USB changes in W10?

Morlock

Limp Gawd
Microsoft seem to have done some heavy optimizing to how USB works, or external storage, or something, with the recent W10 update. I used to have to wait a couple minutes for Windows to even hit the desktop, if all of my external drives were plugged in (I have like ten of 'em). Now it's like the drives aren't even plugged in.

So, kudos to Microsoft for once. I used to avoid restarts like the plague, because they took like five minutes, if you count all the time it takes after the desktop shows up but Windows is still lagging with stuff it wants to do. But it's way faster now.

Microsoft seem to have done some heavy optimizing to how USB works, or external storage, or something, with the recent W10 update. I used to have to wait a couple minutes for Windows to even hit the desktop, if all of my external drives were plugged in (I have like ten of 'em). Now it's like the drives aren't even plugged in.

So, kudos to Microsoft for once. I used to avoid restarts like the plague, because they took like five minutes, if you count all the time it takes after the desktop shows up but Windows is still lagging with stuff it wants to do. But it's way faster now.

Its because its not rebooting anymore. Its coming out of a sleep state. When you press the shut down or reboot buttons, it either does a soft reset or just puts your computer into hibernation. Its actually annoying as hell when you are trying to troubleshoot something that resolves with a reboot since it just comes right back up after you hit reset.

You have ten external USB HDD's? Wow!

Something has changed regarding the way Windows handles USB devices because there was an issue with one of the updates only a few months ago where USB keyboards and mice weren't working at all in certain scenarios. That was an interesting problem to resolve if the PC didn't have a PS/2 port or a touch screen.

Back