Time to Take Moore's Law is Dead Nvidia Article Seriously...

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Last edited:
1) the day one reviews were good but not stellar. Card fell WELL short of 2x2080 performance
2) happens with every launch.

So he’s 1 for 2 and the one he got right was something that happens every launch. People have short memories.

For all intents and purposes, there was NO stock. To claim otherwise is nonsense.

This is all about Nvidia hanging the anchor price of $699 to the 3080. Mark it down, you will very likely NEVER be able to get a $699 3080. The margin isn't high enough for Nvidia or AIB's to produce them.

Come November, you'll be able to get a $899 3080 with 20GB of memory, but all people will think about is the $699 and Day 1 reviews.

For all intents and purposes, there was NO stock. To claim otherwise is nonsense.

This is all about Nvidia hanging the anchor price of $699 to the 3080. Mark it down, you will very likely NEVER be able to get a $699 3080. The margin isn't high enough for Nvidia or AIB's to produce them.

Come November, you'll be able to get a $899 3080 with 20GB of memory, but all people will think about is the $699 and Day 1 reviews.

Getting a 20GB for $899 isn’t the same thing as paying $899 for an inferior AIB 10GB card. which is what was claimed. Your last sentence seems plausible, and by then, AIBs will have had time to update their cooling solutions Vs slapping on whatever they already have available.

I guess we will see. Listed prices for many AIB cards are 699 or not much more, despite not having stock currently.

Getting a 20GB for $899 isn’t the same thing as paying $899 for an inferior AIB 10GB card. which is what was claimed. Your last sentence seems plausible, and by then, AIBs will have had time to update their cooling solutions Vs slapping on whatever they already have available.

He didn't put a price on it. He said you wouldn't find $699 cards. You'll see cards closer to $799+ than $699 when they are actually available, and Nvidia's storefront will likely never be in stock.

Ohh, he also said the AIB's would be inferior

So he's actually 1 for 3 with the one being the obvious.

So you handpicked one exception that you can't buy either...congratulations. Let's see what the street price is of that card when it actually gets released.

Not enough info yet, who to say the Tuff card from ASUS was not cherry picked? Still a very nice card, too bad it is 2.7 pcie slot wide, ok for a X570 board, not so much for a TRX40 board unless loosing a slot is ok with you.

Was able to add a 3080 to the Nvidia Cart, except the checking out pop up is not going any further . . . grrrrrr

So you handpicked one exception...congratulations. Enjoy your card!...oh wait...

Came up in my feed, decided to share it. You think this will be the only one?

But please don't let this distract you from taking MLID seriously and continue claiming "he didn't put a price on it"

This was the only launch I have ever participated in that I could not secure any card. I even got the radeon 5870 on launch years ago and that was a really tight launch, with availablility generally taking months to fill in, unfortunately the card would fail under 3d loads so I sent it back and waited a few months till they worked out the bugs.

Last edited:
I'm not saying he's wrong but at the moment it looks like every other paper launch.
I think this is by design.

NVIDIA right now....

NVIDIA NOW.gif

Ohh, he also said the AIB's would be inferior

***Snip***

So he's actually 1 for 3 with the one being the obvious.
What? Last I read *most*of the AIB cards had worse temperatures and were throttling and didn't OC very well... at least any of the ones "near" MSRP. So, I'm not to sure I would say 1 of 3... that seems pretty spot on to me. Nvidia sent out the binned FE cards to reviewers, and now people will be purchasing inferior AIB cards for > MSRP. So far it's played out pretty spot on. I dunno, whether he got lucky or had a good source, but it seems to be playing out.

1) the day one reviews were good but not stellar. Card fell WELL short of 2x2080 performance

I wouldn't say "well short". It's around 70% of a 2080 despite costing $100 less than what a 2080 released for which is excellent. There's also the fact that it's $100 more than a 2070 released at yet it's more than twice as fast.

2) happens with every launch.

So he’s 1 for 2 and the one he got right was something that happens every launch. People have short memories.

I don't ever remember a launch where literally the entire world's supply was gone within a minute or two yet you can't find anybody that actually bought one. Yeah new launches sell out of inventory fast but I can't remember another time where something like this happened. Not saying it's a conspiracy or anything but the article has a point.

What? Last I read *most*of the AIB cards had worse temperatures and were throttling and didn't OC very well... at least any of the ones "near" MSRP. So, I'm not to sure I would say 1 of 3... that seems pretty spot on to me. Nvidia sent out the binned FE cards to reviewers, and now people will be purchasing inferior AIB cards for > MSRP. So far it's played out pretty spot on. I dunno, whether he got lucky or had a good source, but it seems to be playing out.

Ive only seem two AIBs, one was this and it was better on every metric, the other was an entry level EVGA that was marginally worse. Gamers Nexus is also saying improved cooling solutions are coming from AIBs. From where I’m sitting, the only thing he got right was that it was going to be a limited supply, which anyone would have guessed without any sources at all.

I don't ever remember a launch where literally the entire world's supply was gone within a minute or two yet you can't find anybody that actually bought one. Yeah new launches sell out of inventory fast but I can't remember another time where something like this happened. Not saying it's a conspiracy or anything but the article has a point.

