Three Amazing GameWorks Moments You’ll See In Warface

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dynamic smoke. Realistic turbulence. Explosions that leave debris all over the place. It’s hard to imagine we used to have war games without these effects. But not any more. Warface has captivated gamers with its quick pace and intuitive controls. Now CryTek is enhancing its first-person shooter with key NVIDIA GameWorks features that simulate the grit and grime of combat. Thanks to NVIDIA GameWorks – our effort to help developers put the latest graphics technologies to work in their games – smoke, dust and other fluid dynamic effects will reach new levels of realism.

Ugh, more proprietary crap.

Wasn't interested in the game before, this doesn't help.

So they renamed PhysX to GameWorks? Still bullshit, locking things down prevents progress and noone will use your shit! Get it through your thick skulls Nvidia.

Crytek needs all the money that they can get. Whatever amount of money Nvidia promised them to implement Gameworks is fine as they really need it. No complaints from me.

Yay, another demo showing more smoke and debris! The helicopter dust recirculation was OK.

Shows how bad PhysX is viewed by the general public if they have to rename it

And I just bought a GTX 980 yesterday to boot ;D

can't wait to see the Assassin's Creed: Unity Nvidia exclusive video...and Far Cry 4...and the Crew...

just when it seemed PhysX was dying out, it comes back with a vengeance...Mantle light a fire under Nvidia?

WTF who doesn't like seeing more effects in games? Nothing wrong with adding more eye candy as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy seeing PhysX enabled content in games.

Did they ever fix the warface mouse problems? Last time I played if you tried to move the mouse slowly your cursor wouldn't move at all.

Gotta agree...other than the Helicopter Downdraft effect, all that other stuff looked like 2009. Where was the 'accurately billowing smoke' from the missile launch?? Was expecting a huge smoke cloud that billowed over-and-around that truck cab, obscuring my vision.....I got whispy mario-cart clouds that sort of bounced backwards.......?

WTF who doesn't like seeing more effects in games? Nothing wrong with adding more eye candy as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy seeing PhysX enabled content in games.
Well the issue is in the past they've entered in deals with game companies where Nvidia provides closed DLL's (instead of source code) where once they're implemented, they'll often cripple AMD performance. Some of the accusations from Nvidia have been that they'll over-tessellate objects (millions of triangles for batman's cape, or the fur on the dog in Cod Ghosts, the water in the Crysis 2 tessellation patch, etc.), reduce performance for Nvidia AND AMD, but in a way that hurts AMD more, and that the devs essentially have to use their code whether they want to or not since it's the business side making the decision to use Gameworks, often to a multi-million dollar tune.

It's hard to say what's true or not, but these have been public accusations from AMD and Nvidia's response has been essentially "uh, no", even though they've been caught lying about saying that they never included DLL's instead of source code, even though it was admitted by them earlier.

In a perfect world, AMD would open source Mantle for Nvidia and Nvidia would open source PhysX for AMD and EVERY pc gamer would rejoice.
We're far, far, far, far from perfect.

So they renamed PhysX to GameWorks? Still bullshit, locking things down prevents progress and noone will use your shit! Get it through your thick skulls Nvidia.

No PhysX is just a module of GameWorks. GameWorks combines VisualFX, PhysX, and other tools into one package.

Devs can still just get PhysX if they want.

I agree about the proprietary tech but unfortunately both companies are guilty of it. It is old business 101; you R&D the tech and you keep it.

Methinks there might be a copyright issue with that name.

You mean Trademark infringement right? Cause a restaurant is not a work of authorship.

The only way it could be a Trademark infringement is if Gameworks, the restaurant, also trademarked the name when used as development software/technology.

Just because you use name X for a purpose doesn't block person Y from using the same name in a different capacity. That is why you hire a good Trademark attorney prior to filing.

While the effects may not be as close to real life as some people would like to see, I think they are cool.

Everyone bitches about proprietary software, and how everyone would love everything to be open source (that is a nice dream). However, as long as there is money to be made by businesses, we will never see things go full open source. No matter how much everyone would like to see it.
If you don't like a company for using proprietary tech, don't spend your money with them. thats about all you can do.

Methinks there might be a copyright issue with that name.

I checked, GameWorks is owned by SEGA for restaurants and merchandising for those restaurants.

Nvidia hasn't registered anything for it, so there's still time to troll them!

There's three PhysX trademarks - one for a beverage company.

Three Amazing GameWorks Moments You’ll See In Warface

um.. like sliding across dirt like ice? yeah.. thats amazing.
Ho-hum... (yawn) physx bla bla... next.

the real question is...

does this game suck? just got into BF4 and really enjoy it, but i don't want to divide my time if this blows.

