Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE $35.90

How does this compare to the wraith prism cooler with a Ryzen 9 5900X? My CPU gets around 91°C sometimes under load conditions I'm hoping this is going to be better then that with a 105W TDP chip?
I never thought it was rated above the 3700x, I am using the wraith prism cooler but on the 5700x and kind of why I been waiting as to use that cooler on that cpu because about 85watts should be all it will ever see and I put some Corsair XTM50 between them, if I remember right the cooler as a higher rpm switch on the side and make sure it in that mode for your 5900x to boost if your really using it.

I never thought it was rated above the 3700x
Not really sure about that but this cooler was also included with the 3800X which is also a 105W part so I thought I was safe? My cooler was the one that was originally came with my Ryzen 7 3700X I never bought a new cooler when I got my 5900X as I thought it was good enough.
I did coat the top of my 5900X in a thin layer of thermal grease so I don't think my instalation is the issue here just the cooler is marginally sufficient particularly at high load levels as the temps take quite a while to even back out after the load drops

Cooler kicks ass on my 5900x. Just remember to put enough paste on the CPU. And set fan curve to somewhat aggressive. I'm running 50% for idle temps, around 85-90 on regular load.

Idles are - 32 to 35 for me
Game temps - 55 to 62
Cinebench 23 - 65 to 70
I use this cooler on my 5950x, and while cpu mining on Nicehash and the cpu is at 100% load, my cpu tops out at 80c. I run the fans on full speed for better cooling.

Not really sure about that but this cooler was also included with the 3800X which is also a 105W part so I thought I was safe? My cooler was the one that was originally came with my Ryzen 7 3700X I never bought a new cooler when I got my 5900X as I thought it was good enough.
I did coat the top of my 5900X in a thin layer of thermal grease so I don't think my instalation is the issue here just the cooler is marginally sufficient particularly at high load levels as the temps take quite a while to even back out after the load drops
I found out about that flip switch latch,after not touching it since 2019, that even flipped to what I thought is fully latched is not, and best time to move it around just alittle for paste, Corsair XTM50 had to be thick and what that bondo card in the box is for and spread it full just like the Peerless Assassin needed and the paste looked the very same stuff to me, then push more on that latch down, 2 steps on that latch to set it fully down on that same side that locks it down tight is what i picked up on and lucky I noticed and back checked myself after 5700x install and no power yet.

Edit, if your 5900x has eco mode, try it and run the same test and if the temps are the very same, you need more paste or flip the latch switch more on the cooler, if the temps scale back some, then the cooler can't handle that much power in default mode of a 5900x.

I found my mistake with the Cooler Master RGB cooler today, MSI had new software and MSI Center had new profiles for that cooler that I was missing with AMD's new x470 chipset drivers, User Scenario needs to be Extreme Performance mode for this cooler to let it boost in something like cpu -z test, it just was not boosting M/T on that test and now it is where it should be in default mode with Ryzen Master = https://valid.x86.fr/8mfph9

Last edited:
I was trying MSI Center out and how it controls the boost by picking a fan profile, I am sure one you could make this chip scream with tuning and better memory, that was two back- to - back runs of 10 pass tests and then what good ole Re Live Shaves off, the chip is free to do what it wants.

Last edited:
Just ordered an Assassin, looks like it will beat my Wraith Prism. I use PBO only and the Prism keeps my 3800X as cool as needed under gaming so I should have a little more margin and be able to mount it to the 5900X I just grabbed off the H.

I snagged two of the Micro Center 12700K combos for builds for friends. Do you think this would do a good job? One will be in a full-sized Torrent, the other the Torrent compact. Both friends do not want AIO's, as I don't blame them with the Torrents. Also, these will be gaming-only PC's, so I doubt the CPUs are going to draw a ton of power.

I snagged two of the Micro Center 12700K combos for builds for friends. Do you think this would do a good job? One will be in a full-sized Torrent, the other the Torrent compact. Both friends do not want AIO's, as I don't blame them with the Torrents. Also, these will be gaming-only PC's, so I doubt the CPUs are going to draw a ton of power.
I got the Thermal right Peerless Assassin 120 SE for my 5950x. I have a case with decent airflow, and I CPU mine on Nicehash. I run the CPU at stock speed, no PBO or anything else on. I keep the two thermalright fans at 100% for best cooling. The CPU runs at 100% load while mining, with an all-core speed of about 4350-4375Mhz, and at those settings the CPU temp stays at 74C. My home stays at 72F with my AC on.

Hardware Canucks did a review of this cooler and at a 260w load, it was performing similarly to the Dark Rock Pro 4 and within a couple of degrees of the Noctua NH-D15, on an 18-core 10980XE (at the expense of more noise). All credit goes to HC for their work on this review, so please go watch it.

1667598240985.png

Just ordered an Assassin, looks like it will beat my Wraith Prism. I use PBO only and the Prism keeps my 3800X as cool as needed under gaming so I should have a little more margin and be able to mount it to the 5900X I just grabbed off the H.
Just make sure your paste covers in full and not thin.

