UPS battery brand suggestion?

Gabe3

2[H]4U
the ExpertPower one I had lasted 3 years. last night I woke up to a overload solid beep sound on my cyber power. everything connected to it had no power. 3 years for a $23 battery ain't bad. Just wondering if anyone has a brand that lasts maybe longer.

Last edited:
I've read 3-5 years is average battery life on consumer grade backups. I don't have much experience outside of APC and CyberPower but lots of people praise Eaton for their backup solutions.

I have UPS that are 15 years old. APC all the way. As long you know how to replace a battery I would think you can get 10 years out of any of their models.

I've read 3-5 years is average battery life on consumer grade backups. I don't have much experience outside of APC and CyberPower but lots of people praise Eaton for their backup solutions.
yeah. I just ordered another expertpower battery. slightly cheaper on their website than amazon

Reactions: maro
like this
I went with a pair of ExpertPower 4 years ago. Got 3.5 years out of one and the other still going. Those were made in China. I was satisfied enough to buy another pair. These were made in Vietnam and if i get another 3+ years I'll again be saitsfied. The cost for 2 is about what APC or Cyberpower wants for one. Also these are for my house and not some mission-critical use where I get fired or DIE if I try and save a buck and it doesn't work out...

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
I went with a pair of ExpertPower 4 years ago. Got 3.5 years out of one and the other still going. Those were made in China. I was satisfied enough to buy another pair. These were made in Vietnam and if i get another 3+ years I'll again be saitsfied. The cost for 2 is about what APC or Cyberpower wants for one. Also these are for my house and not some mission-critical use where I get fired or DIE if I try and save a buck and it doesn't work out...

APC, Cyberpower, etc. don't make batteries. They just slap their label on generic brands and markup the shit out of them. APC is known to markup batteries and battery packs double, triple and sometimes quadruple the actual cost.

Like APC wants $170+ for the 2 x 18 Ah batteries my 1500VA UPS uses, when I can get them for $60-70 from my parts house. APC can go pound sand.

APC, Cyberpower, etc. don't make batteries. They just slap their label on generic brands and markup the shit out of them. APC is known to markup batteries and battery packs double, triple and sometimes quadruple the actual cost.

Like APC wants $170+ for the 2 x 18 Ah batteries my 1500VA UPS uses, when I can get them for $60-70 from my parts house. APC can go pound sand.
is this the website? https://www.thepartshouse.com/en/home how long do they last?

the original batterys do seem to last longer than these other 3 year batterys. the question is who is making them lol.

Last edited:
I've pulled a lot of CSB batteries out of the old APC units - I'm talking the tan metal case ones that weigh 50 lbs - to the mid age ones when they went to the black plastic cases like the ES series. Like Gig said if you want to get what was in it just peek under the APC/Cyberpower sticker and skip the middleman.
... on most of the older units I worked with they didn't even bother covering up the CSB logo, they'd add a little APC p/n sticker somewhere else on the battery.

I've pulled a lot of CSB batteries out of the old APC units - I'm talking the tan metal case ones that weigh 50 lbs - to the mid age ones when they went to the black plastic cases like the ES series. Like Gig said if you want to get what was in it just peek under the APC/Cyberpower sticker and skip the middleman.
... on most of the older units I worked with they didn't even bother covering up the CSB logo, they'd add a little APC p/n sticker somewhere else on the battery.
unfortunately my original battery is long gone. this cyber power apc is probably 8 years old. the expertpower battery shipped, so I'll have to try the csb next time.

Last edited:
My CyperPower lasted over a decade. It's all I've ever used and they've been reliable.

is this the website? https://www.thepartshouse.com/en/home how long do they last?

the original batterys do seem to last longer than these other 3 year batterys. the question is who is making them lol.

...No.

When I'm talking about my parts house, I'm referring to my suppliers. They don't sell to the public, hence "parts house", they're wholesalers.

You can get most of the same stuff that my parts houses stock, but you're going to pay more for it, because retail pricing. The stuff that you can't is generally trade specific and/or regulated by the government or the manufacturer.

my cyber power 1500w has lasted 9 years but its to a point if the power dips even a tiny bit anything connected shuts off. where i live batterys cant be shipped so i had to drive to a different province to get to a best buy to buy 3 new ups systems all apc all 1500w. go with one that has batterys you can replace and have shipped lol.

my cyber power 1500w has lasted 9 years but its to a point if the power dips even a tiny bit anything connected shuts off. where i live batterys cant be shipped so i had to drive to a different province to get to a best buy to buy 3 new ups systems all apc all 1500w. go with one that has batterys you can replace and have shipped lol.
well actually I made this thread to see which batterys were best, not the actual ups.

