UPS battery to recharge iPad Pro and router?

FSCDiablo

Limp Gawd
Mom wants to buy max battery backup for my aunt when her power goes out. She would need to power an internet modem/router and her iPad Pro (not sure if 11 or 12.9) for maximum time. Looking at 100 and 200 dollar price points. Portability is not an issue. Any help is appreciated!

I’m thinking UPS for router always plus ability to recharge ipad. Really curious of estimates for uptime on how long she could keep up the router and iPad in case of long outage,

Last edited:
I've got an APC BX1000G running my FIOS ONT, WIFI router, and an 8-port gigabit switch. Total draw between the 3 devices is about 20-30 watts, depending on usage. Battery life on the UPS runs something like 5 hours, IIRC. (Though, that UPS has a rather outsized battery for its class...)

Consumer-grade UPSs are generally pretty inefficient once the load drops that low, so there's not going to be a lot of difference between them. For exact numbers, you'll need to look up the specific model on the manufacturer's website and check out the datasheets and runtime charts. Consumer UPS manufacturers market their products on how strong the power supply is, whereas you want to know how big the battery is. Figure most consumer options between 500VA and 1000VA ($75-$150) are going to net around 2 or 3 hours of battery life driving your typical home networking kit. Move up to a consumer-grade 1500VA UPS ($175-$200), you might start seeing 4 to 5 hours.

If a couple hours is enough to get the job done, smartest bang-for-buck would probably be to drop $75-$100 on a reputable UPS to power the router. If you a bit more, you can probably get about 5 hours out of something like the APC BX1500M for $175. If you absolutely need a lot more, you're looking at dropping something like $400 for an APC BR1500G and a BR24BPG extension battery, which'll probably get you around 15 hours.

There are a handful of made-for-purpose home-router UPS solutions I've run across, but they're either wildly overpriced and hard to find, or super sketchy Chinesium specials direct from the depths of Alibaba. Not sure why it's so hard to slap together a power supply, a voltage regulator, and some 18650s, but apparently there isn't enough of a market to get the venture capitalists all hot and bothered.

For the iPad, get a decent 20000mah USB battery bank for $40 or less the next time they're on sale. That'll be good for 2-3 charges, which is approximately forever and a day on an iPad.

There are a handful of made-for-purpose home-router UPS solutions I've run across, but they're either wildly overpriced and hard to find, or super sketchy Chinesium specials direct from the depths of Alibaba. Not sure why it's so hard to slap together a power supply, a voltage regulator, and some 18650s, but apparently there isn't enough of a market to get the venture capitalists all hot and bothered.
This entire category has emerged lately.

If you feel more comfortable with an American brand (what that means these days, who knows), there is this Energizer unit:

Energizer Portable Power Station, PD 45W USB-C Fast Charging Solar Generators, 240Wh/75000mAh(110V/200W) Pure Sine Wave Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery for Home Emergency, Outdoor Camping Power Supply

Of course, this will depend on the draw of said modem/router.

if it's DSL or a Fiber router, it likely draws very little. Cable will depend heavily on the generation.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back