Thoughts on My rebuild list

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/...0975&RandomID=1175617419314217820180722153918 ok needs editing

edit

ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard $299.99

AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor $329.99

Mugen 5 Rev. B CPU Cooler with AMD AM4 Support $47.99

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD X370 / X399 Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX $259.99

Corsair, Graphite Series 230T Windowed Compact Mid-Tower Case Rebel Orange, CC-9011038-WW $82.99

f8VbMUtu_gyCbKLrOFNcVf6DbN002CwV9Tzmv5KJVR-sMNOIM8UzxsepdYdJy4JKqEvuumaxirb4KBnl2M=w1078-h808-no.jpg

Last edited:
The Mugen 5 cools pretty ok (I just ordered a twin pack of high static pressure Corsair fans) the only con I have is the mounting surface, when I pulled it off the 1600, it was marred pretty good...

The Mugen 5 cools pretty ok (I just ordered a twin pack of high static pressure Corsair fans) the only con I have is the mounting surface, when I pulled it off the 1600, it was marred pretty good...
what kind of results you getting? or ou just shooting for even lower temps cause why not? Any regrets on your ryzen build? im putting my order in tonight lol

yea im thinking the ram i selected probably has a better xmp profile suited for ryzen builds.....but yea for intel builds it seems its way cheaper

The biggest difference is that the kit you mentioned in your first post uses Samsung B-die ICs which work much better on Ryzen and the other isn't. The B-die kit will likely work right out of the box with XMP and should have some headroom for better speed or timings while the other kit is more likely to not even run at the rated speed which is already slower.

I would go with the better kit since the cheaper one is still 4/5ths the cost and infinity fabric makes memory performance more important on Ryzen.

what kind of results you getting? or ou just shooting for even lower temps cause why not? Any regrets on your ryzen build? im putting my order in tonight lol
Superposition benchmark on extreme 1080p full core load at stock 4125mhz with the volts bouncing 1.3- 1.4 is at 52c. I bought the other fans because why not I ran push pull on a Mugen 3 for years, I would like to try for 4.3ghz with room to spare. The Mugen 5 handled 1.4 and 3.9ghz on the 1600 in the 60c range.

My B350 board is finally stable, but I don't have the balls to push it, I have a x470 Prime Pro ready to drop in...

Only thing I regret was buying a 1600, I should have put up with my 4670K a little longer, 2700x is beast mode in comparison.

Superposition benchmark on extreme 1080p full core load at stock 4125mhz with the volts bouncing 1.3- 1.4 is at 52c. I bought the other fans because why not I ran push pull on a Mugen 3 for years, I would like to try for 4.3ghz with room to spare. The Mugen 5 handled 1.4 and 3.9ghz on the 1600 in the 60c range.

My B350 board is finally stable, but I don't have the balls to push it, I have a x470 Prime Pro ready to drop in...

Only thing I regret was buying a 1600, I should have put up with my 4670K a little longer, 2700x is beast mode in comparison.
way cool.....exactly what i needed to hear to pull the trigger...looking at my sig you can tell i hold on to decent builds for a long time.;)

The only thing I can say since I have a lot of the same parts is that it seems like the memory is expensive. To put it in perspective I got both of my flare X kits for around $175 each with the same Samsung B die.

I've run more generic 3000 megahertz memory at 2933 megahertz regularly. And I've got memory like that for around $120. Not really sure you would notice the difference when you're paying over twice as much.

I haven't used the Mugen cooler in a while and it was an older revision. But the fuma is pretty easy to install All Things Considered on am4.

Looks like a beast. However, if you are willing to spend $300 on a motherboard, it might be worth waiting for the 2900x.

- You would get way more I/O
- Cpu upgrade path would be huge
- Doubling Ram to 32 GB would also. double your bandwidth.

way cool.....exactly what i needed to hear to pull the trigger...looking at my sig you can tell i hold on to decent builds for a long time.;)
Looks like a beast. However, if you are willing to spend $300 on a motherboard, it might be worth waiting for the 2900x.

