upgrading from 3060 Ti to what? When?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
All this discussion about upgrading has me thinking that I should plan to upgrade my 3060 Ti "sometime soon." I'm a heavy user of Adobe Lightroom, and a lot of Lightroom's new features benefit from GPU acceleration. And I'm sure that Adobe will continue that way for at least another year, maybe more. And I'm also planning to get a new camera body "soon," so the size of my RAW (NEF actually) file is going to get a LOT bigger.

So, should I upgrade to a 4070 or even a 4080, or wait until the next generation of NVidia cards (5000 series?). Any good sources for news about those cards? If it matters I just upgraded my motherboard/CPU to an AMD x670E system, so I have PCIE-5 support.

How well does lightroom actually use high end video cards? My wife uses it, and as far as I've seen it doesn't really matter at all as long as you have a half decent one.

*edit* I did find this, which shows for exporting there's some performance to be gained, but the diminishing returns kicks in hard:
Lightroom-Classic-Export-JPEG-CPU-800x495.png

FWIW even Puget Systems say they don't do benchmarks for Lightroom anymore because it just really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
How well does lightroom actually use high end video cards? My wife uses it, and as far as I've seen it doesn't really matter at all as long as you have a half decent one.

*edit* I did find this, which shows for exporting there's some performance to be gained, but the diminishing returns kicks in hard:
View attachment 568930

FWIW even Puget Systems say they don't do benchmarks for Lightroom anymore because it just really doesn't matter.
A used 3080 or 3090 would be way cheaper than a 4080 and would be just as good for Lightroom - it should save a bit of time vs using the 3060 Ti.

View attachment 568930

That may be so, but one of the really good Lightroom forums has a long thread, now over 100 posts and still growing, showing that a faster GPS improves Lightroom with some recently released features. I already have a 3060 Ti, so I'm not upgrading.

That may be so, but one of the really good Lightroom forums has a long thread, now over 100 posts and still growing, showing that a faster GPS improves Lightroom with some recently released features. I already have a 3060 Ti, so I'm not upgrading.
I don't disagree that faster GPUs speed up certain things. It's just at some point it hits diminishing returns hard.

No doubt for Lightroom (and Photoshop) a 4090 is expensive overkill. But a 4070?
I couldn't even guess. For fun I should have my wife try lightroom on my PC and see how much faster it runs on my 6800xt vs her 6700xt.

If it increases AI performance with the new say denoise AI, then sure. But I wouldn't buy a new GPU to export faster.
If you're a gamer then go for something better, for example 4070/4070Ti or even 4080 if you got extra cash. Might be worth it looking into AMD alternatives if the price is lower. XTX is cheaper, faster than 4080 in raw performance but draws more power.

With that being said, I never had issues with editing on 3060 with A7r IV files, which are 61mpix and about 120mb in size (raw). That was last year when new AI additions didn't exist. Now I have 7900 XTX but also Fuji H2s which has only 24mpix images.

Back