ubiquiti dream machine, need more range for outdoors

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

I have been trying to look into this but it seems like most of Ubiquiti's marketting team is run by a bunch of network architecture engineering people, so it's hard to find answers to my specific questions. Everything is very technical but doesn't really say want each product really does. I am looking at a nanoHD, but can't really figure out if this will plug into a regular wall outlet, connect to my dream machine, and extend the range, or if it requires a PoE hookup, which I do not have.

Basically the dream machine covers the entire house with wifi, but the yard, and driveway are dead zones where I have to constantly move between mobile network and home wifi. I'd like to fix this. I believe putting a range extender in the front area of the house will fix this, but wasn't sure if it made more sense to just get something I can put outside. I have a covered porch so it could go there instead of say, on a roof. Thoughts?

I have been trying to look into this but it seems like most of Ubiquiti's marketting team is run by a bunch of network architecture engineering people, so it's hard to find answers to my specific questions. Everything is very technical but doesn't really say want each product really does. I am looking at a nanoHD, but can't really figure out if this will plug into a regular wall outlet, connect to my dream machine, and extend the range, or if it requires a PoE hookup, which I do not have.

Basically the dream machine covers the entire house with wifi, but the yard, and driveway are dead zones where I have to constantly move between mobile network and home wifi. I'd like to fix this. I believe putting a range extender in the front area of the house will fix this, but wasn't sure if it made more sense to just get something I can put outside. I have a covered porch so it could go there instead of say, on a roof. Thoughts?
The nanoHD needs PoE power, so you will have to do something to provide that, whether that is an injector, or a PoE switch. The Dream Machine does not have a PoE port, so it can't do it by itself. But once you have a PoE injector, you just connect the injector to a wall outlet, and add the line from your DM and out to your nanoHD, and you are all good.

The single nanoHD from store.ui.com comes with a PoE injector. See last bullet point in 'Features'.