TightVNC Help

Remote server is RHEL 6.3 with "Allow other users to view your desktop" set. I can ping the IP of the remote server, can SSH into it and can ping it from my W7 machine that's running the TightVNC viewer. Firewall is disabled on the target RHEL server. Every time, the message says, "Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it". Not sure what to try next except punching it. It could work.

Remote server is RHEL 6.3 with "Allow other users to view your desktop" set. I can ping the IP of the remote server, can SSH into it and can ping it from my W7 machine that's running the TightVNC viewer. Firewall is disabled on the target RHEL server. Every time, the message says, "Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it". Not sure what to try next except punching it. It could work.

The session must be logged in first. Will not work if the target is at the login prompt.

And wrong forum...

Apologies for the wrong forum. TightVNC won't connect whether root or another account is logged in to RHEL server.

To be clear, I mean you must already be logged into gnome/kde. If you're already doing this then I'd check logs and/or fire up wireshark.

Back