UPS battery brand suggestion?

Instead of screwing around with internal batteries get you some quality bussman 50a breakers, some quality #8 to #6 butt connectors, some #6 wire, a pair of quality AGM or better batteries, some ring connectors, if you don't have a good crimper then one of those, and an afternoon to put it all together. Then you can look at alternate means of charging the batteries like a MPPT solar charge controller and accessories.

I've had the 1500 model a few yrs and don't run into that issue. I was going to buy a new one but found they sell battery replacements for cheap so went that route and it's working fine. I'd highly recommend Cyberpower.
Which one? I had (have?) an older APC Back-ups 850va - and bought batteries for it over a year ago - and it didn't work. The back-UPS didn't do anything and so I wasted whatever the price/cost was - since they're heavy and wasn't worth doing anything - at least, I thought that back then. It made me wary of APC products and I forget where I ordered the battery.

Which one? I had (have?) an older APC Back-ups 850va - and bought batteries for it over a year ago - and it didn't work. The back-UPS didn't do anything and so I wasted whatever the price/cost was - since they're heavy and wasn't worth doing anything - at least, I thought that back then. It made me wary of APC products and I forget where I ordered the battery.
Sounds like you got shafted with dead batteries or the wrong model for your unit. Either way you should have demanded a replacement set, cross shipped on their dime.
I have replaced the batteries in my (now dead) 20+ yo APC unit 4 or 5 times without issue. Its far cheaper to simply buy new batteries vs buying a new unit. Even with an old unit you shouldn't have a hard time finding a solid vendor to get batteries from. Replacing my 1500va APC is going to run me $150-$200 sadly. I replaced the batteries last year (before it died) for around $50.

Still fairly satisfied with Expert Power. One of the 12v 12ah ones I replaced in 2018 just died. Between the 2 previous 12v 9ah and this 12v 12ah that I've bought I'm averaging about 3.5 years out of them, which I consider pretty good for a low cost battery.

Of the two pairs of PowerSonic batteries I picked up almost 4 years ago:
  • The first pair was supporting a couple 24/7 home servers (FreeNAS, Proxmox) as well as the network switch, router, and AP, in an APC 1500 unit. It has handled maybe one or two real power losses per year, as well as the occasional blip, just fine. Those just died earlier this month, and were replaced with the same.
  • The second pair sat for about a year or so (they were going to go into a unit that ended up failing) before eventually going into the APC 900 UPS for my desktop (typically asleep when the power has gone out), and are still running fine.
Seems pretty good for ~$50/pair.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back