thinking about a 980, how much improvement will I really see?

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
currently running 2 6950s at 5760x1080, they have been awesome, but obviously are starting to show their age at this resolution.

looks like 980s can be had for $470-490 ish these days, and that is pretty tempting

I'm just wondering, real world, how much of a framerate boost do you guys think I am likely to see?

About Twice the performance of your current setup with perfect Xfire Scaling with the 980 at stock clocks or reference models.. once you add the factor of custom cooled high factory OC'd cards and the fact that Xfire never scale perfectly in those old cards I can sure you will enjoy easily 3X performance of your setup..

This review might be of interest to you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/10

They tested a single 6970 at 1080p and 1440p for that review, so you can assume 2x6950s would be a bit less than double that performance. That's only in games with perfect scaling of course though. With the 980 you'll be getting guaranteed performance regardless of the game. Having 4GB of VRAM might help for running games at 5760x1080 too.

What Araxie said seems to be about right. About double the performance at worst, and maybe closer to 3x in games that don't scale as well.

I would just buy a up to date 290x myself as there are afew that are built like the 390/390x setup with better cooling and phase power design .. they don't throttle much anymore and if you can't found one of those then the 390 is hard to beat for the price with 8Gb of ram.

Back