- You would get way more I/O
- Cpu upgrade path would be huge
- Doubling Ram to 32 GB would also. double your bandwidth.
naw.....could t not wait....down to a very old low end backup laptop....if the backup fails i be down to just my phone. I really need to retire/replace the old laptop as well.. something with a vega apu is probably in order. (lap top would be just for light gameing anyway)....i very much hope still have a decent upgrade path ahead

main pc (actually everything) has to be fairly portable since i live on the road these days..is why i chose a fairly light midcase and didnt go threadripper build

7etEBPT2f8QslPBbXJiIt3lyo-cazSH2u3M80CCVxU5cN52nI5JTgvdAWquyuigLKFjjYopj6DC_7L6jhCg=w683-h910-no.jpg

So new motherboards come without any shrink rap around the box? And they apparently dont put them in anti static bags any more? Or newegg fucked me with a returned motherboard? i dont see any damage at least

So new motherboards come without any shrink rap around the box? And they apparently dont put them in anti static bags any more? Or newegg fucked me with a returned motherboard? i dont see any damage at least

I can understand ditching the shrink-wrap, that's nasty stuff. I think (hope!) that the foam packing is conductive, thus anti-static. My Asrock came the same way. I guess you just have to know not to poke at the board before you discharge yourself.

I think the box coating(black stuff) is metalized and thus anti static, this sort of packing is for highend ish boards, my gene board was also packed this way. Most other boards still have anti static bags, which honestly I prefer. I think they are trying to make the packaging nicer looking.

I have the same board and mine didn't have shrink wrap or an anti-static bag but did have a clear molded plastic piece over the board that I don't see in your pic.

I have the same board and mine didn't have shrink wrap or an anti-static bag but did have a clear molded plastic piece over the board that I don't see in your pic.
it did come with that actually....so looks legit....in the old days we had to worry about getting damaged returns sold as brand new. ill admit its been some time since my x58 was put together lol......looking forward to this new amd build and just waiting on the case and cooler

it did come with that actually....so looks legit....in the old days we had to worry about getting damaged returns sold as brand new. ill admit its been some time since my x58 was put together lol......looking forward to this new amd build and just waiting on the case and cooler

The X58 in my sig was actually my last personal build before this one, I have done a few for other people since then though. Unfortunately my gigabyte board wouldn't take one of those hex Xeons you have in your sig and still overclock.

Motherboard vendors are moving from silver antistatic bags to this kind of packaging. It is cheap and provides excellent protection. The clear plastic cover also makes it possible to flip up a box front cover to get a peek at the motherboard in all its glory. I think the last 4 or 5 higher end boards, including the one in my sig, have been like that.

I can't remember ever seeing shrink wrap motherboard boxes. A little piece of seal tape on the opening side yes, but never shrink wrap.

My ASUS X470 Prime Pro came in standard anti static bag.

Not to steal from your build, I just got mine done, but the onboard audio has been fuckery and finally died, returning this POS. Gonna go out on a limb with the B450 Gigabyte Auro Pro Wifi.

20180729_231439.jpg

Last edited:
My ASUS X470 Prime Pro came in standard anti static bag.

Not to steal from your build, I just got mine done, but the onboard audio has been fuckery and finally died, returning this POS. Gonna go out on a limb with the B450 Gigabyte Auro Pro Wifi.

View attachment 92709
looks fantastic at least.....mine will have to be more portable (no glass) and slightly lighter for travel. I should be starting my build tomorrow and dont have to rush since i picked up a
Ryzen 7 2700U laptop to hold me over till the build is up and running. As far as the build in audio, well ill probably stick with my sound blaster z anyways...I may not even test the audio lol

looks fantastic at least.....mine will have to be more portable (no glass) and slightly lighter for travel. I should be starting my build tomorrow and dont have to rush since i picked up a
Ryzen 7 2700U laptop to hold me over till the build is up and running. As far as the build in audio, well ill probably stick with my sound blaster z anyways...I may not even test the audio lol

The board is twitchy in general, I don't know if its the bios, but hey. Post up a pic when you're done with your build, what case are you dropping everything in?