I bought mine on Amazon from Beiter DC Power, the batteries were Power King brand. I bought them in 2014(still available). Never had an issue in 6+ years of use. Forgot all about them until i finally bought new batteries last year from batteries plus. This time i went with Duracell brand because they were cheaper than the beiter ones and i could recycle all of my old batteries there vs boxing up and shipping the old ups batteries back. So far so good.
These were for an APC backUPS RS1500 bought in 2007.

well actually I made this thread to see which batterys were best, not the actual ups.
ahh i didnt think we could get differnt branded ones for these thats actually kinda cool ty btw for this now i can do some research and see if any place nearby will offer maybe higher quality battery's

Reactions: Gabe3
like this

Yep this my CyberPower PR750LCD had 2 UB1270 batteries in their pack they were just stuck together with some strong as an OX adhesive. I was lucky that they were still in the unit as it has a 60A maxi fuse between the batteries and a PowerPole (at least it looks like one) that goes to the UPS the two batteries are in series for 24VDC

I got 2 new CSB GP1272 for like $60 CyberPower's pack is like $90 or more!

Same here I have a few of the U-Verse backup UPS units those are neat just a 12VDC UPS and charger in one! Better to use this for my router then just using the 12VDC power supply and then plugging that into my UPS less energy conversion waste.
I do wonder how many amps this can supply though? I only got the back up as AT&T never wanted the UPS back (Gee I wonder why, oh I know they weigh to much + hazardous waste!)

unfortunately my original battery is long gone. this cyber power apc is probably 8 years old. the expertpower battery shipped, so I'll have to try the csb next time.

What model? Does it need a special harness like mine does?
Also I think no body makes a decent quality SLA battery these days same with flooded lead acid (car batteries) ones as well
I buy YUASA CSB Battery Universal Battery in order of preference make sure you read the ad thorough as it may say "Replaces CSB GP1272" but you get shipped some junk Casil Mighty Max Expert Power or some other low quality CRAP.

I do wonder how many amps this can supply though?
If it's like the Belkin units I've used the output is 12vdc 2.2 amps.

I like them. They're very useful for a 12vdc power supply with battery backup. They're great for SBC projects and all sorts of tinkering...

I've had my CSB's for at least 5 or 6 years now and they are still reading over 12V

atbatt.com

If it's like the Belkin units I've used the output is 12vdc 2.2 amps.
Yep the Rev B ones it has a 10A auto style fuse on one of the boards it is a normal plug in plastic cased auto fuse but it is SOLDERED to the board LoL!

Yep this my CyberPower PR750LCD had 2 UB1270 batteries in their pack they were just stuck together with some strong as an OX adhesive. I was lucky that they were still in the unit as it has a 60A maxi fuse between the batteries and a PowerPole (at least it looks like one) that goes to the UPS the two batteries are in series for 24VDC

I got 2 new CSB GP1272 for like $60 CyberPower's pack is like $90 or more!

Same here I have a few of the U-Verse backup UPS units those are neat just a 12VDC UPS and charger in one! Better to use this for my router then just using the 12VDC power supply and then plugging that into my UPS less energy conversion waste.
I do wonder how many amps this can supply though? I only got the back up as AT&T never wanted the UPS back (Gee I wonder why, oh I know they weigh to much + hazardous waste!)

What model? Does it need a special harness like mine does?
Also I think no body makes a decent quality SLA battery these days same with flooded lead acid (car batteries) ones as well
I buy YUASA CSB Battery Universal Battery in order of preference make sure you read the ad thorough as it may say "Replaces CSB GP1272" but you get shipped some junk Casil Mighty Max Expert Power or some other low quality CRAP.
CP1000AVRLCD, it uses batteries that have F2 terminals.

Random companies for the most part. The stock APC and Cyberpower batteries I've replaced have all be generic units with the OEM label slapped on it. I just get whatever's cheap and decently rated and swap them out every few years.
I have a 1000VA APC unit someone left in the hallway for trash at our old office. Batteries just needed to be changed and it's been going strong for 4 years.

That doesn't mean anything, you need to load test them. SLA batteries can show a normal voltage even when they're very, very bad.

A good working voltage of an average SLA battery is between 13.2-13.8v

Yep I had one of the older car jump starters with a 12V/18AH SLA it measured 12.9VDC but a small car dome light (9W not even a full amp!) dropped it to 11.2V! bad it would not even make the starter do the infamous click click click of a battery that is too weak to fully crank it! so it was dead!
I got my money's worth as the local parts store was giving $25 (at the time) for car batteries and the guy said well it is close enough, got that $25 and bought a new battery on Amazon the killer of SLA and even flooded ones is letting them sit as they self discharge and if left too long and they go below a certain point they are trash.

letting them sit as they self discharge and if left too long and they go below a certain point they are trash.

Letting batteries self discharge down to zero isn't necessarily going to ruin them. What really kills batteries is reverse charging them, which often happens in battery packs when the cells get imbalanced. One or more cells will discharge before the rest, and once they reach zero, the other cells start pushing current backwards through them, which is where they get damaged.

