Traveling(flying) with Mini-ITX system

ratedm

Limp Gawd
Do any of you guys travel with your mini-itx gaming systems? I travel a lot for work and all of my flights are TSA pre-checked. Do they consider a SFF gaming computer like a laptop? I just don't have the need to spend over a grand on a laptop to play games on while I am traveling for work when I can take a SFF mini-itx system with me. Looking for some experience on this topic.

This is interesting. I haven't done it myself but searching around on Google it doesn't seem to be a problem. Apparently they'll expect you to take it out and put it in the tray for an X-ray like a laptop or console. Though you have TSA-pre check status, since it's not a laptop, I expect they'll have you run it through the machine, still.

This is interesting. I haven't done it myself but searching around on Google it doesn't seem to be a problem. Apparently they'll expect you to take it out and put it in the tray for an X-ray like a laptop or console. Though you have TSA-pre check status, since it's not a laptop, I expect they'll have you run it through the machine, still.

You will have to place it on the conveyer system like you do a laptop, and you might have to open the side of the case I think as well, but beyond that, I don't think they will require anything else........

What about keyboard and mouse? Do you use Hotel HDTVs for a monitor? I would think a laptop would be far better, but thats me.

What about keyboard and mouse? Do you use Hotel HDTVs for a monitor? I would think a laptop would be far better, but thats me.

I have a nice keyboard and mouse that I travel with now. I plan to get a longer hdmi cable and use the TV as a monitor.

Yes a laptop would be easier but I never use a laptop at home. I have no interest in spending $1500 on a laptop that I will only use while traveling. I guess it takes rocket appliances to see how easy it is to convert my desktop into something I can travel back and forth with.

if you do fly with this let us know how it worked out for you.

I've been held up before for having a wired game controller in my carry on bag so I am curious to how this works out. Some people doing the inspections are rather derp prone and see a couple wires and buttons and think the worst it seems from my experience.

if you do fly with this let us know how it worked out for you.

I've been held up before for having a wired game controller in my carry on bag so I am curious to how this works out. Some people doing the inspections are rather derp prone and see a couple wires and buttons and think the worst it seems from my experience.

I will let you know within the next couple months. All of my travels between now and the end of August are long car drives. The end of August I will be flying. I just finished getting my hardware together for my system tonight. Testing some things and planning to tidy up the cable management tomorrow. Fitting full size parts in these cases is no joke, the wife was not happy with my dialect nor liquid consumption. Here's a pic prior to cable management:

i-tJf96KX-L.jpg

I couldn't find a z77 mini-itx board I wanted at a decent price so I just went ahead and bought a z97 gigabyte board and a 4690K.

I've traveled with one of these a handful of times. Other than the general confused looks of it being that small it tends to not be any different than a laptop for getting through.

If it was me I'd devote a carry-on bag to it. I'm building one right now, but its in an NCASE M1, so it's tiny.

Back