Think I damaged one of my 14tb drives...... :(

gawkgawk

Limp Gawd
I have a pair of 14TB easystores in storages spaces mirror mode that then backs up to a truenas server. Well I was moving some things around and accidentally dropped it, while on, it fell about a foot and banged against the side of my desk but the cables stayed attached and stopped it from going all the way to the floor, it made a couple louder noises when I stood it back up. I have power cycled it and it sounds normal, but storage spaces still says to check the physical disk. I just ordered an exact replacement. Is there any way to test that it's actually time for a hammer and the trash bin?

Download Data Lifeguard from WD's website and run a Long Test or two. Just remember the test is destructive, so make sure you have a new mirror up with the new drive before you run it. See if it passes, but even if it does I would treat is as suspect because even though it didn't hit the floor it banged, while running against your desk. Use it for a scratch or with something that you backup often.

Download Data Lifeguard from WD's website and run a Long Test or two. Just remember the test is destructive, so make sure you have a new mirror up with the new drive before you run it. See if it passes, but even if it does I would treat is as suspect because even though it didn't hit the floor it banged, while running against your desk. Use it for a scratch or with something that you backup often.
cool, I will try this when the replacement arrives on 1/4. Thanks!

If it wasn't in use, there's a good chance the heads were parked (typically they park after 5 minutes of inactivity).

It's entirely possible the cable catching it from hitting the floor slightly unplugged during whatever you were doing. Considering they're a mirror and have a direct backup how crucial is it really? The other side of it is it doesn't sound like it got banged around much if at all. Think of the bouncing around these go through from manufacturing and distribution to being in an end user's hands. Run some HDD tests and if it works as usual, keep using it.

I have a pair of 14TB easystores in storages spaces mirror mode that then backs up to a truenas server. Well I was moving some things around and accidentally dropped it, while on, it fell about a foot and banged against the side of my desk but the cables stayed attached and stopped it from going all the way to the floor, it made a couple louder noises when I stood it back up. I have power cycled it and it sounds normal, but storage spaces still says to check the physical disk. I just ordered an exact replacement. Is there any way to test that it's actually time for a hammer and the trash bin?
Hi,

It's possible that the hard drive may have sustained physical damage from being dropped. Dropping a hard drive, even from a short distance, can cause internal damage to the components, including the platters where the data is stored. The noises you heard after the drop are also a sign that something may be wrong.

You should immediately stop using the drive and try to recover your data by either using a data recovery software or taking the drive to a professional data recovery service.

You can also try connecting the hard drive to a computer and checking if it's recognized by the operating system. If it's not recognized, it's a sign that the drive may have sustained serious damage.

Keep in mind that even if the drive appears to be working fine, it may have developed problems that will only become apparent over time. It's recommended to replace the drive as soon as possible.

Back