Total Newb Asks: dremel case without removing motherboard first?

BenWah

Weaksauce
I've decided that the only part worth upgrading in my tiny Silverstone SG05 case is the video card.
Currently I have a 770gtx, which just barely fit without any case mod.
I anticipate buying a 1070 card that would be 10.5 inches, or 269mm.
I'm jumping the gun a bit by worrying about this before I've settled on the exact card, but humor me.

I've read many reports that this size card fits by simply taking a dremel to the front of the case.

Is it absolutely necessary to remove the motherboard before attempting this?

I'm guessing the tiny bits of metal from dremeling might short the hell out of the motherboard and other things.

Or is it trivial to protect the parts inside and just go for it?

Please forgive the naive question. I'd really like to keep the same case, and if possible avoid the hassle of removing and reinstalling everything (except vid card)

Also if anyone has a link to a newb-friendly dremel guide or this kind of SG05 mod please let me know.

You are quite correct in assuming that metal filings would short out your motherboard if they landed in the wrong place. While modern Motherboards are pretty well protected from average wear-and-tear, I wouldn't risk it; even if you planned to cover it in plastic wrap, just one wrong filing could ruin your board - not to mention any other components. I would not only take out your motherboard, but also any other exposed components you might have in there.

I don't have any experience with modding this case for this specific purpose, but my recommendations are thus:
  • Power off your computer and remove the power cable.
  • Open your case up and remove your motherboard, RAM, Processor, Video Card, and your Power Supply - and any other exposed components like hard drives, fan controllers, and optical drives.
  • Put masking tape over the area that you are going to cut into - cover the whole area - this is to reduce the amount of filings/shards flying around.
  • Carefully use a pen/pencil/thin-tip sharpie to mark out the area that you are going to cut.
  • Put masking tape over any USB ports or connections that cannot be removed from your case. If in doubt, cover it. Better safe than sorry.
  • Take your empty case to a completely separate area (preferably outside)
  • GO SLOW. There is no reason to rip through the metal as fast as you can - and you will be glad you took your time.
  • Cut in the opposite direction that the dremel blade is spinning to prevent skipping and loss of control.
  • After you're done use a blower or a hand vac to clean the case out. I'd use a hanc vac, then canned air, then a hand vac again.
Wear eye-protection and consider some sort of mask. It might sound like overkill, but you are not just cutting metal, but also paint and any other coatings applied by the manufacturer.

As far as equipment, I would suggest the following dremel:

Dremel 7700 - It's cordless, but you don't really need the power supplied by corded versions. As a bonus, it's easily stored and small.

And the following blades:

Dremel EZ409 - They're thin-cut blades and should be precise enough for your mod.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just want to say I bought one of these a few years ago after getting tired of not having canned air or empty cans and not wanting a huge compressor.
This little blower in a can pushes a ton of air close to air compressor levels it has saved me so much in canned air cost and it is small and easy to take with you on site or outside just need power outlet.
Really a fantastic tool for keep your cases clean and equipment running long.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can it be done? Sure, it can. (I won't lie, I have done it in the past with a drill and stuff)

Should you? Only if you're ok with the possibility that you could fry all your stuff ;-)

Yes remove the motherboard. Don't be lazy and chance getting metal shavings where they're not supposed to be, specifically in RAM & PCI slots. Using a dremel is pretty strait forward. Like the Krixon said, go slow. Also cut in the direction that the blade is spinning, you'll save disks that way.

Even when you take your components out, I would take a trash bag before hand and some masking take and tape up the inside of the case. The metal shavings will find there way in to all the cracks and crevices of the inside of the case too.

Back