11-139-027-13.jpg

Thought I would give orange a try lol....I should have possibly running tonight...depends on how things go

Nice, my Raidmax is orange, viva la Ryzen!
might take a few days......at least i got started on it lol
wa9xvFpA5cH_SZdUpeR6NUqAsRSYLYjU6fBxP2AqJzDSrflRnL4Zj4ZaMeffS6-2095_cGux9LodfeSv_ls=w683-h910-no.jpg

7fc5V-5dqg9gUH320kO8Cs3Kc44wap5dS_49dlo5-0wzKBVHXUJW6Zyz05vJKZ32mLD9vGV6FIDwONQJ66U=w683-h910-no.jpg

I work 60 hours a week so i make to make do with the spare time i have.....I have to say i really like all the parts so far....especially the cooler....feels very solid and was a breeze to install

Coming along....one thing I noticed is I need a new key to reactivate since windows considers it a new PC...we can still use cheap windows 7 keys still? Or what's the best plan for that? It's funny how modern windows can boot up from a dead Intel system...lol....of course I'll do a fresh install at some point....I'm sure everything is in some kind of legacy mode versis uefi install

Attachments

• IMG_20180802_220736108_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180802_220736108_LL.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 0
Coming along....one thing I noticed is I need a new key to reactivate since windows considers it a new PC...we can still use cheap windows 7 keys still? Or what's the best plan for that? It's funny how modern windows can boot up from a dead Intel system...lol....of course I'll do a fresh install at some point....I'm sure everything is in some kind of legacy mode versis uefi install

You can activate with your original windows 7 key, I've done it 3 times now... Go to update and security, activate windows, and it will ask you to put in your key.

You can activate with your original windows 7 key, I've done it 3 times now... Go to update and security, activate windows, and it will ask you to put in your key.
tell me that fan clip on the mugen cooler is tweak-able or mod able to better hold the fans on.....they dont seem to hold the fan on very well:(

tell me that fan clip on the mugen cooler is tweak-able or mod able to better hold the fans on.....they dont seem to hold the fan on very well:(

It's pretty hard to clip it on wrong, so my guess is that a clip is bent, or you're expecting an immovable mount and that's not how it works. At least, not on my Mugen. I grant that you can't shake it much without the fans moving, but I don't normally whack my computer around :) The fans should be on firmly enough that they don't fall off when they spin up; you might get a little sliding when you hook up the cabling, but that's about it.

thanks that worked just fine!.....and was almost to easy...now tell me this....my windows install is from my older intel build....like aint i missing out on UEFI install or something? everything works, was just wondering

It's pretty hard to clip it on wrong, so my guess is that a clip is bent, or you're expecting an immovable mount and that's not how it works. At least, not on my Mugen. I grant that you can't shake it much without the fans moving, but I don't normally whack my computer around :) The fans should be on firmly enough that they don't fall off when they spin up; you might get a little sliding when you hook up the cabling, but that's about it.
its on alright.....its just not as tight as i wanted....i can imagine that fan bouncing around when the case is moved around. put it to you this way compared to my thermalrights plastic clips it is a joke....i may have to install small tyraps or rubber bands to lock it beter in place.

thanks that worked just fine!.....and was almost to easy...now tell me this....my windows install is from my older intel build....like aint i missing out on UEFI install or something? everything works, was just wondering
You'll be fine. You can save your key to your windows account as well.
its on alright.....its just not as tight as i wanted....i can imagine that fan bouncing around when the case is moved around. put it to you this way compared to my thermalrights plastic clips it is a joke....i may have to install small tyraps or rubber bands to lock it beter in place.
I find this part odd, for me, I find my fan (and now fans) was on there pretty good. Did you try the other set of clips?

You'll be fine. You can save your key to your windows account as well.

I find this part odd, for me, I find my fan (and now fans) was on there pretty good. Did you try the other set of clips?
Makes ya wonder.....and yeah sorta....they all seem the same anyway...maybe I'm being a dumbass and using them bassackwards or something.....that be ok to if I get it corrected..

I'll put up some close up pictures to see if I have it on wrong after work today.

ok take a look please
Zpq84RbMa4B6crv0QNoy-u53gGB2gyy_ePC2SyJTEZQKQLZjdf4hp3zLmLi-4sK0KIUYYVyFKe__cfb2Qmg=w606-h808-no.jpg

feels very loose compared to my thermalright ultra 120 i was using

Your clips need to drop down in fins like In this photo.

Attachments

• 51Db+Yy5IAL.jpg
    51Db+Yy5IAL.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
Back