USB3.0 Ethernet adaptor 200kbit on USB3.0

M76

[H]F Junkie
I just had a lightning strike kill one of the LAN ports on my MB. So I Got an external adapter as a quick replacement. RMA-ing the MB, hell no.

The problem I'm having is if I connect the adapter to an actual USB 3.0 port the speed drops to around 200kbits/s. But if I connect it to an USB 2.0 port it can go up to the speed of my internet connection.

So I'm actually fine with it as long as I don't upgrade my subscription.

I'm just curious what could cause this? Incompatibility between the USB3 controller and the adaptor? I assumed USB is universally compatible :D

Which OS? Asking because 8.1 and 10 use built-in USB 3.0 drivers whereas if you use 7, you should make sure you have the latest USB 3.0 drivers from Intel installed.

Also, do you know for sure that the USB 3.0 port(s) work? Like do you have a USB 3.0 flash drive or something you can use to test transfer rates and make sure it's not possibly just a port that got damaged also? USB 1.0/2.0 and 3.0 are fairly independent so it's fully possible for the 3.0 part of a port to get damaged but have the 1.0/2.0 part of the port still function normally. It could be backing down all the way to USB 1.0 speeds on the possibly broken port.

I just had a lightning strike kill one of the LAN ports on my MB. So I Got an external adapter as a quick replacement. RMA-ing the MB, hell no.

The problem I'm having is if I connect the adapter to an actual USB 3.0 port the speed drops to around 200kbits/s. But if I connect it to an USB 2.0 port it can go up to the speed of my internet connection.

So I'm actually fine with it as long as I don't upgrade my subscription.

I'm just curious what could cause this? Incompatibility between the USB3 controller and the adaptor? I assumed USB is universally compatible :D

Chalk it up to odd USB issues I guess.

I too thought USB was supposed to be universal until I realized that SOME of my Thinkpad's USB3.0 ports would intermittently not work with USB3.0 devices unless you were fresh off a reboot. USB 2.0 devices would work great though. No idea at this point whether it's a software/driver or hardware problem. Multiple motherboards later, I've given up.

How about a cheap PCIE adapter?

It wouldn't hurt to open up the Device Manager and check the Properties settings for all of your usb ports. You may have to manually set a port to usb3 if auto switching isn't working and it doesn't hurt to make sure Power Management is turned OFF. You could also check the Network Adaptor settings to make sure its set to usb3 and Power Management is also OFF.

I would probably ask this in a different part of the forum :p
I know, but it is networking after all.

Which OS? Asking because 8.1 and 10 use built-in USB 3.0 drivers whereas if you use 7, you should make sure you have the latest USB 3.0 drivers from Intel installed.

Also, do you know for sure that the USB 3.0 port(s) work? Like do you have a USB 3.0 flash drive or something you can use to test transfer rates and make sure it's not possibly just a port that got damaged also? USB 1.0/2.0 and 3.0 are fairly independent so it's fully possible for the 3.0 part of a port to get damaged but have the 1.0/2.0 part of the port still function normally. It could be backing down all the way to USB 1.0 speeds on the possibly broken port.
It is 10 so Intel's USB3 drivers won't even install. I can't say I trust microsoft's bundled drivers so I'll just blame them if all else fails :p
I don't have an USB3.0 flash drive at the moment to try.
Chalk it up to odd USB issues I guess.

I too thought USB was supposed to be universal until I realized that SOME of my Thinkpad's USB3.0 ports would intermittently not work with USB3.0 devices unless you were fresh off a reboot. USB 2.0 devices would work great though. No idea at this point whether it's a software/driver or hardware problem. Multiple motherboards later, I've given up.

How about a cheap PCIE adapter?
If I was able to fit a pcie adapter into the computer I'd have done that. I choose USB out of necessity.

Another possibility may be that the amount of power available to drive that device differs among the usb ports you have available, which might affect performance.

Back