Toughbook CF-33 problems

Phantoms

Limp Gawd
I have a toughbook 33 that I use at work. It is running Windows 11.

Lately, my pen and touchpad will stop working at the same time and the only to fix it is a reboot. If it was just one or the other I'd have a clear idea of the problem, but these are basically two different interfaces. The touchpad on it is like a mouse, while the touchscreen works with the pen or a finger. When I have the problem both of these stop working at the same time (pen and touchpad). I can still use the keyboard if it's attached to tab around, etc., but in my line of work I really need that touchpad and/or pen to be working.

Anybody have any ideas?

try rolling back the drivers or updating them. is this a personal or work owned system? if work, have you talked to IT?

try rolling back the drivers or updating them. is this a personal or work owned system? if work, have you talked to IT?
It's a personal unit used for work (auto technician). It has barely any programs on it except what's needed for work and that's all it gets used for.

It's a personal unit used for work (auto technician). It has barely any programs on it except what's needed for work and that's all it gets used for.
thats the right way to do it.
ive ran into windows update installing new drivers and borking the touchpads on several different units. rolling back in device manager or updating to the oems newest always fixed it. try that.
and being in the hand of an auto-tech, maybe blow it out/give it a clean. shops are dirty...

Try and keep it clean and put up- when not in use. I did find when it happens I'm getting a USB device undetected error in Device Manager (even with no usb plugged in). I caught it last time it did it and disabled that item and it seems to be working ok since. But it's not every time as it was. It's hit or miss and I'm sure it started not long after a Windows 11 update. I've went through all the USB items in Device Manager and none of them have the option of rolling back drivers.

Which oems software requires/runs on Win11? All my programming/diagnostic programs say no support for 11 yet not that I want to reinstall/setup all that crap again.

My job of the last year is not the best place to work. After leaving my last job of 25 years because the place closing, the job I'm at now is go-go-go. They do not allow time to work on fixing my computer on the clock, I do not even get a lunch. If I want to eat something I have to do it while I work. We work 10-16 hr days. It is what it is and as an older guy that's toward the end of his career, I just put up with it. All that said I finally have a day off work to bring my laptop home and work on it.

This is what my Device Manager USB items looks like.

USB.png

When the problem happens, I'll get an additional item that says: Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed). My touchpad and pen will then not work and I can only navigate by keyboard. This is something very hard to do when so use to easier navigating inputs (even worse when most times the Tablet portion is disconnected from keyboard dock).

So this is what I've done so far:

Opened each USB item, selected driver. Rollback is greyed out an all items. No updates available for any of them. So I selected update, browse for drivers on your computer, Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and under show compatible hardware, picked and installed the only option available. This reinstalled the drivers.

Next, I ran the following commands in an elevated command prompt:

• Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /checkhealth
  • Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /scanhealth
  • Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
  • sfc /scannow
  • Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
  • Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

That found and fixed a couple errors and then I restarted computer.

Next, for each of the USB devices listed that had power managment options available, I unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Restarted computer again.

Now several times I've had the computer on and off, let it go to sleep, let it hibernate, shut it down completely, etc. and let it run (with and without running programs on it) for a good while and so far the problem hasn't happened again (knock on wood). I can't say for sure that it fixed it, but before it happened at least 1 out of 3 times the computer was on after a short while of running.

For those asking what programs I run on this computer, the main ones are Ford IDS, Ford FDRS, Picoscope Auto and Alldata. I also have a couple older toughbooks that run other diagnostic programs, but this is my most used one.

Back