USB-C Cable Arcing on Disconnect

Nobu

[H]F Junkie
I have an Anker USB-C cable which is hooked up to my PC for charging/data transfer. I noticed that when I disconnect it, it arcs inside the cable's connector end several times (about 5 on average, in quick bursts).

Is this normal/expected behavior?

I have an Anker USB-C cable which is hooked up to my PC for charging/data transfer. I noticed that when I disconnect it, it arcs inside the cable's connector end several times (about 5 on average, in quick bursts).

Is this normal/expected behavior?
No it is not. Make sure your outlet is properly grounded. I had a outlet ground go bad and anything metal I touched on my computer shocked me. Even my keyboard which was connected via USB and made of metal.

Cool. Outlet is fine, my power supply has no ground wire though. I grounded the psu chassis, but I guess that wasn't enough. Going to have to investigate further.

I had to have my gfs pixel 1 charging port replaced when a cable shorted a couple years ago.

Melted the cable end, burnt the charging nub thing in the phone into the shape of a dorito.

Wait, what?
Power supply: rps-200-12-c

See the datasheet for details. The input header has only two pins, for line and neutral (no ground). There is a ground symbol embossed in the chassis of the power supply, so that's what I grounded to the case. But either that's not enough or my ground isn't good, so I need to investigate further.

The case is grounded via the ground pin on the three-prong cable. The cable connector came with the original power supply, and is grounded via the screws...maybe. I need to check that. Gotta go hunt down my multimeter.

Last edited:
Power supply: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/mean-well/rps-200-12-c/

See the datasheet for details. The input header has only two pins, for line and neutral (no ground). There is a ground symbol embossed in the chassis of the power supply, so that's what I grounded to the case. But either that's not enough or my ground isn't good, so I need to investigate further.

The case is grounded via the ground pin on the three-prong cable. The cable connector came with the original power supply, and is grounded via the screws...maybe. I need to check that. Gotta go hunt down my multimeter.
Link doesn’t work on my phone. Wtf kind of system is this?

doesn't work on the PC either, but I was able to find it with some googling. Industrial setup of some kind?

doesn't work on the PC either, but I was able to find it with some googling. Industrial setup of some kind?
Sorry, must've mangled the url. Edited link in post.

No, not industrial. I'm using a one2 DC-DC power supply, with the meanwell RPS-200 converting AC to 12V DC. Have a thread in SFF subforum. It's not as compact as I had hoped, but it does reduce cable clutter in the case a lot.

Lots of builds on [sff].net using a similar setup, but I haven't seen them complain of this specific issue. Don't know if they just haven't noticed, don't care, or they actually know what they're doing. lol

Edit: The thread.

oooohhhh. I did a bunch of micro servers using picoPSUs, so now it makes sense. Didn't think about the step between a pico and a actual normal SFF ATX style one. Now that makes sense. Picos I used had a ground from the power brick (think like a laptop) though.

Back