In a perfect world, AMD would open source Mantle for Nvidia and Nvidia would open source PhysX for AMD and EVERY pc gamer would rejoice.
We're far, far, far, far from perfect.
AMD has said that Mantle IS going to be open source, they just haven't given a hard date yet. It was said late 2014, but that's coming up fast.

AMD has said that Mantle IS going to be open source, they just haven't given a hard date yet. It was said late 2014, but that's coming up fast.
It's currently is not open source, "going to be" said by GPU makers is far for reliable. Mantle has been out in commercial products for over a year now, so as long as you say "it's going to be" makes it okay?

It's currently is not open source, "going to be" said by GPU makers is far for reliable. Mantle has been out in commercial products for over a year now, so as long as you say "it's going to be" makes it okay?
It makes it better than "fuck no."

We're these in the earlier builds? I played it 3 months ago and wasn't really impressed. It played ok and looks better than any other F2p, but is still bowhoring.

I don't think AMD knows how "open" Mantle will be. Even Huddy and Hallock can't agree on what Mantle will eventually be.

Time will tell and AMD is running out of time to meet that late 2014 date.

Considering AMD's current financial troubles, I doubt their stockholders will be happy if AMD suddenly releases it to the world for nothing or actually allows other GPU's to run it.

Giving NV a faster API for free? That will help their bottom line.

These little advancements add up to a much bigger picture. They all build on something else that was "small" at one time. Put them all together and you can have a real kick ass environment.

I like it. Some of it may not be that big of a deal, but many things in nature aren't a big thing, but without them, you can see that it's just not right.

This right here.... going to say the majority who complain about it must have AMD cards..

That's kind of the point, isn't it? AMD has expressed their willingness to open source their Mantle API, once it's development is finished.

Nvidia bought PhysX, cancelled the add-in card, disabled dual driver support for using an Nvidia and AMD card in the same system, and effectively told everyone who doesn't buy their overpriced crap to fuck off.

Sure, they're perfectly entitled to do that. And some will even argue that it's better for their bottom line. But it's just plain incorrect. In fact, disabling dual driver support is very specifically bad for their bottom line, since they'll sell no PhysX dedicated Nvidia cards to AMD owners.

We're not annoyed with their new (old) effects or new branding schemes. We're pissed about their shitty anti-consumer - anti-industry practices. They're no one's friend, and they've made it abundantly clear. "Buy our shit or else, fuck you".

That's kind of the point, isn't it? AMD has expressed their willingness to open source their Mantle API, once it's development is finished.

Nvidia bought PhysX, cancelled the add-in card, disabled dual driver support for using an Nvidia and AMD card in the same system, and effectively told everyone who doesn't buy their overpriced crap to fuck off.

Sure, they're perfectly entitled to do that. And some will even argue that it's better for their bottom line. But it's just plain incorrect. In fact, disabling dual driver support is very specifically bad for their bottom line, since they'll sell no PhysX dedicated Nvidia cards to AMD owners.

We're not annoyed with their new (old) effects or new branding schemes. We're pissed about their shitty anti-consumer - anti-industry practices. They're no one's friend, and they've made it abundantly clear. "Buy our shit or else, fuck you".

Once it's finished. Like when? I'm sorry, until I hear a concrete release date, it's all AMD talk out of its ass for me.
Remember FreeSync? TressFX? How are they doing? Now compare to GameWorks and GSync.
How's TrueAudio going? VCE? Nice. At least NVENC works, and leads to an awesome feature called ShadowPlay.

So yeah, you can stay with their promises all you want, I prefer real, solid products that I can buy TODAY. AMD doesn't deliver on that front, not even close.

Don't mistake it for Google VS Apple Android/iOS situation, at least Google delivers on its software. :rolleyes:

Well, when AMD open sources Mantle, it'll be open source.
Until that day, it's just as closed as Physx.

Once it's finished. Like when? I'm sorry, until I hear a concrete release date, it's all AMD talk out of its ass for me.
Remember FreeSync? TressFX? How are they doing? Now compare to GameWorks and GSync.
How's TrueAudio going? VCE? Nice. At least NVENC works, and leads to an awesome feature called ShadowPlay.

So yeah, you can stay with their promises all you want, I prefer real, solid products that I can buy TODAY. AMD doesn't deliver on that front, not even close.

Don't mistake it for Google VS Apple Android/iOS situation, at least Google delivers on its software. :rolleyes:

Seriously? TressFX has been in plenty of games. FreeSync was just recently approved to be rolled out to VESA standards. Did we all forget GSync wasn't even launched until earlier this year? It was announced as an add-in card for old monitors almost 2 years ago, of course they had the jump over AMD on that thing. AMD has it's own version of shadowplay and it does work already. TrueAudio was announced not too long ago.

