TrueNAS access denied

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
TrueNAS sucks. What a steaming pile of garbage. It's a NAS OS that supposed to allow access to data stored on it but it does nothing of the sort. "ACCESS DENIED" Is all I get when I try to copy files to the share. Absolutely nothing I do gets me anything but "ACCESS DENIED". Why is sharing disabled on an OS meant for sharing? Why is sharing so convoluted and cryptic?

I ran across a thread on the TrueNAS forum where someone else fought this problem. All he got was 3 pages of gibberish command lines to "try" and no definitive answers. In the end he gave up. And so have I. No wonder Microsoft is so successful, they understand that people want to use software, not fight it. This particular server is going back to Windows Server, I'm done.

PS: Just like to add I have another server running FREENAS and I had zero problems getting sharing going. It just worked.

/rantoff/

OpenMediaVault works pretty well but even then I have weirdness with the permissions for an external drive (internal drives are fine). I've been fighting with that recently myself & have pondered switching back over to Server 2022 for pure file sharing & backups.

OpenMediaVault works pretty well but even then I have weirdness with the permissions for an external drive (internal drives are fine). I've been fighting with that recently myself & have pondered switching back over to Server 2022 for pure file sharing & backups.

Yea, I just went back to Server 2012 R2. File sharing is the Achilles Heal of all things non Windows. Don't really understand why the code monkeys can't see the importance of this.

Yea, I just went back to Server 2012 R2. File sharing is the Achilles Heal of all things non Windows. Don't really understand why the code monkeys can't see the importance of this.
My Synology NAS works amazing with SMB. Weird how the "free" NAS distros have issues.

Thing of it is, it really isn't. I just run vanilla Ubuntu with ZFS. Couple of commands and everything was setup and working for Windows and Linux desktops/laptops.
I didn't know about TrueNAS before this thread. I played with FreeNAS ages ago and outside of a webUI, it really didn't provide anything useful. TrueNAS appears the same from the bit I just skimmed, but I don't have time to read docs on it.

Thing of it is, it really isn't. I just run vanilla Ubuntu with ZFS. Couple of commands and everything was setup and working for Windows and Linux desktops/laptops.
I didn't know about TrueNAS before this thread. I played with FreeNAS ages ago and outside of a webUI, it really didn't provide anything useful. TrueNAS appears the same from the bit I just skimmed, but I don't have time to read docs on it.

The main appeal of FreeNAS and TrueNAS is ZFS. Not really sure if bit rot is something worth worrying about but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Been using FreeNAS for years. Few issues really. Forum useful to help fix them. No show stopper. ZFS is a big plus with the right hardware. I also run jails with urbackup, minidlna, plex and qbittorent. Love it.

If your issue has to to with SMB, forum member / staff Anodos is of great value.

The main appeal of FreeNAS and TrueNAS is ZFS. Not really sure if bit rot is something worth worrying about but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
You can just install ZFS on base Ubuntu (and other distos). It's what I've been doing for ~8 years.

You can just install ZFS on base Ubuntu (and other distos). It's what I've been doing for ~8 years.
Or give TrueNAS SCALE a go, is FreeNAS port to Linux with the addition of Linux Containers, VMs (KVM), you can also run docker and port your ZFS pools from FreeNAS (or TrueNAS) to SCALE. As for the OP problem sounds like SMB wasn't set up right, or SMB service is broken I had this happen a few times over the years with my FreeNAS server.

As for the OP problem sounds like SMB wasn't set up right, or SMB service is broken I had this happen a few times over the years with my FreeNAS server.

I was thinking possibly a SMB version issue? SMB1 is disabled by default, and maybe the client is only using that for some odd reason? Could also be the server's NTMLv1 auth setting. May also be a difference in some aux parameters set up for the server.

I just installed TrueNAS for the first time last night and had an issue getting windows to accept my credentials to access my NAS.

As a temporary fix I just allowed guest access for those shares and windows recognized it no issues. I just followed the install/setup tutorial on the tureNAS site. Might work for you?

I also created datasets for each drive which specified SMB for sharing.

I was thinking possibly a SMB version issue? SMB1 is disabled by default, and maybe the client is only using that for some odd reason? Could also be the server's NTMLv1 auth setting. May also be a difference in some aux parameters set up for the server.
Could be SMB1 but didn't Microsoft turn that off eons ago by default via a security patch? I actually think the problem is with dataset folder permissions (group ID, user ID), the account he created to access the SMB shares doesn't have the correct group/user rights that's why he is getting denied access.

Or give TrueNAS SCALE a go, is FreeNAS port to Linux with the addition of Linux Containers, VMs (KVM), you can also run docker and port your ZFS pools from FreeNAS (or TrueNAS) to SCALE. As for the OP problem sounds like SMB wasn't set up right, or SMB service is broken I had this happen a few times over the years with my FreeNAS server.
Why would I add an overlay when I have all of that just natively in the OS? ZFS + Docker-ce + Docker-compose + qemu. Literally about 10 commands to get it all up and running natively on Ubuntu, and no added resource consumption from a heavy overlay/management layer.

Your file sharing in Windows works because Microsoft doesn't give a rats ass about security and compatibility. Your problems may have been related to using Windows smb protocol with the TrueNAS.

Could be SMB1 but didn't Microsoft turn that off eons ago by default via a security patch? I actually think the problem is with dataset folder permissions (group ID, user ID), the account he created to access the SMB shares doesn't have the correct group/user rights that's why he is getting denied access.
SMBv1 was turned off as insecure but many legacy connectors still default to it, which causes problems obviously. It's fixable with a single line in the configuration but Windows users can't figure it out because there's no GUI window anywhere with a button: "Disable SMBv1".

edit: Even that button wouldn't help though as they don't understand what makes the computer work behind the screen anyway.

Why would I add an overlay when I have all of that just natively in the OS? ZFS + Docker-ce + Docker-compose + qemu. Literally about 10 commands to get it all up and running natively on Ubuntu, and no added resource consumption from a heavy overlay/management layer.
Docker has the advantage of containerising your code. Your main OS remains clean regardless of what you install on it.

But as I said, I also have a FreeNAS box that I had no problem getting networking to work. Something is different in TrueNAS. :(

It could be something as simple as 'root' user when trying to access a SMB share. User root is not allowed on SMB shares...

I googled a little and it seems TrueNAS might have a bug in the latest update. Some people had to rebuild their file database in order to restore access.

Back