Upgrading processor for my Gigabyte AX370 motherboard

hwfkwr

Weaksauce
Hi All, I currently have a Ryzen 5 1600. I'm hoping for a processor upgrade and I am not really in the mood for upgrading the motherboard at the moment. What's the best upgrade I can do here? I don't really need the latest and greatest. Just something that makes sense. I am a little confused by compatibility. Thanks a lot for the help!

1. Need to update the BIOS

2. You probably want a 3600, 3600X, 3700X, 3800X, 3900X, 3950X, depending on the number of cores you need.

Thanks. That link is super helpful but I have Gaming 3 - I'm hoping the compatibility list is still the same. Good tip on the BIOS update. I'm gonna find a 3rd Gen Ryzen now. Super helpful.

Thanks. That link is super helpful but I have Gaming 3 - I'm hoping the compatibility list is still the same. Good tip on the BIOS update. I'm gonna find a 3rd Gen Ryzen now. Super helpful.
it is but the bios might not be. just change the 5 to a 3 in the link and also double check your revision #, since there may be several and that is rev 1.0.

Just want to say thanks to everyone on the post. The upgrade had a few hitches, but it went through successfully. I outlined below the issues if anyone runs into this thread:

- The BIOS upgrade instructions on gigabyte website are crap. But if you are using windows, this tool should work: https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/121/tech_a_bios.htm
- If you want to use the Efiflash.exe file you will need to boot into DOS. You can create bootable usb instructions by searching on google. But to actually boot using this motherboard you will need to select the "Force FDD" option in the BIOS for the usb device, otherwise selecting USB to boot just throws an error
- Your tools may say BIOS successfully flashed but you don't see it flashed when you reboot (or it may say flashing failed). The bios hasn't flashed. I actually had to clear CMOS, then do the flash, this time it succeeded.

3700X worked like a charm after flashing.

Back