USB passthrough on Headphones somekinda joke?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I know its not the way to go because the audio has to be coded through USB port on your PC I thought it was tolerable.
Then went back tob 3.5 jack never again bought two more cords through Amazon that can get rolled over with my chair. The Audio with USB sounds so bad I don't know why Headphone companies include it or make the only option bundled.

Could you be more specific? What do you mean by "passthrough"? There is no way to send an analog signal through USB that I know of. If you are hooking your headphones up via USB then that means somewhere there is a little USB powered DAC and amp doing all the hard work and that is probably why it sounds terrible. Probably good enough for a zoom chat but not much more. A standard headphone jack means your headphones are being powered by some amp that is external to the headphone, and probably better than whatever it's using via USB.

I have a 18 year old Sennheiser PC gaming headset that uses a USB Dongle and it actually sounds very very good.
Bought them shortly after I got this GPU to use when playing Counterstrike Source.

9600xt.jpg

The issue with most USB devices is the DAC they use tends to be cheap, so even onboard does a better job at converting the audio into analog. I have seen *some* decent implementations though.

Wow didn't know about USB-C being like analog I know it worked on my Katanna but one end was USB.

I know its not the way to go because the audio has to be coded through USB port on your PC I thought it was tolerable.
Then went back tob 3.5 jack never again bought two more cords through Amazon that can get rolled over with my chair. The Audio with USB sounds so bad I don't know why Headphone companies include it or make the only option bundled.
Certifications. To get Skype/Zoom/Teams certified the audio standards have to meet X. There is no way to meet this with a headset/headphones without including the DAC/AMP part of it as well, hence the USB interface. You can however buy an external USB DAC/AMP from any number of companies that will blow onboard to pieces. The few good "come with a USB" implementations out there are generally higher priced and in the case of the nice ones (Steelseries Arctis Pro) come with a large DAC/AMP module which you plug into the PC.

Back