TRX40 owners and in particular Gigabyte

Does your bios reset, or change in anyway?

• Reset at hot boot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tived

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys and Gals, - Esteemed and somewhat at times unlucky owners of TRX40 motherboards

Have you had any or other issues with your motherboard bios see the poll!
<if you think there should be other options please let me know>

I have had some issues, where the bios resets, where the bios have jump versions e.g. upgrade from F2 to F3 to F4i, it then jumps back to F2, or F3

I have had a look around on different forums and there seem to be a consensus that the TRX40 bios's tend to reset themselves quite often? why is that.

Lastly have you got a solution?

thank you for your time - this isn't a witch-hunt but a try to find a solution and hopefully the manufactures or AMD will come to our aid

Henrik

Gigabyte Designare TRX40 rev. 1.0

I have the same board which I bought used on this forum. I'm on f4q. No issues with it downgrading as far as I know, but I have noticed bios bugs. I've had the bios interface be in slow motion and be sluggish after making changes. Plenty of weirdness in the fan control program built into bios. But as far as actual system settings, it seems to take what I input and hold it. The sluggishness I fixed by clearing cmos and setting my settings again. You might want to try clearing cmos before flashing, or try using the bios flashback function.

Reactions: tived
like this
I have a B450 Aorus Elite that does a lot of the things you talked about.

The BIOS version thing you mentioned is happening because the board has two BIOS chips. When you updated one, it didn't update the other, so when it switches to that second BIOS chip (for unknowable reasons), it's back to the old version. I haven't ever figured out a way to force it to use one chip or the other, but my board does that too.

It will also sometimes take four or five POST cycles before it actually boots, and about 20% of the time, when it does this, it also resets all the BIOS settings, including the use of XMP and the hardware virtualization support. I always have to google how to turn virtualization back on.

None of this happens to me often enough to really get upset about, but that just means I'm lazy, and not that it's OK that it does this.

Edit: I've always suspected that I may just have a weak memory controller, or that my memory may not be 100% stable with my CPU at the XMP settings, but it never crashes while it's running. Only at cold boot.

I have the same board which I bought used on this forum. I'm on f4q. No issues with it downgrading as far as I know, but I have noticed bios bugs. I've had the bios interface be in slow motion and be sluggish after making changes. Plenty of weirdness in the fan control program built into bios. But as far as actual system settings, it seems to take what I input and hold it. The sluggishness I fixed by clearing cmos and setting my settings again. You might want to try clearing cmos before flashing, or try using the bios flashback function.

thanks 🙏 I am curious if there are other people with similar issues or if what I am experiencing is an isolated incident.

thanks for taking the time

happy 4th July

I have a B450 Aorus Elite that does a lot of the things you talked about.

The BIOS version thing you mentioned is happening because the board has two BIOS chips. When you updated one, it didn't update the other, so when it switches to that second BIOS chip (for unknowable reasons), it's back to the old version. I haven't ever figured out a way to force it to use one chip or the other, but my board does that too.

It will also sometimes take four or five POST cycles before it actually boots, and about 20% of the time, when it does this, it also resets all the BIOS settings, including the use of XMP and the hardware virtualization support. I always have to google how to turn virtualization back on.

None of this happens to me often enough to really get upset about, but that just means I'm lazy, and not that it's OK that it does this.

Edit: I've always suspected that I may just have a weak memory controller, or that my memory may not be 100% stable with my CPU at the XMP settings, but it never crashes while it's running. Only at cold boot.
Thanks that is very interesting

I have been looking if I can select one or the other bios but so far no luck.

maybe as I have a steady bios. I update both and then go one step forward, one bios update at the time.

yes I am using the XMP too

maybe it is the battery?

thanks for your reply it’s been very valuable, hopefully together here we can find a solution

happy 4th July

Yeah, as RazorWind said, it's switching to the backup bios for whatever reason. Could be an issue with power delivery to the memory or processor, or faulty memory/processor, or could be corrupt bios/cmos.

I'm pretty disappointed in the last gb board I got, and until they get their bios issues figured out I'm not planning on getting another. If they had a physical bios switch or at least a button to manually switch to the backup bios that'd be one thing, but absent that, their bios recovery mode is unhelpful at best, and far from obvious. If both BIOS get a bad configuration then it'll just keep switching between the two and never recover, useless.

like this
TRX40 Aorus Master. Has BIOS reset seemingly randomly once about six months into ownership. Did not pay attention to what version it may have reverted to. But was a PITA since it reset all my fancurves and lost the memory OC settings.

I plan on moving the fan curves to a Aquacomputer Quadro and I will hand write memory settings next time I dial them in. Not frequent enough to dig in, but definitely annoying.

like this
TRX40 Aorus Master. Has BIOS reset seemingly randomly once about six months into ownership. Did not pay attention to what version it may have reverted to. But was a PITA since it reset all my fancurves and lost the memory OC settings.

I plan on moving the fan curves to a Aquacomputer Quadro and I will hand write memory settings next time I dial them in. Not frequent enough to dig in, but definitely annoying.
Gigabyte dual bios likes to switch to backup bios automagically, that may be what happened to you. I have my x570 xtreme set to single bios mode but I'm not sure if your board has that.

as a owner of a trx40 aorus master i can 100% state that what is happening to the op is the dual bios. you need to flip the bios switches and turn them off aouto or it will flip randomly. read teh book if you cant find them

like this
If your board doesn't have a BIOS switch, it will automatically fall back to the backup BIOS everytime it detects something wonky.

My suggestion would be to find some way to flash both BIOSes with the updated version to at least get BIOS versions aligned.

I've noticed that the BIOS gets very laggy with regards to keyboard and mouse input when the system isn't stable.... got this a lot when I was playing with my RAM speed with a Gigabyte X470.

One thing though, the fact that it's jumping BIOS versions means it doesn't like some of your settings -- most likely the RAM. Maybe you'd need to up the RAM voltage or the SOC voltage on your CPU.

Last edited:
like this
Thanks everyone

great feedback - I’ll have to look at this a bit further over the weekend. where I can take my time.

Will check for the bios switch, but don’t recall one at first glance.
The problem with flashing both bios, is if the bios isn’t stable, which was also pointed out above.

maybe I just to step it back to the last known safe bios and leave it at that, I am not exactly trying out for the Olympics 😉

thank you all

really appreciate you taking the time to reply

Henrik

My only current issue is that it won't shut off (power off) - stays in a weird half-way state till you kill main power (I switch off the UPS). Windows thinks it shut down cleanly, but ACPI didn't work.

like this
well, I haven't been using my workstation since the weekend, then I started this thread. Tonight (Australian Eastern Time) it boots with the latest beta bios F4q - go figure!

Back