Upgrading from Logitech G7

Epos7

Gawd
I've been using a Logitech G7 since 2006, and it's been wonderful. I'm not a huge fan of the scroll wheel, but otherwise it's a fantastic mouse that is still going strong almost ten years later.

The batteries don't have the juice they once did, however, and in an effort to clean up my desk I'm looking to get a mouse without a charging station.

I only do a little gaming, and don't really appreciate the gaming aesthetic that seems to have permeated a lot of computer products. The G7 was a gaming mouse, but looks nothing like the monstrosities that are being sold as gaming mice these days.

What are my options? I've been looking at the Logitech marathon mouse, but reviewers find the mouse buttons fail after a year or two. The Lenovo N50 looks good as a basic option, but has nothing beyond left, right, and scroll.

I've been using a Logitech G7 since 2006, and it's been wonderful. I'm not a huge fan of the scroll wheel, but otherwise it's a fantastic mouse that is still going strong almost ten years later.

The batteries don't have the juice they once did, however, and in an effort to clean up my desk I'm looking to get a mouse without a charging station.

I only do a little gaming, and don't really appreciate the gaming aesthetic that seems to have permeated a lot of computer products. The G7 was a gaming mouse, but looks nothing like the monstrosities that are being sold as gaming mice these days.

What are my options? I've been looking at the Logitech marathon mouse, but reviewers find the mouse buttons fail after a year or two. The Lenovo N50 looks good as a basic option, but has nothing beyond left, right, and scroll.

I really like the G700s, I moved to it from a G7 a long time ago. Instead of the quick swap batteries it just uses a rechargeable AA and you can just plug it in to charge it. It lasts me about 12 hours per charge so I just plug it in overnight and it never runs out. You can use it plugged in if you need it to.

The G602 is also really good and the battery lasts a lot longer. I use the G700s over it because the G602 only has 500hz polling (versus 1000hz) and the scroll wheel can't switch modes to free scrolling.

As a former loyal G7 user, and now a G700S user, I second the above posters recommendation. It's a good mouse and should last you a long time.

I am a G700s user and love it, as well. It is a great replacement for my beloved MX510. My only real complaint is that the USB cord sits a little loose on the mouse when plugged in, so I need to tighten it up with a small folded piece of paper when charging it. It was $90 when I bought it brand new, but can be found now for around $50.

I am going to have to disagree with the opinions above that the G700s is a good replacement for a few reasons. Unlike the G7, the area on the right side of the G700s is narrow and has no room for your third finger, so it either hangs off the side or you have to grip the side of it with it. The wheel isn't nearly as good since it's free spinning. It also has a higher profile and is heavier than the G7.

Unfortunately I don't think Logitech makes a good replacement anymore. There definitely isn't a wireless one and the G400s, which is the wired mouse that closely resembles the G7 (MX518, G400), is no longer made.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I'll check out the G700s. It may be a little too far into the gaming aesthetic for my taste, but if it's a good mouse I'll take a look. I'm going to check out the MX Master as well, it's intriguing.

I have to say though it seems like there were more and better options in mice 8-10 years ago.

I too went from the G7 to the G700s. Contrary to variant's statement above, the wheel can be either free spinning or click (selected by the button below it). It took a little while to adjust to the different shape, probably because my hands are large and my ring finger is now off the side, but I am happy with the G700s.

I owned two G7s, and they both died on me after maybe two year. One was inside warranty, but they'd stopped making them, and they sent me a replace G700 instead. I've had it for years, and I absolutely hate it. I only keep using it, because nothing like the G7 has ever come out since, and I just have to use inferior products now.

The swapable battery meant literally zero down time. That's simply not a thing here. Instead, you have the cable that plugs into the mouse, which gives you all the downside of a wires mouse while it charges, but with heavy batteries inside, meaning the thing weighs a ton, too. Also, the charging cable is stiff and awful, so it's awful to use while charged if you're using to a wireless or even a regular corded mouse.

It's got an army of buttons by the thumb that I've never used more than one of in years, and settings to change all manner of things on top that I've never understood or used. In general, I hate the thing. I'd have bought a dozen G7s if I knew they'd stop making them, and replace them with nothing.

Back