Understanding AMD mobo and nvme behavior for my new 5950x mobo

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hello!
So I am moving from the 9900k to the 5950x and pretty much decided on the Asus x570 Formula (because of the 8 data ports, more USB ports, LED screen, and 5Gb non realtek NIC). I was wondering, if there is any restrictions on NMVE sharing lanes like with current intel stuff where you start losing performance if using all NVME slots available things like that.
My other choice for mobo was the Hero and the MSI Prestige but in the end, the Formula won it for me.

Thanks

Last edited:
What does the Formula have over the Hero aside from the waterblocks?

No issues with lane sharing on NVME for all X570s. All of them will get 4 lanes of PCIE 4.0

Also, consider the Asus Dark Hero that is launching soon.

Hello!
So I am moving from the 9900k to the 5950x and pretty much decided on the Asus x570 Formula (because of the 8 data ports, more USB ports, LED screen, and 5Gb non realtek NIC). I was wondering, if there is any restrictions on NMVE sharing lanes like with current intel stuff where you start losing performance if using all NVME slots available things like that.
My other choice for mobo was the Hero and the MSI Prestige but in the end, the Formula won it for me.

Thanks

With x570 you get one dedicated x4 link for nvme drives. If you use the two extra nvme slots that will mean your gpu link will drop from x16 to x8. Those x8 lanes will then be free to be used for the nvme slots.

Regarding the boards, I'm with mda there. The Formula is way overpriced especially considering you can monoblock the lower CH boards as well as the Strix-E.

I already know what the formula and others give me and that is why I am choosing it. The only thing I was trying to understand was the lanes part in the AMD world.
Thanks

it depends on the motherboard manufacture but usually it's only the 2nd or 3rd m.2 slot(depending on board) that shares lanes with either 2 sata ports or the 4x slot. since asus doesn't actually list this in their guide i'm not sure specifically how they handle it on their boards, probably can search around and find the answer though.

I already know what the formula and others give me and that is why I am choosing it. The only thing I was trying to understand was the lanes part in the AMD world.
Thanks

The CPU has 4 lanes for m.2 NVME and any remaining drives go though the Chipset. The GPU gets 16 lanes if you have only one PCI-e slot filled, it drops to 8 if you fill two PCIe slots on most Motherboards, 8 for each card. On X570 chipset all m.2 slots are PCIe 4.0.

The CPU has 4 lanes for m.2 NVME and any remaining drives go though the Chipset. The GPU gets 16 lanes if you have only one PCI-e slot filled, it drops to 8 if you fill two PCIe slots on most Motherboards, 8 for each card. On X570 chipset all m.2 slots are PCIe 4.0.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I will be using only one rtx 3080 whenever I can get a hybrid one....so that is really good to know about all the lanes.

Back