Ultimage "USB" Hub

nekrosoft13

[H]ard|Gawd
Help me find "ultimate USB Hub" for desktop
I can find these thunderbolt docks, but those usually are designed for laptops, looking for something similar but for a desktop

I'm looking for the best USB HUB.

Few specs that I would like

USB4/Thunderbolt 40GBs
FEW USB-A
FEW USB-C
No ethernet
Card reader buld in would be nice
no Laptop charging passthrough...

The issue with these HUBs is they need to be powered, and USB power is bidirectional, so when even when you shut off the PC the power from the hub travels to the motherboard which causes all sorts of havoc.

most USB hubs need to be powered, and the ones that require no external power are good for very basic devices...

a normal powered USB hub is fine for desktop, what you want to avoid is docks or usb hubs that have PD passthrough to charge your laptop from the host cable

most USB hubs need to be powered, and the ones that require no external power are good for very basic devices...

a normal powered USB hub is fine for desktop, what you want to avoid is docks or usb hubs that have PD passthrough to charge your laptop from the host cable

Even regular USB hubs pass through power, not for charging but just because of the nature of USB. When you have a regular desktop PC with a powered USB2/3 hub, when you shut off the PC the LEDs on the mainboard will remain lit up, and all sorts of issues will arise. I've had powered USB hubs with several different PCs, and I gave up using them, they cause too many annoying issues, such as keyboards and USB devices not being detected by BIOS on powerup, etc.

Even regular USB hubs pass through power, not for charging but just because of the nature of USB. When you have a regular desktop PC with a powered USB2/3 hub, when you shut off the PC the LEDs on the mainboard will remain lit up, and all sorts of issues will arise. I've had powered USB hubs with several different PCs, and I gave up using them, they cause too many annoying issues, such as keyboards and USB devices not being detected by BIOS on powerup, etc.
not sure what hubs you use, but I never had the issues you are describing..

anyway, lets get on topic, and hopefully someone knows of a good "hub" that would fit my requirements.

here is example of what i'm looking at... well almost

https://www.razer.com/gaming-pc-accessories/Razer-Thunderbolt-4-Dock/RC21-01690200-R3U1

Looks good, but extra usb would be better then ethernet
Eww....Razzer0.... no way 'jose.... always low build quality/reliability and overpriced, over-hyped gabaggio IMHO

Anker, StarTech, & Belkin are 3 of the better hub brands, but there are literally 1000's of them available, but you're gonna have to cough up some serious moolah to get TB 4 on any of them, and unless your desktop has a native TB4 port, it would be a useless added expense anyways.....just an fyi :)

Reactions: uOpt
like this
from what I gathered the razer one is a clone... just not sure of what.

Razer, Kensigton, OWC and Sonnet (professional design stuff) have the same thunderbolt hub, not sure which one of the original and which ones are the clones.

Razer - $320
Kensigton - $360
OWC - $230
Sonnet - $210

from what I gathered the razer one is a clone... just not sure of what.

Razer, Kensigton, OWC and Sonnet (professional design stuff) have the same thunderbolt hub, not sure which one of the original and which ones are the clones.

Razer - $320
Kensigton - $360
OWC - $230
Sonnet - $210
Hahahahaha.... Razerrio's are usually cheap copies of clones of cheap copies of other cheap clonerz... just sayin

Back