Threadripper 5000 mobo support speculation

notarat

2[H]4U
I heard the new Threadrippers will drop at some point in the next 3-4 months so I was wondering if anyone has heard about any new threadripper boards coming out.

I'm leaning heavily in that direction since I need the extra PCIe lanes for my nvme adapter card, but I don't want to purchase a board now in preparation of the Nov launch only to find out at launch that it won't support the new version of TR...

I think the general consensus is that the TRX40 boards will accept the new processors (With BIOS updates) which would at least match the X399 boards in terms of number of generations supported. AMD got a lot of flak for killing X399 quickly after Threadripper Gen 2, and with DDR5 on the horizon it would be odd to require a new chipset for fourth generation Threadripper when the DDR5 fifth generation will absolutely require a new board/socket/chipset.

Then again, they may require WTRX40 for fourth gen just to keep us all on our toes.

***TRX40 owner here keeping fingers crossed.***

What Martin said. It's supposed to work in existing boards, and there will probably be a few revisions of existing ones to encourage some upgrades too. X399 had... issues, so I don't blame them for killing it.

Back