Two great power supply deals at Newegg (Super Flower 1300 & EVGA 1000)

I ordered the EVGA 1000 watt yesterday, as the Super Flower 1300 wasn't on sale. Now it is. I still have time to cancel the EVGA and go with the Super Flower. I run a 10850k and 3090, and will likely go 4090 when it launches. I highly doubt the 1300 will make a difference, but just knowing I have that headroom would feel good. On the other hand, I've had superb customer service with EVGA so there's always that.

I believe there were articles stating the 4000 series were to consume more power, rumor of course, but I doubt it wouldn't be true considering the competition between Nvidia/AMD atm. Expect them to push the edge as much as possible to have the winner. Also with the 600w pull with the new single power connector design, I don't think canceling and ordering the other would be a bad idea.

I believe there were articles stating the 4000 series were to consume more power, rumor of course, but I doubt it wouldn't be true considering the competition between Nvidia/AMD atm. Expect them to push the edge as much as possible to have the winner. Also with the 600w pull with the new single power connector design, I don't think canceling and ordering the other would be a bad idea.
Even if it consumed 200w more you would still be perfectly fine with the 1000w PSU.

Even if it consumed 200w more you would still be perfectly fine with the 1000w PSU.
Very true, but you would be pushing the unit harder. Let's say the 4080 or 4090 does pull 600w. Which isn't unlikely, as my 3090 strix pulls 400w (390 to be exact). That's without OC'ing...Heck, my 3080 amp holo does around 300'ish.

So let's say it's 600w. Plus a CPU, 12900k, around 240w, my 5950x does 120 without PBO and oc'ing. We'll take the intel cpu. that's 850'ish, plus your board/chipset, devices, you are pushing above 900 at that point full load. Not sure about you guys, but I prefer not pushing my PSU to the edge of it's limits, last longer that way. So the larger psu would probably be the smarter option if you are going cutting edge on all fronts.

Yeah people with 1x gpu are really going overboard on these PSUs.

I would agree with you. But honestly, more so before Ampere and RDNA 2 hit. I've built plenty of budget based gaming machines.. The amount of times I would advise clients/friends on rigs, and seeing they selected a monster of a psu for a 2070 and with a appropriate CPU made me laugh. But the power consumption on the current cards is getting up there....Well, at least on the enthusiast GPU side....Plus anything Intel cpu wise lately =P.

Very true, but you would be pushing the unit harder. Let's say the 4080 or 4090 does pull 600w. Which isn't unlikely, as my 3090 strix pulls 400w (390 to be exact). That's without OC'ing...Heck, my 3080 amp holo does around 300'ish.

So let's say it's 600w. Plus a CPU, 12900k, around 240w, my 5950x does 120 without PBO and oc'ing. We'll take the intel cpu. that's 850'ish, plus your board/chipset, devices, you are pushing above 900 at that point full load. Not sure about you guys, but I prefer not pushing my PSU to the edge of it's limits, last longer that way. So the larger psu would probably be the smarter option if you are going cutting edge on all fronts.
900w on a high quality 1000w PSU is not pushing it to the cutting edge. I honestly not expecting computers to demand a absurd amount more power then current PC in the near future. Eco regulations are getting more and more strict.

900w on a high quality 1000w PSU is not pushing it to the cutting edge. I honestly not expecting computers to demand a absurd amount more power then current PC in the near future. Eco regulations are getting more and more strict.
How is that not the edge? You are pushing the psu to the near limit of it's capabilities. That is in definition, the edge. Unless you can magically pull 1300w on a 1000w psu continuously, that would be defined to as the edge. Don't get me wrong, a high quality PSU will give you cleaner output, better stability on the rails, and higher quality components for longevity. But not running the PSU at it's absolute max, will in turn allow the PSU to last longer due to less heat/stress...That's a fact....Something I consider every time I buy a power supply. I always overshoot to ensure the PSU is not being stressed to it's capabilities and pushed to it's edge continuously, hence my 1200w Seasonic platinum. I mine on my 3090 at all times when I'm not doing anything gpu intensive, and rendering in maya as well. So pushing roughly 700W with my 5950x at 100% load.

My existing 1,200w gold PSU is about a decade old, so I'll give the Super Flower a try. I originally bought the then whopping 1,200 for heavily overclocked and over-volted, water-cooled tri-fire purposes; been a while since I've done that, but these newer GPUs seem to have a similar power total power consumption as two or three GPU's from back then...

I had the EVGA 1300 G+ in my cart to buy. I figured I would look at the online deals before buying. Glad I did. I picked the Super flower instead.

I ran a Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 watt PSU for days, perhaps a week at 1250 watts on accident while mining because my undervolt settings reset and I didn’t know it. It worked perfectly. This was in 2017 IIRC. The power supply mined for years thereafter at 80-90% load 24/7 and I only sold it in 2020 to a buddy when mining profits went down and I sold all my mining gear. It still works fine today. I should have kept it because I started mining again in 2021, though now I use HP server PSUs.

Johnny Guru PC tested that PSU in the 50*C hotbox at 100% load and it worked perfectly.
for hours. The good PSUs have a tolerance on them, that will go slightly above rating, and work indefinitely at their max loads. That is what they are rated for after all!
I don’t think you need to worry about the 90% on gaming occasion being a problem Ikasu with either of these PSUs. This from my 4 years of experience using well over a dozen PSUs at 80-95% load intentionally 24/7 while crypto mining. Only the cheap PSUs have trouble with this.

Last edited:
Also in for one on the SuperFlower. That is a very good and well reviewed PS. 10 year warranty. Thanks OP!

Back