Tools and material for modding existing power cables

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Thinking of doing a little cable modding for now...Anyone have links for tools you have actually used. I have extra cables anyways cause my replacement supply uses same modular cables my other one did (power supply side). I think i would like to cut the spliters off the vga cables so that each 8 pin plug just has the single connector end just for starters. (i never understood why the fake one wire as 2)

Im mostly just lacking the crimper and extractor tool. Id rather just buy it once so if any has good suggestion rather than buy 4 different kinds seeing what works best.

The Molex tool/extractor really is the most important. Beyond that is just basic tools for any sort of electronics. Crimpers are absurdly expensive for namebrands, just grab a cheap Chinese knockoff from Amazon and you'll not notice any difference for this kind of work.

I just had a flashback of using safety pins and paperclips to remove PSU connectors. I can feel all the tiny bleeding holes in my fingers.

I think i would like to cut the spliters off the vga cables so that each 8 pin plug just has the single connector end just for starters. (i never understood why the fake one wire as 2)

Because running 6 cables is cheaper than running 8, it makes the cables thinner and more flexible, and two of the pins serve as sense wires that don't actually carry any power. The EPS (CPU) connector actually carries power on all 8 pins.

The Molex tool/extractor really is the most important. Beyond that is just basic tools for any sort of electronics. Crimpers are absurdly expensive for namebrands, just grab a cheap Chinese knockoff from Amazon and you'll not notice any difference for this kind of work.

I just had a flashback of using safety pins and paperclips to remove PSU connectors. I can feel all the tiny bleeding holes in my fingers.
I can already use a new pair of ferrule crimpers for work.....its a shame the same crimpers cant do both but then again one is for use at home (molex) and the other at work

Because running 6 cables is cheaper than running 8, it makes the cables thinner and more flexible, and two of the pins serve as sense wires that don't actually carry any power. The EPS (CPU) connector actually carries power on all 8 pins.
actually im talking about the 8 pin cables that split off into 2 connectors. (since my current card has 2 8 pin hook ups) but your right i was also meaning the other ones in certain situations, just not this one. I could have just ran the one cable for my card with the way evga supplies the cables

older shot of what im talking about
h8afX2vzu6n7mbNG6nzERV8X5vkOOjvdK-Dg4=w587-h782-no.jpg

notice the extra 8pins that branch off not in use? Now if your saying its useless to run 2 separate cables in this case then ill just remove one of the cables and power the card of just the one cable.

Last edited:
If it's from a quality manufacturer, I would trust that they chose a thick enough wire gauge to handle the load of two connectors.

i feel your pain...
yea i was kinda hoping for some amazon links (that people have actual experience with) on the removal tool and what not....Honestly if the replacement connectors and female and male pins are not to expensive then i just cut them off and toss them....it just earks my ocd that i have useless double 8 pin splitters (even though 1 cable is probably fine and i could just remove the other) yes normally i wouldnt do this but i have extra cables from one of the supplys failing anyway

Back