Trying to share a drive

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Linux Mint Cinnamon to Linux Mint Cinnamon. Both latest version and both up to date. I'm getting a message that says :"Permissions on this share do not allow others to access it". Nothing I do in the Permissions tab has any affect. The shared drive shows up on the other computer but I cannot connect to it using the user name and password.

The DRIVE I'm trying to share is not the boot drive, it's an additional drive.

Any help appreciated. :(

Linux Mint Cinnamon to Linux Mint Cinnamon. Both latest version and both up to date. I'm getting a message that says :"Permissions on this share do not allow others to access it". Nothing I do in the Permissions tab has any affect. The shared drive shows up on the other computer but I cannot connect to it using the user name and password.

The DRIVE I'm trying to share is not the boot drive, it's an additional drive.

Any help appreciated. :(
What are the folder permissions? Unless it has world read/write or (group read/write and in the correct group) other users cannot access the data even if the folder is shared.

Also helps to know how you are sharing (samba/smb, or some other protocol?).

What are the folder permissions? Unless it has world read/write or (group read/write and in the correct group) other users cannot access the data even if the folder is shared.

Also helps to know how you are sharing (samba/smb, or some other protocol?).

I want to share the entire drive, not just a folder. Using Samba/SMB. All set to read/write in the permissions tab.

Thanks

Thanks, will try and report back. I did notice that, according to Angry IP Scanner, there are no ports open on the box in question. It say [N/A], I guess that could mean something else.

Thanks, will try and report back. I did notice that, according to Angry IP Scanner, there are no ports open on the box in question. It say [N/A], I guess that could mean something else.
The smb port should be opened by systemd when the service is run, I think. It may not be shown if it's in the lower (reserved) port range? I'm not familiar with Angry IP Scanner.

Back