I ordered mine on the 1st of November and it is coming tomorrow (Amazon is so SlooooW if you don't pay for prime!)
I just have to figure out the proper way to remove the HSF without the CPU playing no I'm having an affair with mr Wraith Prism we are inseparable! LoL!

I wonder if I can just take the bracket screws out and have the heat-sink come off with the brackets still attached as I have to remove them anyway to attach the new unit?

Also what is "PBO" and do I need it? I tend to not install software for the motherboard other then the drivers that I need that other then what Windows 10 installs specifically audio drivers!! My receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-90) can do fancy decoding and SFX so I don't need extras.

I ordered mine on the 1st of November and it is coming tomorrow (Amazon is so SlooooW if you don't pay for prime!)
I just have to figure out the proper way to remove the HSF without the CPU playing no I'm having an affair with mr Wraith Prism we are inseparable! LoL!

I wonder if I can just take the bracket screws out and have the heat-sink come off with the brackets still attached as I have to remove them anyway to attach the new unit?

Also what is "PBO" and do I need it? I tend to not install software for the motherboard other then the drivers that I need that other then what Windows 10 installs specifically audio drivers!! My receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-90) can do fancy decoding and SFX so I don't need extras.
warm up the cpu and the twist the heatsink off.
pbo is the cpu boost in bios.

that would work, or just play/use something you already have installed, shutdown and twist it off.

I picked up some Mushkin Enhanced Redline Stiletto 2x8Gb kit in DDR4 3600 14-19-19-39 for $71, some of Newegg's Black Friday stuff, they look low profile and should fit, be here in afew days, hope the front fan is all I need to remove for the ram change out.

OK this cooler keeps my AMD Ryzen 9 5900X in check!

It is a lot quieter then the Wraith Prism not the difficult to mount either not fond of the fan brackets and if I had an Intel based PC the plastic back-plates would worry me

CoreTemp screen shot the "Max" is after about a 25 minute session of Prime95

CoreTemp_R9_5900X.jpg

Also my SSD seems to be running a lot cooler as well as my spinners seem to be cooler as well

It is a lot quieter then the Wraith Prism not the difficult to mount either not fond of the fan brackets and if I had an Intel based PC the plastic back-plates would worry me

View attachment 525338

Also my SSD seems to be running a lot cooler as well as my spinners seem to be cooler as well
Just curious why your clock speeds are so low..

View attachment 525338

Just keep in mind that you have two 5600x CCX under the hood to cool to my one.

Base clock for all cores are 3.7 ghz though.

I did a reboot (the cure all LoL!) and I only seem to get 3.6 GHZ do I have a defective chip or is it a BIOS setting or something else?

ah... fsb is at 75 too. idk then....

After said reboot I get 99.98 FSB so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Just keep in mind that you have two 5600x CCX under the hood to cool to my one.

I don't know what you mean by this sorry

I did a reboot (the cure all LoL!) and I only seem to get 3.6 GHZ do I have a defective chip or is it a BIOS setting or something else?

bios is up to date?
it bouncing around 100 is normal
you posted under his comment, i think he thought you were replying to him when you werent

How well would you all think this would handle a 13900k at stock settings? I’ll be building a custom loop in like 2 months but want to use air for the time being. Thanks

How well would you all think this would handle a 13900k at stock settings? I’ll be building a custom loop in like 2 months but want to use air for the time being. Thanks
13900k seems to run cooler than a 12900kf that mine kept in the 80s during a 10min c23 loop. youll get by as long as youre not fully loading the cpu for hours at a time.

I think your default speeds are okay now. I do think your settings are off in your bios. Is PBO enabled? Do you see frequency increases at random when you're running applications? Check this.

As for your old settings, I can't think of any reason why the mobo would have you 1ghz slower per core than default clock settings. Something seems off.

As for the last comment -
You have 12 cores versus six on the 5600x

I think your default speeds are okay now. I do think your settings are off in your bios. Is PBO enabled? Do you see frequency increases at random when you're running applications? Check this.

As for your old settings, I can't think of any reason why the mobo would have you 1ghz slower per core than default clock settings. Something seems off.

As for the last comment -
You have 12 cores versus six on the 5600x
I went into UEFI/BIOS and I did "Load Optimized Defaults" and just did the quick boot and boot device settings so it would boot Windows 10 and all seems to be fine now, I don't know much about the advanced settings and I guess I must have messed one up trying to enable the SVM for virtual box. All is well now

I threw one of these on my 12400f (because, why not?) and WOW. How the heck are they selling this so cheap?

I had to replace my memory sticks today, you will need to remove the video card, the front fan to reach dimm 2 slot, I didn't think it was a big deal myself and pretty sure I can get a M2 in the top slot without removing the cooler, I plan to buy an M2 soon just to try it.

I put the 5600x back in default mode to test the memory bump and cooler together.

Muskin Redline running 3600Mhz 16-19-19-39-83-1

https://valid.x86.fr/n9hppc

Last edited:
I threw one of these on my 12400f (because, why not?) and WOW. How the heck are they selling this so cheap?
Probably because it's not copper based. Can't imagine how good it be with one.

Back