TPUP: Apple Finally Buying AMD CPUs? Pointers to Ryzens Found in MacOS Beta

Even if this never pans out, just the mere possibility that Apple could switch to AMD CPUs could give them some significant leverage in negotiating with Intel. It's not that far-fetched, and certainly would be less trouble than switching to ARM.

More likely, Apple may be considering adding AMD-based systems to their line-up. Since Apple doesn't like to publish anything but the most basic specifications in their easy-to-access materials, I doubt most Macbook buyers would notice.

Very good news for AMD. Very good news for consumers as Intel my finally have no choice but to lower prices.

I could see this happening for their workstations as that is what is being asked for, so I would not be surprised by a lineup of Threadripper systems but I doubt that I will be seeing any AMD CPU's in their more consumer lineup any time soon, I just don't think AMD can meet that level of demand.

It would be a slam dunk for their Mac Pros. We sell a ton of them in the business environments for creators.
They kind of have too, unless Intel starts giving Apple an 80% discount on their Xeons to make them competitive in this space.

I doubt it will shake the world. The majority of Apple consumers don't care what hardware is inside just the logo on the outside.

I doubt it will shake the world. The majority of Apple consumers don't care what hardware is inside just the logo on the outside.
The only group of people that would care would be people who buy Mac Pros. And I doubt they would see much of an issue since Epyc is really well received with those people. Ask people who have Macbook Pro's what model of CPU is in their laptop and I'd put money down that at least 90% of them wouldn't know anything besides "intel" and "i5 or i7".

Back