Upgrading processor. does code name and socket type matter?

multi-tasking_guy

Limp Gawd
I need to upgrade my old CPU which has a socket of FCLGA1155 and it's a sandy bridge. The processor is Pentium Processor G640

Is that all i really need in order to upgrade? Will all FCLGA1155 socket types fit my motherboard? even if the code name doesn't match

I looked online and i found a Intel Core i5-3330 which the socket type FCLGA1155 but its not a sandy bridge. It's a Ivy bridge.

Does the code name matter?

what make/model of board is it? it its not an oem board, yeah probably.

Yes Ivy Bridge is compatible.
Now how far you want to go is up to your motherboard, P67, Z68, Z77 will all accept an i7 2600k or a i7 3770k.

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge share the same 1155 socket, but not all 1155 motherboards support Ivy Bridge. All 70-series chipset boards support Ivy Bridge but some 60-series boards only support Sandy Bridge. Best to check your motherboard/system compatiblity list

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge share the same 1155 socket, but not all 1155 motherboards support Ivy Bridge. All 70-series chipset boards support Ivy Bridge but some 60-series boards only support Sandy Bridge. Best to check your motherboard/system compatiblity list
Yeah your right, B65, Q65, Q67 have no Ivy support. But most consumer boards are H67 from what ive seen.

Even if the chip set supports it, the board needs to have suitable firmware. So you need to check out the information for your particular board and potentially install a "bios" update before installing the new chip.

I'm pretty sure I read Dell or HP etc. computers only have one BIOS version. If this was a pre-built machine it may still work but from what I know, usually it may be better if you could flash the motherboard BIOS to the latest version. Knowing which exact motherboard would clarify things a whole lot.

I'm pretty sure I read Dell or HP etc. computers only have one BIOS version. If this was a pre-built machine it may still work but from what I know, usually it may be better if you could flash the motherboard BIOS to the latest version. Knowing which exact motherboard would clarify things a whole lot.
prebuilts get fewer BIOS updates but the ones from the big manufacturers like HP & Dell do get them and sometimes they do add more processor compatibility. However it's also common for boards in these systems to have multiple hardware revisions and some support newer processors and some don't. If OP doesn't mind taking the risk, best way to be sure is to update to the latest BIOS and just try the chip and see what happens.

prebuilts get fewer BIOS updates but the ones from the big manufacturers like HP & Dell do get them and sometimes they do add more processor compatibility. However it's also common for boards in these systems to have multiple hardware revisions and some support newer processors and some don't. If OP doesn't mind taking the risk, best way to be sure is to update to the latest BIOS and just try the chip and see what happens.

That's true, but I took it to mean that a lot of their computers up and down the product stack with various CPUs, etc., share the same BIOS. It makes sense if it uses the same motherboard that this would be the case.

That's true, but I took it to mean that a lot of their computers up and down the product stack with various CPUs, etc., share the same BIOS. It makes sense if it uses the same motherboard that this would be the case.
that also makes sense.

Back