290X is the only card I can think of where supply issues come close to what this seems to be. I wonder if any of the tech sites/Youtubers will be able to get and share amount estimates for the launch. Retailers not doing a damn thing to prevent bots and general scalpers has certainly not helped this launch. All the pre-release talk of low supply must have had the scalpers foaming at the mouth.

Mark it down, you will very likely NEVER be able to get a $699 3080. The margin isn't high enough for Nvidia or AIB's to produce them.

I disagree...people will be able to get $699 Founders cards...the 20GB variant is from AIB partners

290X is the only card I can think of where supply issues come close to what this seems to be. I wonder if any of the tech sites/Youtubers will be able to get and share amount estimates for the launch. Retailers not doing a damn thing to prevent bots and general scalpers has certainly not helped this launch. All the pre-release talk of low supply must have had the scalpers foaming at the mouth.

I'm sure I'm naive but I honestly don't think retailers saw this coming. I mean if you ran Newegg and I told you last night that scumbag scalpers were gonna use bots to buy literally the entire world's supply of the new $700 video card in a matter of seconds, I doubt you would've believed me.

I'm sure I'm naive but I honestly don't think retailers saw this coming. I mean if you ran Newegg and I told you last night that scumbag scalpers were gonna use bots to buy literally the entire world's supply of the new $700 video card in a matter of seconds, I doubt you would've believed me.

I'd believe you because it's been done before, with many other hyped products. There is no excuse for retailers not putting limits on products where they know there is an extremely limited amount. Newegg has done shit with past hardware releases to try and curb things. Bots scouring the internet to get things are nothing new.

I disagree...people will be able to get $699 Founders cards...the 20GB variant is from AIB partners

I think the point is that the founders cards aren't going to be readily available by design. The margin isn't good enough for Jensen and Co., but they wanted to have "Good Will" toward gamers after the Turing pricing debacle, so they gave it an attractive price with artificially low stock.

I think the point is that the founders cards aren't going to be readily available by design. The margin isn't good enough for Jensen and Co., but they wanted to have "Good Will" toward gamers after the Turing pricing debacle, so they gave it an attractive price with artificially low stock.

stock has always been low for any new GPU release for the past few years...is the PS5 launch also suffering from 'artificial low stock'?...new Intel/AMD chips?

He didn't put a price on it. He said you wouldn't find $699 cards. You'll see cards closer to $799+ than $699 when they are actually available, and Nvidia's storefront will likely never be in stock.

I'm starting to think maybe he really does know something. Because his predictions about PS5 and Xbox launch scarcity are also turning out to be true. What a fool I was for doubting him.

Last edited:

We’ll see how things go, but right now I remain unconvinced. People made wild claims about the previous two generations of FE cards as well. It’s not impossible that Nvidia decided to turn potential yield problems into good marketing, but this being some grand conspiracy from a get-go seems a bit much. Too much potential to backfire.

We’ll see how things go, but right now I remain unconvinced. People made wild claims about the previous two generations of FE cards as well. It’s not impossible that Nvidia decided to turn potential yield problems into good marketing, but this being some grand conspiracy from a get-go seems a bit much. Too much potential to backfire.

I think the key to see is whether or not the FE cards are ever readily available at the Nvidia storefront, and whether or not there is ample stock in October/November which is what he claimed would happen. Nvidia isn't going to direct sell the 20GB cards, so the other factor is what the 20GB cards are priced at. MLID is claiming there will be a significant upcharge for that extra 10GB.

I think the key to see is whether or not the FE cards are ever readily available at the Nvidia storefront, and whether or not there is ample stock in October/November which is what he claimed would happen.

If marked up AIB cards are readily available but FE’s and reasonably priced AIB cards like the TUF are nowhere to be found I’ll give MLID his due.

Way premature to claim he was right about anything though. It hasn’t even been 24 hours yet.

I'd believe you because it's been done before, with many other hyped products. There is no excuse for retailers not putting limits on products where they know there is an extremely limited amount. Newegg has done shit with past hardware releases to try and curb things. Bots scouring the internet to get things are nothing new.

No, but bots wiping out every card in stock across the planet in about 30 seconds is new.

True it's not impossible but I doubt Nvidia wanted this..... Almost none of their actual customers being able to buy the card and for almost the entire supply to be in the hands of eBay scalpers. Yeah Nvidia still made money and sold out cards but that's a very short sighted business plan because none of your customers can use the cards, if nobody buys these scalper's cards then the market will soon be flooded with cheaper "used" cards as the POS scalpers try to recoup some of their costs and lastly you've royally pissed off your entire customer base in the span of about 2 minutes. So yeah, you sold out your first batch, just not to any of your actual customers who, by the way, are all now Googling "can I run my G-Sync monitor with an AMD card?"

I find it hard to imagine that the 3090 launch is going to go any better as there should be appreciably less stock available.

I’m torn because I know Big Navi is going to be great but I also want that 3090 because the e-peen is looking a little flaccid. Hmm, guess it’ll depend on what a clusterfuck the 3090 release ends up being.

Back