USB-c on 6800XT

griff30

Supreme [H]ardness
Not that the cards are even widely available, are the any other uses for USB-C port?
I know monitors, VR headsets but those are rare and you could charge some phonea but maybe adding fast temporary memory?
AMD does not have Tensor cores on the card, maybe I'll just add a Coral TPU. Lol
Nvidia dropped the port on 3080 for lack of use, just wondering if AMD sees relevance to adding it?

I personaly have been wondering about its use myself. even the partner 6800 boards dropped it from the non reference models.

It’s pretty much put there for VR headsets and that’s about it. Since that market is still very small relative to the entire PC gaming market many AIB partners are dropping them altogether.

Are there any VR headsets that use USB-C DP Alt mode? VirtualLink was DP Alt mode with the reversible USB 2.0 data channel (2x2 pins in USB-C) converted to two lanes of USB 3.1 (one up, one down). However, I don't think any VirtualLink headsets actually made it to the market (and the only one I could think of [which was canceled] used an adaptor, anyways).

Either way, I see both of these things as AMD and Nvidia preparing for the eventual DP 2.0, which requires USB-C to reach max datarates (80Gbps), with the traditional connector being limited to lower speeds.

I'm planning to use the one on mine for the internal PC system monitor. Other than what's listed above, no, not really.

Its there for VR. For instance Quest 2 has a USB c to fiber to usb c cable they use to feed PC graphics through usb to the mask.

But you can use it for literally any C device. Hard drive, cam, mic, phone, its just another usb port on your rig.

A good use is if you have an older motherboard without C, you can plug a 10gbps C hub into it and get a bunch of USB 3 ports.

Its there for VR. For instance Quest 2 has a USB c to fiber to usb c cable they use to feed PC graphics through usb to the mask.

But you can use it for literally any C device. Hard drive, cam, mic, phone, its just another usb port on your rig.

A good use is if you have an older motherboard without C, you can plug a 10gbps C hub into it and get a bunch of USB 3 ports.
The Quest 2 can be plugged into any USB 3.0 port, afaik, including those not on graphics cards. It does not use DP Alt mode, just the USB 3.x data links.

The Quest 2 can be plugged into any USB 3.0 port, afaik, including those not on graphics cards. It does not use DP Alt mode, just the USB 3.x data links.
Yeah I dont own one so I was assuming that particular scenario

Last edited:
Back