UHD Blu-Ray Drives for PC?

That's the only one I am aware of. I was thinking of getting one, but the price is too high. Now I'm leaning towards xbox one s for 4k disc, since they will probably drop to 150 or less at black friday.

I'm not paying that much either. Especially with PowerDVD's quirkiness and it being the only playback option. I'd probably be more apt to go this route if I could use MPC-HC/madVR, but that's not going to be an option.
I have an Xbox One X incoming, but was hoping to nab a 2nd option on the PC for $50. If it's more than that, I'll just sit tight.

Does anyone know if HDR playback is in hardware or software? Would that linked drive + software be able to do HDR or are there no 4K /UHD HDR PC drives out yet?

I'm not paying that much either. Especially with PowerDVD's quirkiness and it being the only playback option. I'd probably be more apt to go this route if I could use MPC-HC/madVR, but that's not going to be an option.
I have an Xbox One X incoming, but was hoping to nab a 2nd option on the PC for $50. If it's more than that, I'll just sit tight.

Same, after the headache of dealing with PowerDVD for regular BR I decided to give up. I can't imagine how much of a pain it's going to be trying to play UHD. Xbox One S/X is the way to go.

Does anyone know if HDR playback is in hardware or software? Would that linked drive + software be able to do HDR or are there no 4K /UHD HDR PC drives out yet?

Just guessing, but I think that's software. PowerDVD 16 can play HDR content, including MKV's that have HDR. It doesn't do a great job (MPC-HC/madVR does much better) but it works.
On my system I have to reconfigure all of my video settings to make anything in PowerDVD look right, but it does work.

Frys seems to have a strangle on the new LG drives, but I just got one last week for a 1 day sale for $70.

Haven't tried any 4K stuff because there isn't any trust worthy encryption breaking stuff out yet. I just liked the price and one of the 7 year old LG bluray drives was acting up. It has an interesting design, harkens back to the DVD drives 10 years ago. I have 3 LG Bluray drives and they have some variation of a smooth surface on the face plate. This has the textured look. Very "retro".

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60

https://www.frys.com/product/9240599

front-PDP_Zoom_01.jpg

$70 isn't bad...at least if you already own PowerDVD. I just got an Xbox One X (and I'm holding off on Coffee Lake) so I'm not really in a hurry at this point. Still, that price is a good sign.

Also I do not have an Intel processor, so I guess I can't watch a 4K movie? Is that still a thing? I thought there was something about you must have the latest Intel processor to watch 4K because of the encryption or something (not a processing issue). Or was that only for people Intel setups?

$70 isn't bad...at least if you already own PowerDVD. I just got an Xbox One X (and I'm holding off on Coffee Lake) so I'm not really in a hurry at this point. Still, that price is a good sign.

Oh, this would be totally for ripping and transferring over to server. No intentions of watching on the PC.

Also I do not have an Intel processor, so I guess I can't watch a 4K movie? Is that still a thing? I thought there was something about you must have the latest Intel processor to watch 4K because of the encryption or something (not a processing issue). Or was that only for people Intel setups?

It's supposed to still be in place. Nvidia claims that their cards can handle it by themselves (as shown by Netflix 4K/HDR), but I believe MS is/was holding it up. Could be Cyberlink, too.
Then again, the whole concept of 4K Blu-Ray on the PC is such an odd mystery, this might not even be the case anymore. When you look up the how's and why's of it, Google pulls up a whole lot of misinformation, speculation, and nothing.

Back