Transferring W11 to new PC

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
As title says I am attempting to transfer W11 Pro license to new PC. I obtained Windows 11 from a retail Version of 8.1 > 10 > 11.

I followed the steps here:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-windows-10-license-new-computer-or-hard-drive

I received the messages:
"Uninstalled product key successfully"

But when I check my Windows Activation on my old system, it still says 'Active', and under that says something about windows is activated with a digital license to your Microsoft Account.

Does that mean my new PC will not be able to activate using my product key from the old machine?

I am about to try now.

As title says I am attempting to transfer W11 Pro license to new PC. I obtained Windows 11 from a retail Version of 8.1 > 10 > 11.

I followed the steps here:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-windows-10-license-new-computer-or-hard-drive

I received the messages:
"Uninstalled product key successfully"

But when I check my Windows Activation on my old system, it still says 'Active', and under that says something about windows is activated with a digital license to your Microsoft Account.

Does that mean my new PC will not be able to activate using my product key from the old machine?

I am about to try now.
if it doesnt you should be able to reassign it in your account settings online. assuming its a retail key, not oem.

Ok, using the key I obtained with cmd promts or powershell did not let me activate windows11 using the methods in guides above.

I used the key I originally had way back, found on my cd cover when I bought W8.1 many years ago.

So it still let me activate W11 with it.

Ok, using the key I obtained with cmd promts or powershell did not let me activate windows11 using the methods in guides above.

I used the key I originally had way back, found on my cd cover when I bought W8.1 many years ago.

So it still let me activate W11 with it.
that works and i know why it was rejected. when you use a 7/8 key to install 10/11 it takes the key and then it get converted to a new "universal key" that can be used as a normal install key. if you do that key pull thing again now, it will be different than the 8 key you fed it.

slmgr /upk doesn't deactivate your OS or remove it from Microsoft's activation services, it just removes the product key. If the hardware changed enough to justify a reactivation, it would fail.

For anyone coming in late to this thread, you can clean install 11 and type in a Windows 10 key during installation. I am assuming you can also use a 7 or 8 key as well.

Back