Two internet connections...

marshac

American Hero
I've got Google Fiber (Gb) and Comcast (250Mb) and would like to figure out a way to have failover from the Google to Comcast connection- unfortunately neither connection allows for a bridge mode, and I certainly don't want to get into a double-nat situation. Any ideas?

A ubiquiti edge router lite can do that. It also has the oomph to handle all of those packets. Also I know comcast can be put into bridge mode.

Comcast will do it, but the crappy Cisco modem they provided reboots every 5min when it's in that mode. Super lame.

Is this a business or personal? If business, you should have some more flexibility on carrier hardware.

If personal, is Google really that unreliable that you need a failover?

Is this a business or personal? If business, you should have some more flexibility on carrier hardware.

If personal, is Google really that unreliable that you need a failover?

I'm sure Google will be pretty solid- it's just that we're paying Comcast for the TV service and pretty much get the internet for free- in fact, it would cost MORE to ditch the internet and just have TV service. Go figure.

Anyways, the modem itself is this-

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC3939.html

It sucks, or probably more likely, Comcast made it suck.

You have to call comcast to get the dpc3939 put in bridge mode. You have to tell them to disable wireless and enable bridge mode at the same time. When bridge mode is enabled only port 1 will work.

So sounds like you need to get a managed switch as those directions for using your own rohter with google fiber state, an edgerouter lite, and a unifi wap.

I really wish comcast would up speeds where I am, the just recently started offering 105mbit around here even though their docsis 3.0 upgrade has been done for 2.5 yrs. You can't even get 50mbit around here either. Blast is 30/5 still. Only other option is uverse up to 45mbit. Got to love having no compition huh?

The UBNT Edgerouter lite is awesome to config if you like CLI. The policy routing is pretty neat too. Unfortunately with 2 lines & Policy routing, I can't get full speed from my 2nd cable modem (I have a 60 down & 120 down...) On the 120 down, I can only get about 75mbit/s max. I'm running an alpha firmware as I need ipv6-pd -- so perhaps that may be the case.

Overall it still solves an issue I have (Using 2 internet lines in a non-failover capability) so for $99 you can't beat it.

A lot of functionality is available via CLI only, however.

Back