixes

So I've been playing solo mostly. Tried joining one server but I was never really on at the same time as everyone else. Anyway, it feels a lot more like minecraft when playing solo once you get used to the mobs. I've gotten to the swamp but my main base is still in the black forest. The swamp was pretty annoying at first with the high poison damage and tons of mobs everywhere. It does feel grindy to an extent. You're basically just repeating the same thing in each biome. I like the art style though and I think with a group of friends playing together it'd be much more fun on the exploration side. Right now I'm trying to build stuff and in that sense it feels very similar to minecraft but with some "realistic" architectural limitations that you have to work around, which is fun in its own way.

View attachment 330202
View attachment 330204

Here's a picture of the moat I started building around my base and the bridge I'm working on to cross the channel where my base is situated. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to protect my boats when they're not in use. Mobs will come from either side of the forest and swim to the boats, eventually destroying them.
Why not just build a teleport in the swamps(or nearby)? I know you can't port metals, but you could essentially save a lot of damage and time from not building up a whole other base again or sailing there. Maybe an additional workbench and forge too(for iron and repairs), and bed, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Back