Updates, do I need them all?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I usually install updates as they arrive without giving them any thought but the latest one has me questioning -

Screenshot from 2021-12-13 12-36-11.png

I don't have a modem attached to or installed in this box. If they're referring to a cable modem, it's attached to my PFSense box. Do I really need this and if not, how can I get it to go away?

TIA

If you have a 3G/4G hotspot, you need it for that. Otherwise, you don't need it. Unfortunately, I think it's a hard dependency in Ubuntu and derivatives, so the only way to remove it is to create a dummy package, break dependencies (which would break updates), or remove a lot of core packages and probably the desktop environment, too.

If you have a 3G/4G hotspot, you need it for that. Otherwise, you don't need it. Unfortunately, I think it's a hard dependency in Ubuntu and derivatives, so the only way to remove it is to create a dummy package, break dependencies (which would break updates), or remove a lot of core packages and probably the desktop environment, too.
He could check dependencies with apt & see if its worth removing. Sometimes the default installs have too much.

It can't really hurt to update it. At the end of the day, it's not like a buggy Realtek audio driver under Windows that you have absolutely no option but to install as you're running Windows 10 Home. ;)

You have it attached to the internal PCI? If not, you don't need any modem manager.

It's attached directly to the network. I have absolutely no use for wireless so it's only for the use of guests, family, etc.

Back