I've recovered SLA, NiMH and LiPO batteries that have self discharged from being stored too long, and they went on to work fine for a long time. You just have to be careful when bringing up the batteries and not smack full voltage and current rating across them, that will destroy them and possibly cause them to burn/explode. 100 mA charge current until the battery is back in its normally rated voltage range, then you can apply full charge current, usually between 500-1000 mAh.

I just buy whoever has the cheapest full capacity battery from Amazon. Checking rated capacity is important though if you go that route (ditto for anywhere else selling non-branded batteries), since ex the 1000/1300/1500VA APC units all use the same size battery pack but with different amp hour ratings. Unscrupulous resellers will list ones with the 1000VA Ah rating as compatible with the larger ones to try scamming you; they'll work but you'll have a shorter runtime as a result.

Letting batteries self discharge down to zero isn't necessarily going to ruin them. What really kills batteries is reverse charging them, which often happens in battery packs when the cells get imbalanced. One or more cells will discharge before the rest, and once they reach zero, the other cells start pushing current backwards through them, which is where they get damaged.

I've recovered SLA, NiMH and LiPO batteries that have self discharged from being stored too long, and they went on to work fine for a long time. You just have to be careful when bringing up the batteries and not smack full voltage and current rating across them, that will destroy them and possibly cause them to burn/explode. 100 mA charge current until the battery is back in its normally rated voltage range, then you can apply full charge current, usually between 500-1000 mAh.

I did this with SLA batteries before the U-Verse UPS was dead the SLA read 6.1V let it charge with my small charger on the 6V motorcycle setting (I'm surprised it actually let it charge damn "smart chargers") and then in the UPS itself

I just buy whoever has the cheapest full capacity battery from Amazon. Checking rated capacity is important though if you go that route (ditto for anywhere else selling non-branded batteries), since ex the 1000/1300/1500VA APC units all use the same size battery pack but with different amp hour ratings. Unscrupulous resellers will list ones with the 1000VA Ah rating as compatible with the larger ones to try scamming you; they'll work but you'll have a shorter runtime as a result.

My CyberPower PR750LCD uses 2 x 7.2AH SLA's in series for 24V I have seen batteries rated 10AH but they weigh less then the real small 5AH ones same size as a 10AH battery but not really capable of that 10AH rating!
Someone on YouTube (BigClive?) took one apart and it was just stuffed with filler materials and not battery "stuff"

PowerSonic and Yuasa are all I buy

but 3 years is a good run for a consumer type UPS... APCs usually 2 maybe 3 years max regardless of what you use

They're ideal for a 12vdc power source with a backup battery.
Yep and that is what I use them for although I never bought one (I got all of mine free) I see them at Goodwill all of the time but I would never buy one for $20 or whatever they want for them! I still need a spec sheet as to the maximum current output is on AC mode as well as battery mode (The Revision B units have a 10A ATC fuse that is soldered to the PCB) not exactly what it protects (DC output on AC mode or DC mode or both)

I do tech for others in the apartment complex so I get a lot of "Broken" (Usually needs a simple fix like windows re-installation or a new HDD/SSD) stuff for free.
And AT&T U-verse wants the customer to dispose of it as they are 2 costly to have them shipped back when the batteries or mostly dead.

I feel that the best value is now on Cyberpower UPSs
Price the add on modules though!
CyberPower wants close to $300 for the network card the APC cards can be had for as little as $45 used while the CyberPower card are at least $75 used.
I need the RMCARD205 for my PR750LCD I got the UPS for $45 on Craigslist back in 2017 so it was worth it I replaced both of the 12V/7.2AH batteries back in September of 2020 after the 5 day power outage killed them,

I bought a PR1500ELCD and it's a beast.
It can handle 600W for half an hour while gaming and the PC in idle for hours.

I feel that the best value is now on Cyberpower UPSs

The problem I have with Cyberpower is that if the battery dies, the unit doesn't work at all. At least with APC, the ports still work just without the battery backup while you source a new battery.

Maybe they fixed that though. It's been a couple years since I've used one.

The problem I have with Cyberpower is that if the battery dies, the unit doesn't work at all. At least with APC, the ports still work just without the battery backup while you source a new battery.

Now batteries are hot swappable so no problem with newer models.

I've had the 1500 model a few yrs and don't run into that issue. I was going to buy a new one but found they sell battery replacements for cheap so went that route and it's working fine. I'd highly recommend Cyberpower.

I've had the 1500 model a few yrs and don't run into that issue. I was going to buy a new one but found they sell battery replacements for cheap so went that route and it's working fine. I'd highly recommend Cyberpower.

I have the APC 1500 sine-wave version. I don't know that I'll be in the market again right away, but I'll keep it in mind (y).

Back