You seem to think AMDs R&D budget dwarfs Nvidia or Intel. The company is having financial issues and they can't make huge uncalculated risks. It's called testing the market and seeing reactions to it. Look at all the shit Nvidia has produced and failed to deliver on. Intel is still late on delivering new chip arc's. Give AMD a break, they're trying very hard to stay relevant so that they can create COMPETITION which is good for every consumer.

Seriously? TressFX has been in plenty of games.

Really, name more than 2 games? Even AMD's dev site can't name more than one, Tomb Raider.

It was announced as an add-in card for old monitors almost 2 years ago, of course they had the jump over AMD on that thing.

GSync was announced on October 18, 2013....so barely 1 year ago.

The company is having financial issues and they can't make huge uncalculated risks. It's called testing the market and seeing reactions to it. Look at all the shit Nvidia has produced and failed to deliver on. Intel is still late on delivering new chip arc's. Give AMD a break, they're trying very hard to stay relevant so that they can create COMPETITION which is good for every consumer.

I agree. AMD is facing an uphill battle, however, you can't get a bigger R&D budget if you develop tech then give it away. Based on the current stock and recent earnings report, AMD might re-evaluate their openness based on shareholders concerns. Notice no more word about OpenWorks in over 4 months.

It is almost like "Gaming Scientist," Richard Huddy would rather sell AMD cards by telling consumers how mean or stingy NV is rather than selling AMD's performance and in-game tech.

I'm usually an AMD guy, but this last time around I went Nvidia.
No regrets.

You can't be that naive.
I'm quoting what they said. If they're outright lying, why even say that? If it wasn't clear in my message, I'd be surprised if they make it for 2014, I'm guessing they'll be late.

Squall_Rinoa89 said:
This right here.... going to say the majority who complain about it must have AMD cards..
I'm on an Nvidia card because my loyalty lies with whoever has the best AA options, but I don't like this because they're screwing with the ecosystem. It's one thing to support effects that only work on your specific hardware. It's another to PAY game companies multi-millions of dollars to use closed DLL's that the developer has to use under contract that slows down the speed of everything, but slows it down for your competitors more.

TheCapulet said:
Exactly, I wish people wouldn't be so quick to take sides instead of saying "hey, this is just a bad practice for gaming in general."

trandoanhung1991 said:
AMD and Nvidia trade places on who makes innovations first. AMD was the first to support shader-based AA with MLAA (before Nvidia had FXAA), it had Adaptive AA before Nvidia had TrSSAA. They had Truform WAY before hardware tessellation in DX11. They typically swap blows with who is doing what first.

And as far as I'm concerned, Gsync v. Freesync is TIED since it's been over a year since they've been announced and NOBODY has an IPS monitor that supports either one yet. As badly as I want frame syncing, I'm not downgrading to a damn TN panel.

And as far as I'm concerned, Gsync v. Freesync is TIED since it's been over a year since they've been announced and NOBODY has an IPS monitor that supports either one yet. As badly as I want frame syncing, I'm not downgrading to a damn TN panel.

Lol it's not tied Gsync is a tangible product that works. The reason why you don't see one on IPS is because Gsync holds a "gamer" branding. So they monitor manufactures use it in 120, 144hz monitors IPS currently can't support that and reach a manufacturer's goals on reliability. There is no manufacture that's going to add 200 dollars to a monitor without a clear customer base, a super niche base is not a platform to stand on.

It looks like even Brent is getting annoyed at Nvidia's Apple-esque closed technologies policy:

If there is one point we want you to understand about this game it is that this is a "very DX11" driven game. By that we mean this game uses some advanced DX11 features to exploit the benefits of Microsoft DirectCompute and DirectX 11. AMD had a heavy hand in the development of this game in order to push DX11 graphics features and introduce some of AMD's own technology into the game. While some of these 3D graphical effects are AMD created, these are done under DirectCompute so that these work on both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs. There are no proprietary graphics effects in this game, everything can be rendered equally on NVIDIA or AMD GPUs given the proper DirectX feature level support. Please take note of this NVIDIA! This is how you move gaming forward which betters the entire industry, not just the Green stock price!
We think that Alien: Isolation is a template that other game designers should take notice of. We love the use of open technologies based on DirectCompute and the absence of proprietary technologies that make Alien: Isolation truly a great title. Team Green and game devs please take notice of this, as this is what pushes the gaming industry forward as a whole. And that is simply good for all of us.

Back