Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
Tiny and Big. It's the most fun I have had with a game since the "Next Car Game" demo released (see a video I made of that, here: http://youtu.be/UQL1MRaXTjc).

I got this game about two months ago in some bundle (indiegala or humble bundle), with a stupid amount of other games. You can otherwise buy it on Amazon, Good Old Games, Steam, Gamer's Gate, or DRM free straight from the website (via amazon payments or paypal) bundled with a steam key.
http://tinyandbig.com/

What you are about to see, I did in my first 15 minutes with the game, in the very first part of the first level. I didn't even really do anything to serve the progression of the game and did not even look at most of the level. I just did whatever grabbed my immediate attention. This is one of those games where you are constantly making your own goals, because the mechanics are super simple and give you the power to do a lot.

I easily sunk 3 or 4 hours into the first level, which is quite small and serves only as a primer for what you can do.

In this game, you can hook onto stuff, with a grapple rope thing.
Snpb.jpg

and then you can pull that stuff
Vnpb.jpg

I'm gonna get up there
Wnpb.jpg

good enough
Xnpb.jpg

oops, now I need past this
Ynpb.jpg

pull it down
Znpb.jpg

now I can go up!
aopb.jpg

now I'm wondering WTF I can REALLY pull with this thing
copb.jpg

I caught the big one!
dopb.jpg

HNNNnnggGGG!
fopb.jpg

Pulled! Now I want to get up on that flat spot I just created.
hopb.jpg

the way up is too tall. This looks useful.
jopb.jpg

pullling it around the corner. Got some good ol' videogames clipping goin' on!
kopb.jpg

far enough
lopb.jpg

push into place
mopb.jpg

goin' up!
nopb.jpg

hug the ledges
oopb.jpg

popb.jpg

video games!
qopb.jpg

now let's get over there, from here! pull!
sopb.jpg

pull!
topb.jpg

now what
uopb.jpg

you have a cutting lazer, too!
vopb.jpg

wopb.jpg

xopb.jpg

pull down the head
yopb.jpg

now cut this
zopb.jpg

and pull it
0opb.jpg

but the ramp i made is too steep (I tried it)
1opb.jpg

so cut it up!
2opb.jpg

now we can get over there
4opb.jpg

I'm now standing over on the head I first cut up with the lazer and then pulled down. But I got over to it, from up top. You can see the path I made!
5opb.jpg

next distraction
6opb.jpg

7opb.jpg

physics allowed this to slide down, on it's own.
8opb.jpg

I want up.
Aopb.jpg

The top I just cut fell here with physics
Copb.jpg

pull into place
Dopb.jpg

pretty high, now
Gopb.jpg

still got some work to do
Hopb.jpg

It slid off, unexpectedly
Iopb.jpg

My creation, it's beautiful!
Jopb.jpg

....and I died, trying to jump over there.
Kopb.jpg

This game is worth it, sale or no.

Last edited:
Is there actually a goal in the levels, or is it just a physics sandbox?

Is there actually a goal in the levels, or is it just a physics sandbox?

It reminds me a lot of late 90's/early 00's platformers in that your ultimate goal is to "get there". The fun is how you are getting there. Whether it's platforming on existing platforms, or constructing your own path. There's also stuff to collect, hidden out of the way. as well as some mini-games. Again, much like older 3D platformers. As mentioned before, the mechanics here are so easy to use and so effective, exploring is just something you end up doing. Whether you know there's a reason to go there, or not.

There's another tool which adds a whole other mechanic to the game, which I didn't even show. While not major, it makes moving stuff even easier to do and also adds some extra possibilities. Think along the lines of jumping vehicles with explosives in Battlefield 4 or GTA 4.

Last edited:
Oh this game has modkit on the official website, as well! Unfortunately, it's not really a user-end, self contained tool. It's essentially a slightly repackaged version of the devs own tools, via Autodesk Maya. Still, very cool that they offered it at all.

Probably a video would be easier.... and would express the art of the game, and the physics gameplay better.

I loved playing this title.

Hey guys. I was playing this again and made a video of me making an alternate path in the second level:

Please don't ever post that many screen shots again :cry:

Grab OBS and just making a video.

That being said. Looks fun!

Back